Guess the price of 24GB RTX 3090 FE

Guess the Price of 24GB RTX 3090

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Snowdog

[H]F Junkie
With the product name confirmed by Micron, and some credence given the Twitter leak that first mentioned RTX 3090, there seems more likelihood that there will indeed be a 24GB version.

What do you folks think that means for pricing? Does the name 3090 signal a big price jump. How about 24GB of totally new GDDR?

Whats your Guess for the FE version? Since the "normal" card might not show up for a while.

It'll start at $1000 for sure.

Nvidia is gonna suffer BAD if they don't get into as many consumers' PCs as possible this year.
If they keep being a "luxury" item that most of us can't afford, then we'll start looking past them and forget that they even have fast cards.

Most people won't want to spend more than $500 on a GPU in the first place. Those that do certainly don't want to pretend like a GPU is actually worth more than their entire computer.
Nvidia has done a great job profiting from the cryptocurrency market. Now it's time for them to either learn to be humble or they'll start to crumble.

It'll start at $1000 for sure.

Nvidia is gonna suffer BAD if they don't get into as many consumers' PCs as possible this year.
If they keep being a "luxury" item that most of us can't afford, then we'll start looking past them and forget that they even have fast cards.

Most people won't want to spend more than $500 on a GPU in the first place. Those that do certainly don't want to pretend like a GPU is actually worth more than their entire computer.
Nvidia has done a great job profiting from the cryptocurrency market. Now it's time for them to either learn to be humble or they'll start to crumble.

I feel like I read this same opinion on the 10xx release and 20xx release. Neat.

And that same opinion will keep being said more and more.

Expressing an opinion on a forum won't change NVidia business plans.

NVidia will keep increasing the flagship price as long as people keep buying in sufficient numbers.

IMO, it looks like enough people bought the 2080ti for NVidia to push higher.

Over $2K. Nvidia will have other skus to fill in the lower price points. Sounds like a halo product at 24GB, therefore halo product price.

I say $1999.99 but I chose $2000 in the poll.

Yup. People are naive. Just like the price of the 2xxx series shocked people, the price of the 3xxx series is going to shock people. There's also a long documented history of AMD and Nvidia fixing prices. AMD will make sure to price their cards just as absurdly as Nvidia.

Also, there are more stimulus checks coming. You think that these greedy cock sucker companies aren't going to factor that in and take advantage of these rubes? Please.

whoever buys this is gonna be crying when 7nm 30-series Super refresh comes out in 2021 ;D

Anyone buying a GPU as an investnent is a retarded muppet.
Besides the trend is that the people that will whine the most are funnily enough the people never going to buy it it the first place...I see a lot of Pro-AMD people whine about the pricing of NVDIA's high-end...which I find an absurd waste of time.

Buy another product in your price-range then...but stop whining...makes people look entitled and whiney.

The market will sort out pricing by supply and demand...as always...but that will not stop muppets from whining 🤷‍♂️

whoever buys this is gonna be crying when 7nm 30-series Super refresh comes out in 2021 ;D

I assume you are joking because you remember when people said exactly the same about RTX 2000 launch. That 7nm cards would come out in 6 months. Here we are two years later...

If NVidia uses Samsung as a Fab, it will be because they did trial runs at both TSMC and Samsung, and Samsung provided some advantage.

Jen-Hsun Huang is damn good CEO, so he wouldn't be pushed to Samsung as a fab partner against his will. He would be there for the advantages it offers.

Most likely $2K I would say. I believe recent Titan cards have hit the similar price mark as well, NVIDIA isn't going to price this cheaply and not to mention double the VRAM would drive up manufacturing costs.

Anyone buying a GPU as an investnent is a retarded muppet.
Besides the trend is that the people that will whine the most are funnily enough the people never going to buy it it the first place...I see a lot of Pro-AMD people whine about the pricing of NVDIA's high-end...which I find an absurd waste of time.

