GUIDE: Install Windows Vista, 7 and 8 from a flash drive!

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by criccio, Jan 3, 2009.

1. criccio

criccio Fully Equipped

That "MS crap" as you put it just works, and is much preferable to the many people that need a thread like this to figure this stuff out. Hell, I did it with the command line well before I decided to make a thread about it so imagine the pithy jokes I could make about you and your "GUI crap".

Have a nice day.

:D

2. D4rkn3ss

D4rkn3ss 2[H]4U

oh i didnt mean to be offensive, it was just a fast way to put the link and yeah i did it too before but is not needed anymore ;)

what GUI crap?

3. dashpuppy

dashpuppy [H]ardness Supreme

Thanks for the first post link, will try this in a few days.

Ordered a new laptop and it doesn't have a cd rom and I wish to make a USB cd so I can install windows 7 if I need to.

Thanks

4. trick0502

trick0502 [H]ardness Supreme

anyone know if this works with win ser 2008r2? i cannot get it to work. the ms tool doesnt work and when i do it the way described in this guide it doesnt work.

is there a way to install win ser 2008r2 without a dvd drive?

5. D4rkn3ss

D4rkn3ss 2[H]4U

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038506229&postcount=6

6. dogbert_2001

dogbert_2001 Limp Gawd

How to install Windows 7 from a UEFI USB Flash Drive

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...p/thread/ceca6149-bedd-4860-8a7f-a1c83bf99aa4

7. techpun

techpun n00b

wow this is awesome, thanks

8. Spades45

Spades45 Limp Gawd

9. Hellwind

Hellwind n00b

used the windows 7 usb tool to install Server 2012 standard RC on a SSD without issue.

10. X577

X577 n00b

I'd like to install Windows 7 from a USB drive with all the latest updates like the service packs, etc. Is it possible to do this?

11. techtechie

techtechie Gawd

im having the same problems let me know if get something figured out I thought Google should be my friend but it didn't help me any. in my opinion it has something to do with the iso or the flash drive that a person uses but haven't been able to test my theories.

12. techtechie

techtechie Gawd

just offering my opinion here if any body is skipping the cmd crap and just use a software called rufus tool. I have used lots of them unetbootin the one for windows 7 one for windows 8 and rufus is the one I have found to be the best application if you have the iso use rufus tool here: http://rufus.akeo.ie/

13. mihawk

mihawk n00b

much fast than cd installation
    and I think ultraiso can do this job instead of typing code

14. seanmcd

seanmcd [H]ard|Gawd

Someone should erase the OP's post and put a link to Rufus. I wasted an hour or so trying to get a new z87x board to boot off of a usb drive until I found the Rufus utility. I've used to create Windows 7 boot usb and a VMware ESXi boot usb with a few clicks of the mouse.

15. TroyX

TroyX [H]ard|Gawd

use USB 2.0 ports when you install Windows 7, for Windows 8/8.1 you can use USB 3.0 or 2.0 ports.

16. jon666

jon666 Limp Gawd

Glad I read through the entire thread before attempting to install new mobo, and Win7. Thanks for the heads up Troy. I want this to be as painless as possible. It is monday after all.

17. Capnblinski

Capnblinski n00b

Thought I'd throw in my two cents whilst learning how to create a bootable Vista USB drive.

Using the basic 7 or 8 step DISKPART procedure and finishing with the 'assign' then the 'exit' commands, I manually selected then copied over all the files from my the original DVD install disc to the USB drive. When that was done, I removed and then re-inserted the drive and the 'run setup.exe.' install screen came up in auto-runs showing the operating system as ready to install - exactly the same as when I use the DVD re-install disc.Good good - installing from the USB drive appears to work just fine. When I tried the further steps of using the 'bootsect' and 'nt60' commands with another USB drive, all that seemed to do was to start copying the DVD install to the USB automatically.

So I see no use for the further complications either, as those last two commands seem finicky.

18. atom

atom Gawd

DELETE

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  19. Tiberian

Tiberian DILLIGAFuck

You can't delete some stuff or uninstall some programs to make room for things until the upgrade is finished?

20. scharfshutze009

scharfshutze009 [H]ard|Gawd

Everytime there is a new Windows OS this crappy guide on how to create a Bootable WIndows USB flash drive gets posted. Yes those instructions work or should work according to my Windows 7 Pocket Book. However, this method ruined one of my flash drive in the attempt to do at least on one occasion because it burnt up the memory controller and the flash drive refused to format. If you must know the flash drive was a cheap lexar that came in a three pack, but why should that matter. The fact is that this is not the best way to create a bootable usb flash drive despite that knowing how to do this from the command line is and can be very useful when it does work. Microsoft didn't help when they discontinued the option to download Windows USB creator or whatever it's called, which pretty much can only be found on Cnet the worst place to download anything, because of the ads that can direct you to download malware or viruses by mistake.

If you ask me I personally believe that YUMI from pendrive linux or maybe linux live usb creator are better tools or ways to create a bootable or mult-boot flash drive. Once you try it you'll see why. You may need SD formatter to erase your flashdrive to prepare it for this program especially if you followed the OP's instructions on how to do it from the Windows command line. Whatever, you do though don't download Linux live usb creator, which is only available for windows from the site claiming to be the official site for that because it's a virus and I fell for it too, so believe me don't do it and do yourself a favor if you want to try it and just download it from Pendrive Linux instead. At point Pendrive even warned about the dangers of downloading Linux Live USB from that source if they no longer do, so I'm not making it up and I hope you see that message too, so we're on the same page. Once you use these tools you may never want to go back to doing it the way the OP and everyone who makes guides like this keeps suggesting. That's all and I hope that was more helpful than what these guides tell you to do.

