Guide: Fix for slow Windows 7 update after fresh install (Nov 2016)

First let me start off with a BIG THANK YOU!
I appreciate your easy to follow guide and it works great.

I found a guide that shows how to slipstream updates into Windows 7 SP1 iso

Dism /Image:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3020369-x64.msu

Dism /Image:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\updates\windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64_2dafb1d203c8964239af3048b5dd4b1264cd93b9.msu

If i wanted to simply go back to that ISO and add all the updates you recommend would i just continue adding updates with

Dism /Image:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\updates\Windows6.1-KB2670838-x64.msu

Dism /Image:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\updates\Windows6.1-KB2729094-v2-x64.msu

Dism /Image:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\updates\Windows6.1-KB2834140-v2-x64.msu

Dism /Image:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\updates\EIE11_EN-US_MCM_WIN764.EXE

Dism /Image:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3172605-x64.msu

Dism /Image:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\updates\Windows6.1-KB3179573-x64.msu

Dism /Image:C:\Win7SP1ISO\offline /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\updates\windows6.1-kb3212646-x64_a94cf69326099fb121cdd7daf9dfc558f740afb8.msu

Question #2

How do i slipstream the EIE11_EN-US_MCM_WIN764.EXE file?

Thanks in Advance
Eddie

tbh i used ntlite myself it make it alot easier and it support slipstream of IE11
oh and its free ;)

the iso i linked in my post contains all the updates including IE11. and i used nt lite to make it.

my own version that i used privatly has a few more changes like disabled diagnsotiic tracking service ( telemetry) as well as have drive letts in the front of the drive name ( im oldschoold)
and even usb 3.0 driver support installed for intel asmedia and nec.

in short: i would recommend to look into ntlite for easyness.

Wow great thread, wish I had found this before I had to do all the research on my own :mad: Thank you for sharing and I may just give your .iso a try!

I just wanted to say a big thank you to SvenBent for taking the time to put together, post, and keep updating this information. I just used the guide to do a clean install of Windows 7 and followed the guide and it was seamless and much quicker than I could have imagined. Your efforts are much appreciated.

I also wanted to thank Endalykt for his/her post of the bat file and host file update. I didn't know if I needed to run the bat and modify the host file after using Sven's guide, but I figured if I didn't, it wouldn't hurt anything, and if I did, I'd be completely covered. Then when I saw the "bushes of love" quote at the bottom of Endalykt's post, it sealed the deal for me..:)

So again, much thanks for your time and efforts, and much thanks to the owner and admin's of Hard Forum for providing a great place where like minded folks can share valuable information.

FYI, the March ISO contained the ei.cfg again (set for Home Premium).
my apologies.
Its simply because i always rebuild from scratth to keep the iso as clean as possible
however for future usa ive made a in between base build that just contains the "SP2" and IE11 but not monthly updates nor any usb3 drivers. This one has no ei.cfg in it so this should fix it for any future build ;)

my apologies.
Its simply because i always rebuild from scratth to keep the iso as clean as possible
however for future usa ive made a in between base build that just contains the "SP2" and IE11 but not monthly updates nor any usb3 drivers. This one has no ei.cfg in it so this should fix it for any future build ;)
No problem it's easy enough to delete (or edit) after creating USB flash drive from the ISO as opposed to burning to DVD. Thanks again for this!

Hmmm....using the latest SvenBent prepared install ISO (April), I am getting a lot of Event ID 1130 "NET Framework Optimization" (2.0.xxxx) errors in Event Viewer (version or flavor did not match with repository). So I tried install using the ISO from January 2017 with the same results. But when I install using Windows 7 SP1u (x64) install bits from genuine Microsoft DVD, these errors do not appear at any point when subsequently applying the major updates. The repository or components most affected/listed appear to be related to the Media Center component/feature (and a few mention the Games repository).

No need for any fixes anymore, Windows 7 updates having been working correctly for about the last 4 or 5 months or so. That said, having a fully up to date OS installer would be helpful if you do not have a particularly fast internet connection or are running off a hard drive as your main drive.

Hmmm....using the latest SvenBent prepared install ISO (April), I am getting a lot of Event ID 1130 "NET Framework Optimization" (2.0.xxxx) errors in Event Viewer (version or flavor did not match with repository). So I tried install using the ISO from January 2017 with the same results. But when I install using Windows 7 SP1u (x64) install bits from genuine Microsoft DVD, these errors do not appear at any point when subsequently applying the major updates. The repository or components most affected/listed appear to be related to the Media Center component/feature (and a few mention the Games repository).
Thank you for bringing this up. I'm about to reinstall my main machine and upgrade it form windows 10 to 7.
I'll see if i can reproduce this behavioer.

