Guess I am Team Green now!

SilverSliver

[H]F Junkie
Well....just to add a little fuel to the fire -- with the price premium for the 7950's right now I put mine up for sale, sold some old parts laying around and gave myself an excuse to buy an EVGA 780ti SuperClocked ACX.

I was going to wait for a AIB 290, but I don't want to fight miners for the cards which I would inevitably have to do. Used the MasterPass code on NewEgg to get $50 off, but unfortunately it looks like no holiday bundles on the 780ti.

Last green card I owned was a Gainward Golden Sample Ti4200.

Congrats on that beast of a card. I am really thinking of doing the same with my signature rig. It would be sad to see her go but I really want a new g card to go in my Ncase M1 :)

Congrats on that beast of a card. I am really thinking of doing the same with my signature rig. It would be sad to see her go but I really want a new g card to go in my Ncase M1 :)

Hadn't seen that case. Man, that thing is tiny! Clean looking though.

Hadn't seen that case. Man, that thing is tiny! Clean looking though.

Yeah it's going to be quite the change coming from the huge ass HAF-X. How are you liking your card so far? I think you made a good decision with the 780ti. It has a lot more room for overclocking from what I've seen.

Yeah it's going to be quite the change coming from the huge ass HAF-X. How are you liking your card so far? I think you made a good decision with the 780ti. It has a lot more room for overclocking from what I've seen.

I got the HAF-932 when they first came out. Great case but I'm glad it stays in one place. I just ordered the 780ti today, so I will chime in once I get it. I'm waaay out of the loop on Nvidia. Is simply uninstalling the old AMD suites/drivers good enough or do you have to get rowdy with the registry anymore?

Congrats on the new card. When switching video card manufacturers, I typically refresh my OS. That's what I had to do when I upgraded my 460 SLI to my 7950.

Should be a beast of a card. Without fueling any fires or anything along those lines, I found myself really liking team green after having been here a bit. (coming from AMD - I used 7970s in 2012) You may find the same.

Any overclocking boost clocks for dummies out there? I am sorta familiar with power targets and core clock/boost clock work but would like to get started as soon as I am up and running.

I also just switched from 7970's to a 780 sc acx (non to). Hoping the switch was worth it. Haven't been using any team green since circa 2010 470gtx days..

Any overclocking boost clocks for dummies out there? I am sorta familiar with power targets and core clock/boost clock work but would like to get started as soon as I am up and running.

The abridged version is, max out the power target, select temperature target and set it to maximum, and then start fiddling with overclocks. Start in small increments and test stability with either a valley run or what I prefer is a level run through in crysis 3. It is generally really easy to discern OC instability on nvidia cards - you will usually TDR to desktop.(my 7970 always BSOD'd with an unstable overclock) If you TDR, lower the clockspeeds a bit and try again. You may have to reboot following the TDR. I would test the memory in 25mhz increments, and the core in 15-20mhz increments.

Enable the MSI afterburner or precision overlay so you can see your GPU clockspeeds while playing games. You can also see your power % in the overlay as well to see what effect your OC is having in terms of available TDP headroom.

You can also overvolt some cards, but it can have a negative effect on temperatures. But, it will give you higher overclocks - the 780 can usually go up to +37mV and specialty 780 models can go up to +100 or higher.

Keep in mind that overclock stability testing is a long process and can be a PITA. You'll probably have to fiddle with it a bit to nail it down, and deal with a few TDRs in the process. It isn't much different than overclocking with AMD, but AMD from my experience crashes with an unstable overclock whereas nvidia will TDR 90% of the time, crash 10% of the time. Usually a TDR so it's easier to recover from an unstable overclock.

Nice card Op. 7950 to MSI 770 Lightning here. Last green was a 9600gt.

Should have the card next week, really excited to try it out. Build quality looks epic.

Last edited:
Nice card Op. 7950 to MSI 770 Lightning here. Last green was a 9600gt.

Should have the card next week, really excited to try it out. Build quality looks epic.

The 770 is on par with the 7970 so don't get your hopes too high. my 7950 was able to oc to 7970 speeds

The 770 is on par with the 7970 so don't get your hopes too high. my 7950 was able to oc to 7970 speeds

770 is just under 7970ghz. But ya a 7950 that does 1100+ to 770 wouldn't be much of a jump at all.
My 7950 did 1000/1250 and sounded like a jet and 85C. The MSI is factory OCed at 1200 and has way better cooling. Still an upgrade for me. Plus I don't have another $100+ for the 780

My 7950 did 1000/1250 and sounded like a jet and 85C. The MSI is factory OCed at 1200 and has way better cooling. Still an upgrade for me. Plus I don't have another $100+ for the 780

Not saying it's a bad purchase just letting you know. I have my MSI TF III 7950 on ebay right now and think it's smart to sell them while you can. I bet a GTX 770 will be worth alot more then a $20 difference between the 7950 whenever time comes to sell the 770;)

Back