Guess how low in price the AMD Fury X will drop? --- is it worth crossfire consideration or not?

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
I see it now for $400 after 15% off coupon from jet.com.

That's pretty cheap. You think it will go cheaper before it drops off the inventory at retail or online? How long before they'd close the model out?

I have a Fury X now. I'm pleased with it, but curious if the crossfire consideration is worthwhile (which I don't need now as the Fury X runs all my games without concern at 1600p) or if by the time I need the crossfire either
A) the card won't be available
B) the card will be replaced by a single card solution that is faster than a pair of Fuy Xs - so it wouldn't make sense to buy a second Fury X.
C) The card would drop in price significantly further?

I would say, if you have the space and are trying to game at 1440p max settings or 4k at near max settings in all games, go for it. If you can already game the way you want, do not bother.

Really dont invest on the R9 Fury X CF, specially with 4GB vram. better hold for Rx 490 / R9 Fury (x) replacement

Really dont invest on the R9 Fury X CF, specially with 4GB vram. better hold for Rx 490 / R9 Fury (x) replacement

sell yours for 350 in the forms will sell like in a heart beat and get a gtx 1080? I say why not? Its cheaper that way and you don't have to mess with dual card setup if you really want faster setup.

sell yours for 350 in the forms will sell like in a heart beat and get a gtx 1080? I say why not? Its cheaper that way and you don't have to mess with dual card setup if you really want faster setup.

^^^ this crosfire is a pain and is not worth it unless their are 0 other cards more powerful

he would have to spend 100% more and he wouldnt be buying a high end GPU, he could wait for Vega 10/GP100/200 and invest more than 350usd an get 30-40% more performance than a 1080 and he would get HBM2

he would have to spend 100% more and he wouldnt be buying a high end GPU, he could wait for Vega 10/GP100/200 and invest more than 350usd an get 30-40% more performance than a 1080 and he would get HBM2

You know I hear people say this all the time. Why wait? I mean why? 6 months and there will be something better in another 8 months, thats a cycle you will always be waiting.

you think 1080 is not frickin highend? LOL

Now here is another story for those who wanna wait. In 6 months you can still get 450+ for the 1080, why not buy it and enjoy it and sell it and add another 150 and pick another high end. If vega is that high end I highly doubt it will sell for over 599 for the highest end.

If you can get it for this little , get it. its a great card. The 4 Gb. is not an issue and will not be for a long time especially in Dx12. Neither is CrossfireX support Resell value will be much higher down the line than any nvidia card. You own one, so you know what im talking about. Its super quiet no need for any fan profiles.

You know I hear people say this all the time. Why wait? I mean why? 6 months and there will be something better in another 8 months, thats a cycle you will always be waiting.

you think 1080 is not frickin highend? LOL

Now here is another story for those who wanna wait. In 6 months you can still get 450+ for the 1080, why not buy it and enjoy it and sell it and add another 150 and pick another high end. If vega is that high end I highly doubt it will sell for over 599 for the highest end.
many people boguht an overpriced midrange GK104 when a 30-35% faster GK110 was 150-200usd more, even R9 290x was at the same price of the midrange GK104 while being 30% faster
GP104 isnt the High end GPU. it wont be close when GP100/Vega 10 gets released for some usd more

many people boguht an overpriced midrange GK104 when a 30-35% faster GK110 was 150-200usd more, even R9 290x was at the same price of the midrange GK104 while being 30% faster
GP104 isnt the High end GPU. it wont be close when GP100/Vega 10 gets released for some usd more

Hmm okay. Whatever you say. A gpu that blew past the Ti? No point beating this around lol. For now pascal is the fastest gpu. My friend that is how high end works when you are the fastest.

Hmm okay. Whatever you say. A gpu that blew past the Ti? No point beating this around lol. For now pascal is the fastest gpu. My friend that is how high end works when you are the fastest.
if 460 >= 285 makes then it is high end? same for 680/670 and 580, 980 /970 and 780Ti, 1080 and 980TI

high end performance doesnt mean it is a high end card, midrange cards each time there is a nodeshrink or architecture tweak can match high end performance or beat it

Last edited:
If it got 150 then do it. Thats me being serious as well. 4GB is a limitation.

The last time an X80 was a decent buy was the 680. Now if AMD doesn't show up with anything in 6 months, NV could let the 1080ti languish for a bit just to clear some inventory, but no...a 1080 isn't high end Pascal any more than the 980 was high end Maxwell.

The last time an X80 was a decent buy was the 680. Now if AMD doesn't show up with anything in 6 months, NV could let the 1080ti languish for a bit just to clear some inventory, but no...a 1080 isn't high end Pascal any more than the 980 was high end Maxwell.
I disagree, what card do you have that's faster?

Currently, none. I am very confident that the 1080 will only retain the "fastest" title for about 6-8 months. The 1080ti/Titan range will last about twice that.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Currently, none. I am very confident that the 1080 will only retain the "fastest" title for about 6-8 months. The 1080ti/Titan range will last about twice that.