Thank you for bringing this up. I'm about to reinstall my main machine and upgrade it form windows 10 to 7.
I'll see if i can reproduce this behavioer.
During install of Windows 7, a number of components (or possibly interop assemblies?) are installed from a repository relating to NET Framework. I have attached the filtered Event Viewer log (ZIP file) showing the entries indicating successful installation of these components (locale is US -English). I did not save the log from the prior install showing the errors, but it is basically all those same components failing to install successfully because 'version or flavor' did not match with the repository.

I do not know if this is a known issue which already has a hotfix or patch pushed down through Windows Updates to address or solve? Or even whether it actually impacts function in any way and thus can be ignored?

{attachment deleted}

Last edited:
During install of Windows 7, a number of components (or possibly interop assemblies?) are installed from a repository relating to NET Framework. I have attached the filtered Event Viewer log (ZIP file) showing the entries indicating successful installation of these components (locale is US -English). I did not save the log from the prior install showing the errors, but it is basically all those same components failing to install successfully because 'version or flavor' did not match with the repository.

I do not know if this is a known issue which already has a hotfix or patch pushed down through Windows Updates to address or solve? Or even whether it actually impacts function in any way and thus can be ignored?

I finnaly got time to install windows 7 on my own machine. and i can confirm the behavioer. i am wondering if it dues to the image compression. i have to redoe the compression of optimize the install.wim to fit on a dvd as otherwise it is 4.9GB
I have made two version for may that im in the process of uploading. one with and one without the extra compression. the one without te extra compression has to go on a dual layer dvd or usb stick then.

Honestly, at least as far as a standard Windows 7 install goes, not a whole lot of point anymore, updates are fast again. However, I know there are those who could use things like drivers for the newest Sata and NVMe controllers and that would work really well for them if you could add them, thanks. (Oops, I do sometimes forget though, not everyone has a fast connection, in that case, this is definitely helpful.)

Honestly, at least as far as a standard Windows 7 install goes, not a whole lot of point anymore, updates are fast again. However, I know there are those who could use things like drivers for the newest Sata and NVMe controllers and that would work really well for them if you could add them, thanks. (Oops, I do sometimes forget though, not everyone has a fast connection, in that case, this is definitely helpful.)

newest sata and nvme driver are definitely a good idea. i just never though about it because i mainly do work on older computer so it going to be years before a nvme driver is actually something usefull for my workj, but i'll look into getting it into the next release. maybe some NIC as well. cuase it hard to downloade drivers for anything if the nic is not working

I'm still using the multiple step instructions on new installs, have it all on a thumb drive. Does save some time and less WU time spent downloading.

Did you test for prior issue discussed? How did you get even smaller file size over the previous ISO?
I changed the image compression optimizer which i have suspected being the issue for event log messages.

I have confirmed the "issues" but it seems to be mere cosmetic to me and at this moment i am not sure if the issues is still in this release.

oh and i did remove some Dot NET updates just in case this time

Big thanks to the OP for the continued work on this. +7, Windows 7 that is. :D

I have confirmed the "issues" but it seems to be mere cosmetic to me and at this moment i am not sure if the issues is still in this release.
I just tested the June ISO and the NETFX repository installation errors are still present in the new build as well. Not sure what it means, but I'm a stickler for not having any errors where I don't know if they are 'benign' or safe to ignore.

I just tested the June ISO and the NETFX repository installation errors are still present in the new build as well. Not sure what it means, but I'm a stickler for not having any errors where I don't know if they are 'benign' or safe to ignore.

man I was hoping it was a bug from the compression. I totally understand your stand on this. and thank you for testing it.
I am currently not working in the IT field anymore which is why I'm having a hard(er) time testing stuff.
if i was bakc at my old wokr icould have made all kinds of combinatiosn nad just taken 8 computer to install out and see what makes those errors pop up in the log.

However i have not had any issues on any machines I have installed on. so again i think its cosmetic but i do understand your precautions.

just a small update on the event ID thingy

it seems to be a general issues when intergrating updates into windows and has been going on for several years. which again puts evidence towards it beeing simply cosmetic
https://www.wincert.net/forum/index...-service-event-id-1130-how-to-solve-this-one/
however in the above link they do mention some fix'it to intergrate that will fix it. i will look into that for next months release

just a small update on the event ID thingy

it seems to be a general issues when intergrating updates into windows and has been going on for several years.
I read through eight or nine pages of the mydigitallife forums following that post and did not see any solution. The 'fix it' being discussed was for different unrelated errors (WMI and CAPI). Maybe a solution was eventually discussed but there are like a thousand more posts to that thread.

BTW I spent several hours experimenting with my own integrated images using NTLite. I tried integrating only the requisite KB3020369 Servicing Stack Update, with or without IE11, with and without KB3125574, etc. I even tried a multipass approach in the event that one of the requisites required rebooting prior to the Convenience Update. Integrating the big Convenience Update always results in those failed NET FX Optimization warnings no matter what else is or is not integrated.

