Guide: Dual Windows SMP Clients on a Quad

Successfully set up two services with F@H... Here's how.

Install F@H in a non-program files directory (donno if it matters, but what the hell, why chance it) I used C:\users\public\F@H-SMP1 and C:\users\public\F@H-SMP2 for my installs. (Actually, I installed it once and just made a copy of the folder).

Repeat all the instructions as follows for both directories...

Run the Install.bat file. > enter your login and password

Run fah.exe > Make sure you select the following settings! Choose defaults for the rest, or whatever you usually choose.

Launch automatically at machine startup, installing this as a service (yes/no) [no]? Y
Use Internet Explorer Settings (no/yes) [no]? N
Change advanced options (yes/no) [no]? Y
Machine ID (1-16) [1]? 1 for first copy, 2 for second, or whatever numbers you prefer. Just as long as they're different.

Ctrl C to close both windows once they're setup.

right click on Computer and select Manage
On the left select Services and Applications then on the right select Services.

Scroll down to find the two FAH@C:+directory+etcetc+fah.exe services.

Open each service and select the Log On tab.

Log on as: Select This account: and enter your username and password.

Select okay, and you should be able to Start each service. Check FahSpy to ensure everything is working fine. :D

Does anyone think it would be beneficial to create a separate user and run it under them?

Having both services on 1 user is fine. I personally don't like not being able to see the F@H clients. I prefer being able to close one if it hangs etc. So I never set them up as services.

But as above it will work.

Any advantage to configuring the client with 50% usage per SMP and 1/2 your memory versus using 100% CPU Usage and 100% memory?

Would they play nicer together and eek out more points?

Any advantage to configuring the client with 50% usage per SMP and 1/2 your memory versus using 100% CPU Usage and 100% memory?

i've been curious about this too, I set it for 100% cpu on both clients but split the memory in half.

i've been curious about this too, I set it for 100% cpu on both clients but split the memory in half.
When one client is uploading the completed WU, the other one won't utilize the full processing power if you set it at 50%. That might not seem like a crucial issue, but it might be significant if one client is experiencing problems like a server outage.

Ok one more SMP question:

What is with the time in the logs? It seems its 4.5hrs behind Central Standard Time which makes it difficult to know when something crashed. Its not just a military time thing, i can convert that in a heart beat... I am considering changing my computer clock to match the log clocks just so it is easier to figure out when events happen.

Suggestions?

Also my machines with 4GB memory only use 33% max with dual SMPs so that still means their working at around 500-600mb per client plus the OS... Since the SMPs have never filled up the memory I tend to keep memory usage at 4096 or 100% of avail memory.

The time in the log file is GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). For Central (including daylight savings time), it is GMT minus 5 hours to get your correct time. Adjust accordingly for your respective time zone.

I've got two Q6600's running at stock 2.4GHz under Vista x64 SP1. Both are averaging about 21mins per frame.

FahSpy is showing 2211 PPD combined on one box and 2352 combined on the other. Is that normal or should it be higher?

You need to be running two instances of the SMP install to a second directory and run the config and when it says which instance put 2, its one of the last questions under advanced options.

And then overclock overclock overclock. @ 3.6 Ghz you can get 4.6k-4.7k and 3.2Ghz you can get 4.2-4.4k PPD Pad mod will get you to what 3Ghz I think. you cover a pin on the cpu and it forces a 333 FSB x 4 for 1333. and 9x333 = 3Ghz that will have a nice impact.

Also do you have affinity changer installed? That ensure that 1 core isn't working on say 4 threads while the others are only working on 1. Keeps the points up basically.

Good luck!

Taxes are done and 2GB of RAM have been added to my Dell 530 Q6600 (not taped or OC'd :( yet) time to diddle with the machine.

A few quick questions:
Is anyone running the new client, two instances, on a quad?
Is it still just install in two different directories and number them differently?
Is affinity changer needed for Vista SP1?
Is Vista SP1 good or bad?

Any other pointers?

tia

You need to be running two instances of the SMP install to a second directory and run the config and when it says which instance put 2, its one of the last questions under advanced options.

And then overclock overclock overclock. @ 3.6 Ghz you can get 4.6k-4.7k and 3.2Ghz you can get 4.2-4.4k PPD Pad mod will get you to what 3Ghz I think. you cover a pin on the cpu and it forces a 333 FSB x 4 for 1333. and 9x333 = 3Ghz that will have a nice impact.

Also do you have affinity changer installed? That ensure that 1 core isn't working on say 4 threads while the others are only working on 1. Keeps the points up basically.

Good luck!

Somehow I missed your post. I had two instances running when I posted, and now have affinity changer installed. It's netting me 2800-3000PPD at 2.4GHz.

As far as overclocking goes, I have heat issues right now. CoreTemp is showing 60-65C on each core as it is. I've tried remounting the heatsink (AC Freezer 7 Pro), and it helped, but only by 1-2C. It actually was running 70-72C until I pulled the side panel off. So until I can get the heat problem under control, I won't be doing any overclocking (via pad mod)

1 word TRUE 55c max temps generally! or lap the cooler and processor you have.

1 word TRUE 55c max temps generally! or lap the cooler and processor you have.

The problem is airflow, Just pulling the case out of my desk drops them to 55-58c, but then it's in the way. If I direct a box fan on low into the case, the temps drop to 48ish.

The other system is offsite and runs around 60 with a stock Gateway cooler, but the airflow is much better in that case than this one (a Gateway GT5628).

As far as overclocking goes, I have heat issues right now. CoreTemp is showing 60-65C on each core as it is. I've tried remounting the heatsink (AC Freezer 7 Pro), and it helped, but only by 1-2C. It actually was running 70-72C until I pulled the side panel off. So until I can get the heat problem under control, I won't be doing any overclocking (via pad mod)

I've had two q6600's that I've lapped due to inconsistant IHS's mounted on the CPU. That has helped out quite a bit, but not everyone has the heart to do it. That being said, i couldn't believe how uneven they both were. The IHS was raised on the outside edges and in the middle, leaving a slight air pocket all the way around the center on both of them. :rolleyes:

I've had two q6600's that I've lapped due to inconsistant IHS's mounted on the CPU. That has helped out quite a bit, but not everyone has the heart to do it. That being said, i couldn't believe how uneven they both were. The IHS was raised on the outside edges and in the middle, leaving a slight air pocket all the way around the center on both of them. :rolleyes:

yeah, I'm not gonna lap mine. I thought about it, but it's just not worth losing the warranty over it. (although I have no qualms about pad modding :p)

Back