Guess who's speaking at my school tomorrow...

BillLeeLee

[H]F Junkie
Hint hint: his initials are RMS.

Founder of FSF, wrote the original EMACS (a text editor I love to hate ;) ), crazy guy beard.

Give up?

Richard Stallman

Yeah, he's the distinguised speaker we're having this week. Sounds interesting enough that this would be the first time I ever go to a colloquium/distinguished lecturer. Just hope he doesn't sound too much like a madman tomorrow. :p

No Dennis Ritchie, no care.

J/K, that's cool. And I'd love to meet the guy who wrote vi, I definatly have a few suggestions on what he could have done differently with his editor.

Well, I'd certainly want Ritchie or perhaps even Torvalds over RMS, but you can't win them all. ;)

But what's with all these pioneers always having these crazy guy beards? Ritchie, Ken Thompson, Steve Wozniak, RMS. Is it like some kind of secret society?

As for the guy who wrote vi, that's Bill Joy, co-founder of Sun Microsystems. I think my software engineering/compilers professor knows him.

Richard Stallman is the man dude.

He needs to lose some weight though, he doesnt make a very good hippy right now.

Just hope RMS doesn't sing...

The beard thing is the "unix beard," as I like to call it. Seems like all the unix greats have had one at some point.

rms came to Truman a couple years ago and it was pretty cool. We're a pretty small school so we don't get many celebrity-type people coming around. He was pretty funny, though. He even dressed up as saint ignucius(of the church of emacs) at the end. :D

Back