Guess we know why doom 3 runs better on a 6800.

Old news...and nothing more than flamebait...
John Carmack told BOTH nVidia and ATi, what he wanted the new grapichs cards to be able to long time ago...
nVidia listened..Ati didn't...

Terra - Get a life troll :rolleyes:

I hope that part about the troll is part of your sig....

I called YOU a troll... :rolleyes:
Clear enough? :)

Your post has nothing new to it, it's old "news" and I fail to see the point?
That one company chooses to listen to the creator of some of the most used game engines, is hardly any surprise...would be stupid not to at least take a look at his requests...

Much like Ati co-operated with Valve, only problem there is that is was for LAST generations cards (FX5xx0 vs. 9xx0), but I don't se you bitching about that, wich makes you a troll...
That Valve then "fumbled" the ball, and Halflife2 has been delayed more than once, making them "skip" that generation of cards are just though luck...

Either you should have complained over BOTH Doom3 and Halflife2, and the way GFX-makers and gamedevelopmenters work together (that would haven been unbiased, no-flamebait or just simple logic), or you should have done noting...

You did neither, wich make you a troll

Terracide - Now get over it...

You jump to a lot of conclusions, all of them wrong.
That make you a lot things but I wont go into that here.

I forgot to add that the most posts I have seen from you have been troll posts :)
That you don't like me for saying this, well, not something that, will spol my day :)

Terra - This thread should be locked..there is too much trolling(form both "sides") inhere...

Terra said:

no, it is YOU that is a TROLL for coming into the man's thread and starting trouble for nothing.

he's just pointing out a link and nothing more. sheez...........

(you gotta love people who call other people trolls when yet if they wanna see a real troll then need to look no farther than in a mirror...)

Terra said:
Terra - This thread should be locked..there is too much trolling(form both "sides") inhere...

heh, looks who's talking... :rolleyes:

Terra said:
I forgot to add that the most posts I have seen from you have been troll posts :)
That you don't like me for saying this, well, not something that, will spol my day :)

actually, you're the one trolling and namecalling now

The last time I looked the title of this thread was
Guess we know why doom 3 runs better on a 6800.

It's not about who is and is not a Troll in this forum. If you have a problem with a thread or post then do what you are supposed to and report it to the Mods and Admins of the forum using this link
report.gif
for them to look at and handle it. But keep the comments and thread crapping out of the forum. If you don't like the content of the thread close it and move on.

as said before, carmack told both companies what he wanted in a card. nvidia just happen to make the better card this time around. just like ati's 9800 and 9700 happen to be the better card for the past 2 generations. its gone back and forth between them for a while. nvidia had the geforce ddr, geforce 2 gts, geforce 3 and ati had the radeon 9700, 9800. im sure theres more in there but i cant remember all of the ati winners.

hay guys, my video card makes me cool because a website on the internet says it's better than your card which earns me 10 cool points easily surpassing your total :cool:

I really hadnt seen anything in print about nvidia optimising for doom3 before.. kinda floored me when he basically said they designed it according to the game engine.... not the game designed around the architecture....

I was just thinking this makes it a little different than the standard explanation around here, being..atis open gl drivers suck, ....so maybe it really is more hw design than ati's lack of driver efficiency.

I highly doubt that. You cant get 2 uber cool points from one site. You need at least 2 sites and one acknowleging response to get that many. :D

blah, blah, blah, who cares. Thanks for the extra fps Mr. Carmack.

Kyle posted this tweak the day after Doom 3 came out... old news.

mr.fishie said:
define troll for me plz, the word gets thrown around this forum alot

basically someone whos looking to cause trouble and start an argument.

It surpises me that Nvidia is not steaming mad at Doom3 for being so late.

The NV30 x0 architecture was designed around Doom3, not a single game since or any forseeable game in the future will use its "special" abilities. It will take maybe a year for another developer to pickup and use and finishs off a game based the Doom3 engine, IF they decide its worthy and don't use a "regular" DX9 engine.

It could also be why Nvidia always seems to be at a speed disadvantage in DX 7/8/9 X1 games. If you design an entire core around a single application, you tend to miss out on the other stuff.

Hey elvis maybe you should have used the full comment in context. :rolleyes:
An executive vice president of Nvidia told the Times his company designs graphics cards—what the computer uses to display super-realistic images—just to accommodate Carmack's upcoming games. They're that good. "He's a genius, a rare person," the exec gushed.
The article's title is "The Temple of Doom: Why do gamers worship John Carmack?", I don't know what exactly your try to say by starting this thread though.

CrimandEvil said:
Hey elvis maybe you should have used the full comment in context. :rolleyes:

The article's title is "The Temple of Doom: Why do gamers worship John Carmack?", I don't know what exactly your try to say by starting this thread though.

Just trying to say that people who say nvidias doom advantage is because of atis bad open gl drivers is probably wrong.

I don't think that's news. Carmack and nvidia have both said that nvidia added features from Carmack's wishlist.

It's not like Carmack hasn't been very public with that information, giving several presentations and describing his rendering engine online in interviews for the last 4 years. :p

pxc said:
I don't think that's news. Carmack and nvidia have both said that nvidia added features from Carmack's wishlist.