Buy another product in your price-range then...but stop whining...makes people look entitled and whiney.

The market will sort out pricing by supply and demand...as always...but that will not stop muppets from whining 🤷‍♂️

Did you just make a whiny post about people whining?

I'm going with $1800 USD, on the basis that AMD isn't able to release a part at this level. If they are able to, Nvidia will counter aggressively with pricing, possibly a new 'halo' product and we will all celebrate.

If NVidia uses Samsung as a Fab, it will be because they did trial runs at both TSMC and Samsung, and Samsung provided some advantage.

Thats certainly not what the available information suggests. It seems like nvidia attempted a power play with TSMC, that strategy failed, and they had to find a way out in Samsung. I very much doubt they’d suddenly switch manufacturers after so many years of TSMC leading global production in quality and performance.

Thats certainly not what the available information suggests. It seems like nvidia attempted a power play with TSMC, that strategy failed, and they had to find a way out in Samsung. I very much doubt they’d suddenly switch manufacturers after so many years of TSMC leading global production in quality and performance.

You mean: Rumors pulled out of someones ass suggests. All that was is someone saw the Samsung Fab rumor, and made up another rumor to go with it.

To believe that you need first believe Jen-Hsun Huang doesn't know how to run a business. There is ample evidence to the contrary.

We now have a culture that prefers to believe their own (or other peoples) crazy made up stories rather than reality. Just look at the Qanon conspiracy idiocy, that has MILLIONS of believers.

If RTX 3000 comes out on TSMC 7nm, the rumors will then say, NVidias power play worked and they are getting better prices than AMD, or similar nonsense, and people will lap that up, because see above...

You mean: Rumors pulled out of someones ass suggests.

No, I don't mean that. Let's not distort reality (or my words).

Are people bringing rumors out of their asses? Yes. Does it make sense for Nvidia to suddenly jump manufacturer ship after 20 years of a dedicated business relationship with TSMC? No.

I'm sure you know, these relationships with OEMs are quite sensitive to market pressures. The reality is that Nvidia needs TSMC (or Samsung), but TSMC does not need Nvidia, they have plenty of other high-node customers. Jen-Hsun Huang has ran quite a tight ship, but such a sudden change when the market does not suggest that Samsung has any better process than TSMC (in fact, data points to the opposite scenario) does make me envision the possibility that something didn't go quite as planned at Nvidia. I don't see them throwing out 20 years of business relationship just because Samsung did X or Y a little bit better. These factories aren't waiting on the phone for someone to call them and request factory space, they reserve nodes in advance, sometimes years in advance. Perhaps TSMC has been doing so well that other, bigger players have pushed Nvidia out of their usual decision making power and had to make do with Samsung. But if you're really telling me that Nvidia willfully switched OEMs after 2 decades of a successful, mutually beneficial business relationship... no, I do not buy that for a second.

Are people bringing rumors out of their asses? Yes. Does it make sense for Nvidia to suddenly jump manufacturer ship after 20 years of a dedicated business relationship with TSMC? No.

First: We don't even know that Ampere will use Samsung. That rumor has been around for a while, and then Big Ampere comes out, and guess what, it's on TSMC 7mm.

If they are using Samsung there are two possibilities:

A) It gives NVidia an advantage, and NVidia made a sensible business decision to leverage that.
B) It gives NVidia a disadvantage, and NVidia made a stupid business decision, and screwed up 20 year relationship.

A: Assume sensible business practice.
B: Assumes gross incompetence.

Why would leap to believing gross incompetence over sensible business practice, given the history of the company?

Why would leap to believing gross incompetence over sensible business practice, given the history of the company?

I don't. I assume it was a sensible business practice to find a solution to their problem. Was this switch planned? Yes, otherwise they'd be grossly incompetent, and they're too effective a company for that. But I don't believe this was a voluntary change in any way. And it's OK Snowdog . We don't have to agree. Neither position is better than the other.

