GUIDE: High Res 27" 2560x1440 Monitors, wuw to know!

Gunlex00

n00b
I originally made a thread asking for someone to point me in the right direction regarding these well priced 27" korean IPS screens, and got little to no help. SO, I put in some seriously hours reading through some threads, and wrote this to help the community!!

Read on.

So after a very long research night(4am), I pulled the trigger on this:

ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-Lite $284.50 w/ shipping

To try and save the community time and sanity, I will go into great detail of how I came to this decision.

The three Korean panel ebay contenders were the Shimian, Crossover, and of course the Catleap monitors. Reading everywhere it appears that none of the Catleap monitors(the only brand that could possibly be 120hz) would be 120hz, because 120hz.net is the sole place where you can get those panels for the near future(they are supposibly getting a shipment in this upcoming week).

120hz panels
After much research about how they are essentially hacking/moding these displays to get that 120hz, I didn't like the idea of the possibly overworked display dieing on me. While a 120hz panel would be great, I didn't feel the risk, wait, and possibility of the seller being gone soon was worth it, especially being that 120hz.net is merely an internet company, that could poof at any moment; not worth the $400+ price tag, to me.

Inputs - (and lag)
It looks like each brand has their own model with varrying inputs, but one thing remained the same, the price was always higher. Inputs would have been nice(the model I got has only a DVI-D input), but the addition of other inputs requires a scaler, which adds input lag(at least some, possibly a TON), not to mention these "higher end" models have OSDs(on screen displays) which ad their own input lag. Being that I'm going to use this monitor mainly/solely for gaming, I wanted the lowest input lag possible, and wasn't going to worry about having other inputs. I also found a graph of some of these monitor's input lag(Link)(actually it appears this is a graph of pixel response...but someone has tested an input lag of 4-8ms...double bonus) and it showed the avg input lag for the QH270-Lite to be only 11.2ms, a very good number. Granted the other brands base models may also have this low of input lag, I couldn't find any hard facts, so while I wasn't going to trust this number, it was nice to see. I had also read 2 very good reviews on the Shimian, by well known tech websites.

Ebay Sellers
So I had made up my mind, the Shimian it was. But I had to decide who to buy from, and that is where most of my time was spent. I read through 40+ pages of the Shimian thread, and after noting everyone's experience with each seller, this is what I found;

Red-cap - One user's monitor died within 3hrs, they sent an RMA form, and the seller paid for return shipping, and shipping of another monitor; fast response. I also like their pixel policy, 1 dead/stuck in the middle and it will be replaced, 5 total is also a replacement. Two users didn't get pixel perfect and had flawless monitors. 2-3 days shipping avg

Bigclothcraft - multiple reports of faulty monitors(power bricks possibly) and the seller not responding to messages. Must pay for replacement brick if defective($50). 2-3 days shipping avg

Dhsummer - only one commentor; 1 stuck pixel, 4 days shipping.

Ta_planet - only one commentor; paid return shipping on defective unit.

Cool-guys - Didn't respond to messages, defective unit, completely SOL

Accessorieswhole - Fast shipping...I lost my notes on them, but something steered me away.

With this info, I liked red-caps pixel guarantee more, and the helpful RMA process was what I was looking for; I was sold.

Pixel Perfect
There were at least 2 reports by commentors in the Shimian thread that they had purchased the "pixel perfect" option, and received panels with stuck or dead pixels, one even had mediocre to bad back light bleeding; that was all I needed to know, I wasn't biting. I also read 2 reviews that DID NOT get the pixel perfect guarantee, and had no stuck/dead pixels. tl:dr DONT GET PIXEL PERFECT, its a hoax; I think they have the noobs looking for pixels...cuz let's face it how hard is that job really...Granted on this display the pixels are incredibly small, people report its very hard to even notice a single dead pixel; unless of course you are looking using a full screen of a single color.

So that's my roundup, I've officially wasted my Saturday morning sleeping in because I was up so late, and writing this. I did consider the Microcenter panels, but they are more expensive, and I'd have a 5+ hour drive to get one...not worth the time/gas$. If you have any questions feel free to ask, I've gathered a ton of info the last few days.

Edit: I didn't consider any American made models, because the cheapest was an HP, at $700.

UPDATE: It arrived yesterday! Ordered Friday night(midnight), arrived Wednesday noon.