It's not like Carmack hasn't been very public with that information, giving several presentations and describing his rendering engine online in interviews for the last 4 years. :p
Not to mention that id used the 9700 Pros (probably the 9800 XTs too) in development.

There was an article a while ago that explained why the x800 performed poorly. I think it was attributed to a slow Z clear.

Terra said:
Old news...and nothing more than flamebait...
John Carmack told BOTH nVidia and ATi, what he wanted the new grapichs cards to be able to long time ago...
nVidia listened..Ati didn't...

All I know is Doom 3 runs like a dream on my ATI card. Just because it runs faster on 6800's doesn't mean it sucks on ATI.

Another thing is that Nvidia spends about half their time, when developing a card, to ensure it kicks ass in OpenGL and Direct3D EQUALLY. ATI only gives OpenGL about 40% of their time and effort and gives 60% of their time to Direct3D. That's why their cards perform much better in Direct3D, they gear them for it. As far as I am concerned it is ATI who is focusing their technology in the smartest manner. Over 90% of all retail games are Direct3D games. It makes perfect sense therefore to focus extra effort on being the best in 90% of the games even if you take a hit in the other 10%. Who knows, if Nvidia did the same thing then maybe their cards would be consistantly faster than ATI in 90% of the games instead of in ~50%...

bipolar said:
hay guys, my video card makes me cool because a website on the internet says it's better than your card which earns me 10 cool points easily surpassing your total :cool:

BiPolar + 2 ubercool points

Terra + 2 Troll Points

Nvidia + 50 gamer points for making a uber cool videocard :)

Doom3 runs better on Nvidia cards, b/c Nvidia has been listening to Carmack's wisdom for quite some time and has been adding the things that he requested.
Also, NVidia's drivers/hardware are better at OpenGL period.

Didn't the D3 leak run better on ATI cards than on Nvidia cards? Seems to me that Nvidia just did they're homework to make sure it performed.

jaspur said:
Didn't the D3 leak run better on ATI cards than on Nvidia cards? Seems to me that Nvidia just did they're homework to make sure it performed.

no, it only ran on nvidia cards with specific driver versions

jaspur said:

You have it backwards, it ran on both companies cards but there was a noticeable difference between the two, and that being the ATI was the slower of the two. So even back then (May 2003) ATI knew they were behind and as far as we can tell just blew it off and decided not to pursue the problem. After all the leaked demo was out there to test with and see if any real improvement could be gained, but as DOOM 3 gets released we see the same basic picture.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDc0

Think he was saying that it would only run with certain drivers. (for Nvidia cards)

He didnt say it wouldnt run on ATI cards.

B/c Nvidia was probably already working on tweaking for the D3 engine so some drivers worked, some worked well, & some may not have worked at all.

arentol said:
All I know is Doom 3 runs like a dream on my ATI card. Just because it runs faster on 6800's doesn't mean it sucks on ATI.
Finally, a sensible post, thank you sir. :)

Regarding the whole 'NV40 was designed for Doom3' debate. The fatal flaw in the logic there is that if NV40 was designed around the Doom3 engine, how well do you think it would run other games? Not very well is the answer. How well does NV40 cope with other games? Pretty damned well is the answer. It's completely ridiculous to consider ATi or NV designing their chips just for one game, they'd get murdered in the other 99% of benchmarks and no-one would buy their product.

I haven't seen a direct quote from an NV guy saying NV40's architecture is designed for Doom3. What I saw in that link is a journo's interpretation, nothing more.

:D .......

WAAAAH! WAAAAH! WAAAAH! :(

.......... :D

I think that about sums up all but 2 or 3 posts in this thread. But I think it's HILARIOUS so keep it up!

ATI vs NVidia is getting more and more like politics everyday. You have a choice between to competitors who both promise to do the same thing the same way and yet mystically better than the other. If it walks like a duck and looks like a duck.... then it's probably been rendered believably on either an ATI or NVidia card, so quit yer complaining.

Vote Optimus Prime for President in 2004!

I have both a 9800XT and a 6800GT. Both run Doom 3 on the high quality settings and both look great! When upping the quality settings while using the 6800GT, I saw no noticable differences - even with AA or AF on.

Bottom line is, the graphic market is fiercly competitive right now. And this stuff will happen when any industry get this competitive. But we need to look at the positive side - the current generation of video cards wouldn't perform anywhere close to where they do if it wasn't for this extreme competition. So rumors, lies, cheats, etc. bring them on!!! I want a better video card 6 months from now. Just don't believe everything you hear and don't take it too seriously.

I think the only thing the original post tells us is that theelviscerator missed the last 6 years give or take of news on how openGL, directX and video cards are developed. John Carmack's opinions and desires have influenced all three.

The implication that Carmack is NVIDIA's whore/bitch is about as wrong and backward as you can get. If anything, it's the other way around, likely to a greater degree than it should be. Not that carmack is horribly wrong in some regard, just that using him as the litmus test for what the game industry wants/believes is subject to critical failure the first time he is really wrong. Probably the closest example to this occuring is 32 bit precision in shaders in the FX5X00 line of cards. A carmack guaranteed(tm) demand from the gaming industry that hobbled that generation of cards for NVIDIA.

exactly nvidia is in carmacks camp not the other way around.....

Also you are correct, I dont wait around with baited breath following games with a stalkers intensity for years punishing myself over release dates...

Back