How would it not be incompetent to somehow, unwillingly lose their place at their preferred Fab, after a great 20 year partnership??
I have already explained that, but I guess I’ll have to quote myself:
Perhaps TSMC has been doing so well that other, bigger players have pushed Nvidia out of their usual decision making power and had to make do with Samsung.

Nvidia is funny. It's like if Bugatti also made economy cars. They literally try to cover all the bases.

I have already explained that, but I guess I’ll have to quote myself:

You are assembling a house nonsensical cards. That isn't how industry works. It works on long term contracts, and NVidia would have locked in their capactiy ages ago.

its going to be about 1699.00 If the cooler is 400.00 the rest of the cards is at least 1200.00

I think that AMD will start price war, and because of this Nvidia prices will fall.
And AMD target will be 3080 (ti) but not Titan (3090). Price of Titan will stay high, I vote 1700 for it.

I do not see it this way, unless that person made a purchase on his 50% APR credit card. Followed by, he only plays half life and counter strike at 720p...

Though I could be wrong, I don’t think most people buying top end cards care about them being obsolete. I would assume they sell them and pour the money into a refresh.

NVidia would have locked in their capactiy ages ago.

Ages = 2 years ago, aka when TSMC began taking contracts for volume 7nm in 2020. Just because it didn’t happen recently (impossible considering gpu product schedules) doesn’t mean other players didn’t push out nvidia when it happened. Most likely they wanted to secure a price and TSMC said no, so they went to Samsung and dealt with 8nm instead of 7. Then again none of this is corroborated. All I’m saying is this doesn’t seem like a planned change, but an option B they had to go with. No company is free of being subject to market forces.

Ages = 2 years ago, aka when TSMC began taking contracts for volume 7nm in 2020. Just because it didn’t happen recently (impossible considering gpu product schedules) doesn’t mean other players didn’t push out nvidia when it happened. Most likely they wanted to secure a price and TSMC said no, so they went to Samsung and dealt with 8nm instead of 7. Then again none of this is corroborated. All I’m saying is this doesn’t seem like a planned change, but an option B they had to go with. No company is free of being subject to market forces.

A big player like NVidia will have long standing contracts. They aren't going to get a call from TSMC saying sorry, we cut you off because you aren't big enough.

TSMC deals with lots of smaller customers than NVidia, wouldn't they be pushed out first by your "logic"?

A big player like NVidia will have long standing contracts. They aren't going to get a call from TSMC saying sorry, we cut you off because you aren't big enough.

TSMC deals with lots of smaller customers than NVidia, wouldn't they be pushed out first by your "logic"?

Yeah, Nvidia wasn't pushed out of TSMC. They are using them for their professional cards. Nvidia went to Samsung for consumer cards to maintain margin on same. Nvidia is a well run company and they know what they are doing. Those that dispute this have an axe to grind.

Seems like you're taking what I'm saying to the limit. Nvidia isn't cutting TSMC off, TSMC doesn't care, they have plenty of other people to manufacture for on 7nm. It's quite likely that Nvidia just went for Samsung just because they could negotiate a lower price, and that's simply a good business decision. Still, if you cannot accept that they would've preferred to go with 7nm instead of 8nm, then we have very different interpretations of how cutthroat Nvidia really is. One point does not invalidate the other: you can move manufacturers for monetary reasons, and still end up with a process node that's worse than you originally wanted.

Seems like you're taking what I'm saying to the limit. Nvidia isn't cutting TSMC off,....

Seems like you read what I wrote backwards. I never said NVidia is cutting off TSMC.

I am responding your ridiculous claim that TSMC is cutting off NVidia.

Seems like you read what I wrote backwards. I never said NVidia is cutting off TSMC.

I am responding your ridiculous claim that TSMC is cutting off NVidia.

I did read that backwards 🤷‍♂️
I still don’t see as much planning as you see here... then again come to think of it I no longer remember why we keep debating this. Who gives a damn where the cards are made, I just want a good card at a competitive price.

Back