Packaging was adequate, literally it was just the monitor's retail box, but the inside was padded well enough around the corners and front/back that I wouldnt be too worried about transportation damage.

Picture wise this thing is awesome; coming from a 27" Asus with AG coating, I can definitely see an improvement in colors/clarity. The negative I have is the black levels, it seems like they are very light, but I think I may need to do adjustments, which I'm waiting to do until I get my gtx 670, to replace my 5830s.

One dead pixel. But as people have said, the pixels are so small it's hard to even notice it, and I never do unless I go looking for it.

Overall very happy with my purchase thus far, let's hope this thing lasts for years to come!!

UPDATE #2: I think the black levels issue I'm having is actually backlight bleed...As it's primarily the bottom corners that have terrible black levels. If someone could help me confirm, I can take pictures, let me know!

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you say you researched "every" american dealer then you were sadly mistaken. Overlord Computer Co. Is offering 120MHz monitors as we speak for preorder in Perfect Pixel if you wish. Look them up or contact me for details. Plus its cheaper than any other brand out there right now.

If you say you researched "every" american dealer then you were sadly mistaken. Overlord Computer Co. Is offering 120MHz monitors as we speak for preorder in Perfect Pixel if you wish. Look them up or contact me for details. Plus its cheaper than any other brand out there right now.

$338.56 inc shipping for me...for a "pre-order"? No thanks.

Once again, another company I really have no reason to trust. Granted their policy seems pretty good, and if they would have had availability now, or at a definitive date, I would have even waited. No dead pixel policy for 1yr, and all components covered for 1 year, sounds great; just hope they are still around a year from when you buy.

edit: tldr; not sadly mistaken
But here is a link for u

I am sorry I missed your original thread. There is another American company that has a very good product. It is the new Nixeus monitor. http://www.nixeus.com/ Check here for some discussion on it. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1714038 http://www.overclock.net/t/1286519/nixeus-vue-27-s-ips-2560x1440-led-monitor-nx-vue27-usa-brand

At the least you can add it to your guide as another possibility. Micro Center also sells one that looks like the Nixeus but it has different components. It is called the Auria and they sell it for $400.

The Nixeus is out of stock until October 9th.

Last edited:
I am sorry I missed your original thread. There is another American company that has a very good product. It is the new Nixeus monitor. http://www.nixeus.com/ Check here for some discussion on it. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1714038 http://www.overclock.net/t/1286519/nixeus-vue-27-s-ips-2560x1440-led-monitor-nx-vue27-usa-brand

At the least you can add it to your guide as another possibility. Micro Center also sells one that looks like the Nixeus but it has different components. It is called the Auria and they sell it for $400.

The Nixeus is out of stock until October 9th.

+1 for Nixeus also... I have their monitor and it is awesome! they have been around for 3 years, have reputable sellers for their other products and a few for the Nixeus Vue at the moment - their products including the Nixeus Vue were featured on quite a few publications.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/02/nixeus-27-inch-IPS-Vue-2560-1440/

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6131/nixeus-vue-27-a-430-wqhd-2560x1440-sips-led-monitor

Yes I did see these monitors, they are almost $150 more expensive, and they have more inputs and an OSD, aka, without a doubt more input lag. I have found I notice input lag very easily, to the point where I cant even play xbox on many HDTVs, I feel gimped.

Yes I did see these monitors, they are almost $150 more expensive, and they have more inputs and an OSD, aka, without a doubt more input lag. I have found I notice input lag very easily, to the point where I cant even play xbox on many HDTVs, I feel gimped.

There will be a review coming out soon from AnandTech... a section of their review will tell exactly how much input lag the Nixeus Vue has...

So far the Nixeus Vue monitor has a perfect rating on Amazon All 5's is pretty good for a new product. If someone had a beef they would surely post it and gripe to high heaven of how they were ripped off and to be WARE of the product.

The problem I have with site based product reviews is that they are telling people what to think and the mass just goes along (Sort of like politics).

I have not noticed lag while gaming, but I am not a run & gun type player either. I wonder how many people can really notice lag and and are good enough that their game play is actually affected by it, but see a review and based on that make a purchase decision. I have played Crysis 1 & 2 on this monitor and had no problem other than taking in the beauty that a tight dot pitch monitor gives. Sometimes you just want to look at things.

Last edited:
There will be a review coming out soon from AnandTech... a section of their review will tell exactly how much input lag the Nixeus Vue has...