I hear this type of thing and I scratch my head. you say 1080 is the fastest card out now, so how is that not high end? Now something is not highend because there will be something faster in the future? When that card comes out you can call it not highend. Until then bro there ain't nothing faster so the fastest card is highend. Keep searching and if you find a higher end card then 1080 then I will admit its not highend until then please stop the nonsense. lol

I hear this type of thing and I scratch my head. you say 1080 is the fastest card out now, so how is that not high end? Now something is not highend because there will be something faster in the future? When that card comes out you can call it not highend. Until then bro there ain't nothing faster so the fastest card is highend. Keep searching and if you find a higher end card then 1080 then I will admit its not highend until then please stop the nonsense. lol
Ahm the Radeon Pro Duo :X3:

(In a lot of stuff) ;)

1080 is fastest card but I wouldn't consider it a good investment long term with DDR along with Ti and Vega around the corner.
High end, yes, but not really. A short lived king for sure like the 980.

I really wish people just buy whatever the hell they need at the moment and stop using there will be something better later, there is always something better later.

Because the company that mkes the 1080 also makes that actual top end card. If you had asked me three months ago or almost two years ago, the answer would have been the 980ti. Just because the entire product line hasnt been released yet for this generation is no reason to be stupid or give bad advice and act like it isnt coming. Frankly I dont thin Vega will hang with a 1080ti, but thqt still doesnt make a 1080 a good buy.

For the majority of the Maxwell cycle the 980ti ruled the roost. It will also be the same with Pascal. To sit the and trumpet "look at me, I can identify when the product stack hasnt been fully released" helps no one.

Because the company that mkes the 1080 also makes that actual top end card. If you had asked me three months ago or almost two years ago, the answer would have been the 980ti. Just because the entire product line hasnt been released yet for this generation is no reason to be stupid or give bad advice and act like it isnt coming. Frankly I dont thin Vega will hang with a 1080ti, but thqt still doesnt make a 1080 a good buy.

For the majority of the Maxwell cycle the 980ti ruled the roost. It will also be the same with Pascal. To sit the and trumpet "look at me, I can identify when the product stack hasnt been fully released" helps no one.

i am giving stupid advice? something better will always be there that is a fact! If someone has the cash there is a certain value in it for them to enjoy latest and greatest. Everyone has their value target as to how much value they see in how much money they spend. It is not rocket science. I will never spend 700 on a video card, that I can't justify the value in it. But I won't stop myself from thinking that other might see value in it because they have a different mindset. If somone asks me whats that best and greatest card right now and money is no object I will say 1080. I am not going to convince them to wait another six months, its not my money and thats not the question they asked. .

Here and Now matters to some people.

The 1080ti wont be cheap you can be sure of that, assuming it actually appears.
If it doesnt appear, the new Titan will be the next reference point.

Regardless, the 1080 wont be bad value, especially when it can slay everything at 1440p and is pretty decent at 4K.
And as NKD pointed out, no Xfire worries and it will easily sell.
Why not have your cake 6 months earlier if you can afford it.

So, Original Poster, what did you decide to do? Personally, I hope you did it because 4k will be so much better, if that is what you are running.

he would have to spend 100% more

Incorrect

Assuming that he was going to spend $400 on that new Fury X, if he went that road.

If he sold the Fury X he has right now at $350 and, for the sake of argument, bought 1080 FE instead ($800), he would have only spent $50 more than he originally would have if he just bought the Fury X to crossfire ($800 - $350 - $400).

Last edited:

The ones who absolutely do not (cannot?) accept 1080 being a "high-end" base their opinion on the fact that 1080 is not a full chip, neither was 680 or 980, irrespective of the actual performance, even if say 1080 is currently the GPU performance king.

By that definition, GTX 580 is high end, GTX 680 is not, even though the relative performance jump from 580 to 680 (full chip to medium chip) is not very much different from going from 280 to 480 (full chip to full chip).

Whether or not that classification is valid, one thing so far has been confirmed: if the X80 chip isn't a full chip, a full chip seems to be inevitably on its way (Kepler had 780ti/Titan and Maxwell had 980ti/Titan X), so there is a reasonable expectation that a 1080ti is also on its way.

Your only option with Fury crossfire is to go for higher framerates. Higher resolutions (especially above 1440p) won't be an option because you will run out of VRAM

Your only option with Fury crossfire is to go for higher framerates. Higher resolutions (especially above 1440p) won't be an option because you will run out of VRAM
Depends if the 1080 has the performance to push the higher resolution or has the graphics capability to use it. Video comparing 1080, 980Ti to Radeon Pro Duo at 4K resolution or really just two Nano's would be about the same. Two FuryX will be faster then the Radeon Pro Duo as a note.

The problem at just looking at numbers though does not show if you have stutter, anomalies, texture glitches etc. with a dual card setup. 4gb does concern me as well but looks like AMD is keeping 4gb working well at 4K for the most part.

What is more important I do believe is DX 12 performance, already Fiji scales much better than Pascal with the available data from DX 12 games available. Warhammer with AMD really shinning, soon to be Dues Ex Mankind Divided and BF1. Next year will be even more DX 12 games. We may actually see Fiji just keep up with Pascal.

Back