21. Tiberian

Tiberian DILLIGAFuck

It doesn't get "reposted" - it's a Sticky post that's been in place for many years now and the info in it is still accurate and valid since Windows late-Vista days just as Windows 7 was being released because that's when Microsoft created the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool (the original name for the utility, then reduced to just Windows USB/DVD Download Tool). It's been available for download from the place it was first posted for many years now:

https://wudt.codeplex.com/

It was available through a Microsoft Store link for a period of time because people were buying Windows 7 upgrades (and full versions) online and downloading them but not able to get it installed from USB devices properly.

Yes there are many other tools one can use to create the USB stick to do this: Rufus, Unetbootin, WinToUSB, YUMI, whatever, but there's only one "official" tool and that's the one I just linked to (which you're saying isn't available anymore but it is - Codeplex is Microsoft's free open source hosting site (which it even says on the home page of that site).

If you had issues with a particular USB stick then it's the fault of the stick, seriously: there's nothing that a piece of software is going to do to "burn up the memory controller" - USB sticks by and large are unreliable right when you need them not to be, more often than not. I've got some USB sticks I've had for over a decade now and I've owned several hundred over the years - I still have one from the last COMDEX show that happened here in Las Vegas about 12 years ago and it works great, 128MB which ain't good for much but I use it to make boot "disks" as needed for various purposes.

Having said that, shit goes bad, and just because something is brand new in the box doesn't mean it'll work 5 mins after you unbox it and start using it, that's just how things go.

The instructions provided in the OP were some I used myself long ago until that Microsoft tool appeared - and I never had issues using the diskpart method on dozens of USB sticks of various brands and sizes. But as soon as that Microsoft tool became available I stopped doing the diskpart method and used that tool and almost 7 years later I'm still using it and it is still the only tool that I personally recommend to make a USB from a Microsoft built ISO - that's just me, of course, but it's because it's never failed me in use of several thousand installs with a few hundred sticks.

YMMV, but that's life.

22. mesasone

mesasone Limp Gawd

Anyone know who to get a clean windows 7 ISO to use with the USB media creation tool? I need to do a fresh install on a co-workers (personal) laptop, but the digital river links no longer work and Microsoft's ISO download page requires a windows key - but won't accept OEM or upgrade keys. What a freaking head ache. It's hard to believe they bungled something so simple to the extent they did.

Walling off the download behind a key-wall (that doesn't even accept 3/4s of the keys out there...) is idiotic, since you have to have a valid key to activate windows anyway and if you were going to use some kind of activation hack you would have no trouble getting an ISO from a bittorrent tracker or other shady source.

Mean while legitimate customers are getting shafted. But I digress. Any advice on how to get a clean ISO with out wading through trackers would be appreciated.

EDIT: Looking for Home premium 64 bit.

23. ReCOde

ReCOde Limp Gawd

Lol, Linux fan ^

I've done it before, and has worked perfectly fine. Good post.

24. Zahid Iqbal

Zahid Iqbal [H]Lite

I have used XBoot and WinToFlash. and word very well for installing windows from USB

25. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

I've done it at lest two dozen times, if not more while XP was still a thing at my workplace.

26. rezerekted

rezerekted 2[H]4U

27. AndreRio

AndreRio [H]ard|Gawd

man!! I know about usb install oses for a long time. you guys are late.

28. MrGreg62

MrGreg62 Lurker

Did you even look at the date the thread was started? There's someone late here and it's not the original poster.

29. scharfshutze009

scharfshutze009 [H]ard|Gawd

Screw this way if I want to use a flash drive to install Windows I use YUMI or the dd command in Windows, which can be done as follows:

Get dd for Windows (chrysocome.net - dd for windows)

Start a command line console (StartMenu->Run... and type "cmd"). Note that you might need to run the console with administration priviledges (StartMenu->Run...type "cmd" then right click on "cmd.exe" -> Run As Administrator) or use the runas command in cmd otherwise you might not see and access the whole drive (Partion0).

Find the device name of your USB flash drive by typing this command:

dd --list --filter=removable

This will output the device name of the removable disks present on your system. You can guess the name by looking at the drrive size or by executing this command before and after plugging your USB flash drive.

The device name looks like this:\\?\Device\flashdrive[x]\Partition0 where x is the disk number. (Partition0 always represents the entire disk and not a real partition)

Be sure to verify by all means that it is correct device name as the following command will erase everything on that drive!

dd if=the/path/to/your/unzipped/windows-image of=\\?\Device\flashdrive[x]\Partition0

Where \\?\Device\flashdrive[x}\Partition0 is your USB device.

If you'd like to unplug the USB flash drive, be sure to eject it properly using the usual "Safely remove device" button in the task bar.

30. blkt

blkt Gawd

Microsoft's tool uses NTFS. You need FAT32 among other things if you have UEFI. Just use Rufus.

bill-and-ted-rufus.jpg

pendragon1 likes this.
  31. Alberto Hurst

Alberto Hurst n00b

Thanks man, Its a great guide for installing windows vista, 7 and 8.

pendragon1 likes this.