Awesome, that will be great info. I definitely like how the stand can pivot, wouldnt mind a 27 for my secondary monitor too =P

NOTE: I just realized I didn't leave the guide open to peoples own personal preferences; if you are in search of a model with more input options just keep in mind your cost will be a little more, but follow the same basic logic I did in the guide.

ALSO keep in mind that overlord computer will likely be selling again shortly, and while their prices are slightly higher, their warranty policy is likely worth the cost.

120hz.net
I've totally thrown this place out, $555 is almost double what I paid, and they dont even guarantee 120hz capability of your monitor, they even specifically state not to expect it...what a joke.

There's no need to negatively comment on 120hz.net or any other site without any experience with them. There's several hundreds of people who have purchased a 120hz monitor from them that are highly satisfied. Even if you wanted a 120hz monitor, it would be pretty difficult for you to get one because of the demand.

There's no need to negatively comment on 120hz.net or any other site without any experience with them. There's several hundreds of people who have purchased a 120hz monitor from them that are highly satisfied. Even if you wanted a 120hz monitor, it would be pretty difficult for you to get one because of the demand.

i bought one from 120hz.net in july and it is awesome.

its cheaper than any other brand out there right now.
song17.jpg
a93.jpg
song2.jpg
song18.jpg

you neglected to include 2 of the more popular sellers:

dcsamsungmall - one friend inquired about the power brick and he sent her 2 extras at 110v, no charge.
green-sum

Both of these sellers are top notch in my book. I've had multiple friends order from them and they had super fast shipping and received perfect displays.

I would buy from either of these two before I bought from one of the sellers on your original post.

you neglected to include 2 of the more popular sellers:

dcsamsungmall - one friend inquired about the power brick and he sent her 2 extras at 110v, no charge.
green-sum

Both of these sellers are top notch in my book. I've had multiple friends order from them and they had super fast shipping and received perfect displays.

I would buy from either of these two before I bought from one of the sellers on your original post.
agreed, bought from green-sum near the very beginning of the real rush. He was getting overwhelmed with orders but made sure to contact me to apologize for the delay, and once shipped I received a perfect monitor quickly.

Also, I can't believe these are under $300 these days. I nearly crapped myself in excitement seeing them at ~$400

@Gunlex00, this is a good article and all, but what is the end result? Did you receive your orders? (I'm assuming no because you posted this 3 days ago...) How do they look? Would you recommend people hedge their bets and try this same route? Interested to hear your inputs. Please update your guide when you get it! Thanks, and great post!

@Gunlex00, this is a good article and all, but what is the end result? Did you receive your orders? (I'm assuming no because you posted this 3 days ago...) How do they look? Would you recommend people hedge their bets and try this same route? Interested to hear your inputs. Please update your guide when you get it! Thanks, and great post!

I will definitely update once I receive the monitor. So far shipping is insanely fast, it's already in Cali on its way to me in WA. I asked a question regarding the power brick, because there was a misprint on the listing (100-240v), so i asked to make sure it was indeed a 110-240v power adapter, and he responded promptly[yes].

UPDATE: It arrived yesterday! Ordered Friday night(midnight), arrived Wednesday noon.

Packaging was adequate, literally it was just the monitor's retail box, but the inside was padded well enough around the corners and front/back that I wouldnt be too worried about transportation damage.

Picture wise this thing is awesome; coming from a 27" Asus with AG coating, I can definitely see an improvement in colors/clarity. The negative I have is the black levels, it seems like they are very light, but I think I may need to do adjustments, which I'm waiting to do until I get my gtx 670, to replace my 5830s.

One dead pixel. But as people have said, the pixels are so small it's hard to even notice it, and I never do unless I go looking for it.

Overall very happy with my purchase thus far, let's hope this thing lasts for years to come!!

Turn down the brightness levels to near-minimum. Really, turn them to whatever works, but be aware that you will get used to whatever you set it at, so even if it looks too dim, try it for a day. It will really help your black levels and it is also how displays are meant to be viewed. Unfortunately, marketers managed to decide that max brightness is a "feature" :(.

Turn down the brightness levels to near-minimum. Really, turn them to whatever works, but be aware that you will get used to whatever you set it at, so even if it looks too dim, try it for a day. It will really help your black levels and it is also how displays are meant to be viewed. Unfortunately, marketers managed to decide that max brightness is a "feature" :(.