I then tried installing KB3125574 during Post-Install (setup) phase rather than integrating with the others, using /promptrestart parameter. This actually works (adds about 10+ minutes to setup) but now receive a notification (in the task tray) about Group Policy not being configured properly. However, upon manually restarting, whatever was the problem with Group Policy is resolved, too, and everything looks fine in Event Viewer logs (including successful NET FX Optimization).

But I'm probably not going to use any of that. I am leaning toward just integrating the requisites, IE11, and such, then drop the Convenience Update file into an "updates" folder on the media so that it can be installed manually after Setup is complete. Or use the approach described in "Building Standard Image of Windows 7". Thanks again, though!

Last edited:
What date do these updates bring Windows 7 up to? I wouldn't want to install any non-security updated from July 2015 and onwards, because they are full of telemetry.
April 2016

The telemetry you get in those updates to the best of my knowledge is disableable
Spy bot anti beacon https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/ will do it for you
remember to also disable the NVidia driver telemetry

April 2016

The telemetry you get in those updates to the best of my knowledge is disableable
Spy bot anti beacon https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/ will do it for you
remember to also disable the NVidia driver telemetry

Eh, I'd much rather not install any of it in the first place. I have a June 2015 ISO of Win 7 Ultimate 64, and I'm just interested in applying non-telemetry security updates to it. There's nothing needed from the "quality" updates after that point, anyway.

At its most basic level for Home and Pro, Windows 10 collects between 2500 - 5000 different telemetry points. I imagine that the amount of telemetry that has been back-added into Windows 7 is obscene.

You'd be correct on that added telemetry which is why I still recommend using the simplix Update Pack to create an updated install.wim that you can then replace in an ISO if needed or just replace the installation files necessary on a USB stick or whatever. Just released a new one today, as a matter of fact (yes it's a Russian site, no I'm not going to get into the paranoia BS again, use it, don't use it, your choice but you'll probably need to use Google Translate or Chrome to comprehend what's going on):

http://update7.simplix.info/

It has no telemetry updates at all in it that I'm aware of, simplix is quite good at ferreting out that crap and never allowing it to sneak into the update pack contents so, it's still my go-to method to create an updated install.wim every month and for the past oh, 3 years or so without a single issue in hundreds of installs on client machines and mine as well.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
Eh, I'd much rather not install any of it in the first place. I have a June 2015 ISO of Win 7 Ultimate 64, and I'm just interested in applying non-telemetry security updates to it. There's nothing needed from the "quality" updates after that point, anyway.

At its most basic level for Home and Pro, Windows 10 collects between 2500 - 5000 different telemetry points. I imagine that the amount of telemetry that has been back-added into Windows 7 is obscene.
You are offcuuse always welcome to do however you want. I can only give you the information i have and from people running wireshack to see what their windows sends in/out of the network. but there is always i chance of faults

SvenBent, you're a rockstar!
Thankyou for your Win7 ISO with USB3/NVMe drivers.

I was able to create my own custom ISO with the USB3 drivers but couldn't extract the Samsung 950 drivers from their installation package. I'm guessing your image uses generic NVMe drivers?

In any case I've been unable to use my 950pro SSD since I updated my PC (Ryzen 1700, Asus CHVI Hero) a few months ago. Was stuck using my old 840 Evo SATA SSD as a boot drive.

Was considering the horrifying possibly of installing Win10 :( or transitioning to a dual boot with Linux Mint.

The Win7 install only took 15mins to complete. To finish installing everything else will take hours but your ISO cleared a major roadblock. Thanks again.
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Meeho
like this
Thanks SvenBent! BTW could you post an SHA-256 checksum of the ISO file?
First day at a new workplace so a bit worn out today. but i will post during this week and make sure to post hashes at every update

SvenBent, you're a rockstar!
Thankyou for your Win7 ISO with USB3/NVMe drivers.

I was able to create my own custom ISO with the USB3 drivers but couldn't extract the Samsung 950 drivers from their installation package. I'm guessing your image uses generic NVMe drivers?

In any case I've been unable to use my 950pro SSD since I updated my PC (Ryzen 1700, Asus CHVI Hero) a few months ago. Was stuck using my old 840 Evo SATA SSD as a boot drive.

Was considering the horrifying possibly of installing Win10 :( or transitioning to a dual boot with Linux Mint.

The Win7 install only took 15mins to complete. To finish installing everything else will take hours but your ISO cleared a major roadblock. Thanks again.
:)

Thank you.

I've integrated Intel NVME and Samsung NVME drivers

Intel:
Intel(R) Solid-State Drive P3700/P3600/P3500/P3520/750 Series
Intel(R) Solid-State Drive DC P3520 Series
Intel(R) SSD DC P4500/4600/4501/4601/4608 Series

Samsung:
Samsung NVMe Controller (hmm that is not that descriptive samsung)

Yeh, why waste w7 on new hardware at this point in the game
i didnt question it but youre right. i also feel that if youre trying to do this you should at least have the knowhow/skill to make a slipstreamed iso. otherwise, just stick to a standard current os...

Back