Yeah, i've turned down the gamma, birghtness and contrast. I'll get it dialed in better once I get my new card.

Updated main post.

Hmm, trying to figure out if I should order from eBay and get the pixel perfect of the Achieva 27", or buy locally and pay $75 more but have the luxury of a one year warranty through them with the option to exchange if something goes wrong. The only thing is that although they test all panels coming into their shop, they don't offer a pixel perfect guarantee. What do you guys think?

If you mean overlord they DO offer pixel perfect. "Pixel Perfect" off of ebay with these monitors is generally considered a scam by people on OCN and here. Alternatively, go to microcentre and grab an Auria for $400 (same panel as these, but obviously you can test and return etc).

If you mean overlord they DO offer pixel perfect. "Pixel Perfect" off of ebay with these monitors is generally considered a scam by people on OCN and here. Alternatively, go to microcentre and grab an Auria for $400 (same panel as these, but obviously you can test and return etc).

thanks for the reply, sno. these are actually achieva 27" models that our local computer store are selling.they got in another batch last week, but unfortunately the bulk of them had problems of some sort and needed to be sent back to their supplier. even though it is $350 through them, i guess that it us worth something knowing they test them before hand and offer a local one year warranty should something go wrong. just too bad they don't have some sort of pixel perfect option when buying. as is, they will exchange if you have one dead or bright pixel in the center of the screen, or over five elsewhere.

Another common comment is that 1-2 bad pixels are unnoticeable in general use, including most gaming. However, I think it's cool a local shop is selling them there. If I were you I'd support local.

Depends on the pixels, dead pixels doesnt really matter due to the pixel density, however a stuck pixel in a strong color is a bit of an irritation.

Ordered it! Should be here next week. Also got a GTX 670 to replace my GTX 470 video card as well as an SSD drive. Should give my machine a little more pep! Anyone here done an upgrade from a Dell 2405 to one of the Korean 27"ers? Was the difference in quality noticeable?

Scam? Overlord Computers sound like the real scammers to me charging $25 for pixel perfect when everyone should be getting A grade panels and have a chance at Pixel Perfect based on their definition and advertisement of A grade panels. A Grade Panel Batches = 70% No Pixel Defects and A- Grade = 50% No Pixel Defects. For example if Overlord Computers have 200 units of their Overlord Tempest and they sold 140 units to customers whom paid $25 for Pixel Perfect = the rest of the 60 units may have pixel defects so it is no longer an A Grade Panel Batch. Overlord have manually effectively degraded the Panel Batch to WORST than 50% … EVEN WORST THAN the A- Grade for Panel Batches that allowed for 50% of panels to have pixel defects. This was one of the reasons why HyperMatrix from 120Hz.net argued with ScribbyDaGreat (Owner of Overlord Computers). Another reason HyperMatrix was not happy about was that Overlord wasn’t going to offer customer friendly warranty/RMAs – until a big outcry from potential customers made them revised their warranty. Also they are trying to build hype and attract customers by marketing 120Hz capable monitors which may or may not work because they may be using binned Catleap 2B PCB that for some reason were not used for normal production.

Not too long ago they had to use shady misleading marketing tactics to try to get the attention of California Schools to become their customers for their NEW consulting business known as Scribner & Smith and to use their mandated accounting systems services provided by their company MAX8550:

http://www.news10.net/news/article/...s-Letter-Not-So-Funny-Controllers-Office-Says

Look they have the exact same NEW business address so I know I'm not making a mistake or saying wrong information:

overlordfacebookaddy.jpg

max8550contactinfo.jpg

Today I spoke to an old high school buddy of mines who was an assistant superintendent for a school district. When I inquired about Scribner & Smith he forwarded me the shady misleading letter that Scribner sent out to schools and school districts to try to get customers for his consulting business:
aprilfoolsletter.jpg

If you look at the addresses in the shady misleading letter above (David Scribner aka ScribbyDaGreat is pretending to be a government office) "masquerading as an official letter from the State Controller’s Office" - they match Scribner’s old business address:

stevesmithdavidscribner.jpg

My advice is this:

If you are looking for a bare bone 2560x1440 IPS Monitor with only DVI-D input go with PROVEN reputable Ebay sellers such as BigClothCraft, AccessoriesWhole, TA_Planet and RedCap.

If you are in the USA looking for Multi-input 2560x1440 and peace of mind go with Auria from Microcenter or the Nixeus Vue.

If you are hardcore and want a 120Hz capable monitor for gaming: Go with 120Hz.net and get it from HyperMatrix and Greensum – last time I checked they secured A Grade LG Panels(better than A- Grade) for the 120Hz Catleaps! Some of my friends bought from him and they are overall more than satisfied with their experience and their 120Hz Catleaps. When some of my friends asked for refunds because the wait was too long HyperMatrix refunded their money. But more Catleap 2B Monitors with new A Grade Panels came back in stock this week so they placed their orders again.

Thank goodness HyperMatrix handled the money transaction for 120Hz.net and NOT SribbyDaGreat AKA David Scribner! Becareful and protect yourself by getting monitors from proven reputable sellers and reputable brands.

Last edited:
What a weak set of arguments by a 120HZ.net fanboy:
No evidence presented in that post makes me worried. Here is why:
1) The individual has not obviously read Sctribby's definition of "pixel perfect" and the additional work provided to check each panel individually. Their gripe holds no water and is borderline gibberish.

2)Yes, Mr. Smith did get a slap on the wrist for some questionable business tactics. However, reading carefully you will see that no one admitted guilt in this scandal. No jail time, nothing on anybody's criminal record. Sounds to me like a disgruntled employee made a $900,000 cash cow from a bloated and mismanaged company. Also, Scribby's name comes up no where in the article.

3)Scribby obviously has to have another day job to make ends meet (some sort of consulting firm). Not a big deal. Same address, why not run multiple businesses from the same store front for a while.

4) This is the kicker. The letter showing John Chiang's seal from the State Controller Office and a alleged scam proposed (by the individual on HardForum, scary that he said he is a teacher).
If you actually read the article, it says "April Fools!!!!" on the other side on this memo. It was a joke to get more business for his consulting firm. No charges were filed, no one went to jail, no one got scammed. Yes, he was told not to do this sort of thing again. But no one got scammed, this letter was taken out of context.

So as you see, this is just another try by the Catleap/120HZ.net fanboy's at discrediting Scribby.

What a horrific and poorly written attempt to discredit Overlord...

Pumpkinhead

Scribby replied to this over on his own Overlord Forums, as follows:

"Wow. Just wow.

I am not sure where to start here. I will say first that this is clearly a desperate attempt by a person who is simply trying to discredit me and my company. I will address the issues laid out in the post.

There are numerous misstatements here, half truths, and some truth. Here we go:

First, Steve Smith is not involved in Overlord, has not been my partner in any endeavor since 2008, and we were only partners in a completely unrelated (to Overlord) company Scribner & Smith for two years - from 2007-2008. Mr. Smith is currently employed by the State of California.

Second, I was never part of Steve Smith's company Mandated Cost Systems. In fact, during that time I was a state attorney working for the Commission on State Mandates. I was never employed by MCS although I knew Steve from his work before my Commission.

Third, we did issue the marketing April Fools campaign when Scribner and Smith launched on April 1, 2008. It was a full color, two-page document that no sane individual could think was official. I agree in hindsight that it was not my best idea, but it was not on its face illegal. We were contacted that using the State Controller's logo without permission was against California Code, but nothing more than a warning was issued. Again, that was a mistake, but nothing in the letter (on either side) was intended to be misleading nor was it factually or legally incorrect. If people want to hold my company out for anything it was poor judgement in the use of a state seal. We apologized for that years ago.

Fourth, yes both businesses are now combined under one roof. Not sure what the problem with that is.

Fifth, I have had my own consulting company providing mandate-related support to school districts and charter schools for over eight years. I am not going anywhere.

I am not sure what else to say.

Now, I am sure there will be some sort of rebuttal and it will go on how these prior four points are incorrect. Fine. I have been a practicing attorney for years, have no record of discipline with the State Bar, I have never been convicted of any crime, and my only business mistake in my past was establishing a marketing campaign that some did not approve of (although plenty of others liked the message.) I have no reason to mislead anyone, nor have I made one single, solitary attack on anyone, their business, or their interests.

Overlord is not fraudulent. I am not out to steal from anyone or not provide a product. This would have to be the most elaborate hoax ever so that I could steal some money then go to jail since I never hid behind an avatar or lied about my intentions or where my company is. So the the fact that someone would go to all this trouble to try and discredit my company says more about the protagonist than Overlord.

I believe people are not stupid and can see through this kind of post for what it really is. I am quite frankly shocked that someone is so desperate to discredit someone they go to all this trouble and try to create issues where there really are none. In my mind, I believe everyone is as tired of hearing these kinds of lies as I am. I am working my tail off seven days a week to create something amazing. Not only for myself, but for the community as a whole. I am not hiding from my past - as long as it is placed in the correct light.

I understand some people may have felt uneasy after reading these facts. It made me sick since I had to relive an advertising mistake I made - a moment in time I am not proud of, but am not hiding from either. I have been nothing but open and brutally honest with everyone during the establishment of Overlord and will continue to do so. If anyone has any issues or concerns even after reading my response please do not hesitate to contact me directly at (916) 635-1500 or via email at [email protected]. I am not hiding from you or anyone else.."

Link: http://www.overlordforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=32#p164

Last edited:
All the information I posted is public and can also be found and referenced from information found on the internet. It is true that Mr. Scribner is not hiding from his past mistakes because everything can be found publically including the letter above forwarded to me via this link from Mr. Scribner's own website:

http://www.max8550.com/updates/april_fools_040108.pdf

For the sake of their customers, I hope Overlord is more forth coming in their advertisement and their marketing.

Well, I was going to purchase a monitor from Overlord since the Nixeus Vue became $500. And then I saw this, so I'm waiting for the LG EA93 21:9 LED IPS. Now I see his response, and I'm interested in buying again. Decisions...

The fact that ANY claim has been mentioned means that the stakes are high for Scribby annd that the customers are much more careful. I think only when monitors arrive and reviews are good.

All the information I posted is public and can also be found and referenced from information found on the internet. It is true that Mr. Scribner is not hiding from his past mistakes because everything can be found publically including the letter above forwarded to me via this link from Mr. Scribner's own website:

http://www.max8550.com/updates/april_fools_040108.pdf

For the sake of their customers, I hope Overlord is more forth coming in their advertisement and their marketing.

Dude you do realize that your are a hard-boiled piece of sh*t. Who's paying you to slander a new company? Pretty sad i must say, but im sure the Overlord will still be a "scam" when people start post pics and reviews of these monitors when they arrive. Im sure people will secretly be using catleaps or some other type of monitor right? Give me a damn break, a noobie to the forum who has more post dicrediting Overlord than you have of a decent relevant post. You should be banned, but i want to see what your going to say later when all preorders have been shipped.

And whoever said something about the preorder being a scam, is like saying when people waited for the nixues that it was going to be one. To this day you have to order and wait till the end of the month until they get restocked, im sure they have a great monitor but don't see people complaining about the wait time and the quality. The fact that this noob can attack a companies product like he works on the front line and sees these things being made and put together makes me disgusted.

Speaking about glossy monitors, I have a question:

Why is it when viewing an image with a lot of black on the glossy monitor will I have black crush? My initial thought is because I have it perhaps too bright (uncalibrated) and the backlight is messing up my eyes and causing the detail in the dark to be lost, because on any matte screen I can see the missing details perfectly.

It's one of the reasons why I may go back to matte with the new semi glossy HP (or dell). Anyone shed some insight?

I decided to pull the trigger on the Shimian Lite model this weekend and it was already shipped out today (Monday). The fedex tracking number estimates 7 days for delivery though. Has everyone gotten the same conservative delivery date, but just simply gotten it much sooner? I'm out next week so I was hoping to get it before then.

Speaking about glossy monitors, I have a question:

Why is it when viewing an image with a lot of black on the glossy monitor will I have black crush? My initial thought is because I have it perhaps too bright (uncalibrated) and the backlight is messing up my eyes and causing the detail in the dark to be lost, because on any matte screen I can see the missing details perfectly.

It's one of the reasons why I may go back to matte with the new semi glossy HP (or dell). Anyone shed some insight?

IPS screens are famous for poor blacks (aka contrast). I'm guessing that all the glossy screens you have seen are IPS. If black depth and contrast is the most important thing to you, I believe *VA (PVA, MVA, S-PVA etc) panels are the best choice, but they have plenty of their own issues.

I'm not an expert on this, so hopefully somebody else can explain.

Also, Jeez that's a lot of drama in this thread. I don't really think I'd trust the opinions of either "noobie 15 days" or "noobie 2 days" very much, to be honest.

Back