“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” Production Put on Hold

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Aug 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

A crucial part of humor is understanding your audience. You're not going to walk into a Catholic church and start making pedophile priest jokes so loud that everyone can hear you. People need to learn to treat social media as if they're out in public. If you have thousands, or millions, of followers maybe its not the best place to engage in graphically dark humor. It doesn't help that the Twitter format makes it hard to add context or tone to posts, so it leaves much up to the reader.

Mind you, the royally fucked political bullshit these days does make everything worse and has completely ruined social media.

2. Archaea

Archaea [H]ardForum Junkie

A healthy individual doesn’t think or dwell on these things and certainly wouldn’t post them for a laugh.

There’s something twisted going on in that man’s head. Hopefully it hasn’t manifested against an innocent kid in the real world. The movie “A Time to Kill” comes to mind if my girls are ever abused by some deranged man.

Those pedophilia statements on Twitter are indefensible. If he hasn’t apologized, and removed them? why? Does he not think they are wrong?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  3. Derangel

He used to work for Troma, that kind of shock humor is their bread and butter.

While I enjoy dark humor (sometimes very dark humor) those go beyond even my comfort zone.

He's apologized for them, both times he got publicly called out. As for not deleting them. Like I said above, people are stupid when it comes to social media. They keep treating it like everything they have ever said is private and no one is going to look at their history to make sure they're not above reproach, especially when they're going out and attacking people for their politics.

Talyrius and Solhokuten like this.
  4. LightsOut41

LightsOut41 Limp Gawd

I'd wager my house that he has.

5. MV75

MV75 [H]ard|Gawd

Oh we know where Disney's boundaries are. They appease a minority of "outraged" tweet scrapbooker wankers and fire him for virtue points, but happily still sell his movies from top of the money fountain. Did they also pull all his movies from, sale? Nope. Do they still sell it at a premium price? You bet.

6. TheCommander

TheCommander 2[H]4U

Aha, great post.

7. Pied

Pied Gawd

OMG I cannot count the number of stupid and racist and socially tone-deaf things I said as a young man. I used to practically have the Truly Tasteless Jokes books memorized. I am not a racist - but if you cherry picked things I said in my past you could probably make a case for having me hung in public.

Give Mr. Gunn his job back and gimme my Guardians 3 dammit!!!

8. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

The second one was pretty boring and predictable even though ego is a pretty neat concept. So far haven't even finished watching the second one. Half way through and kinda bored.

9. Retronym

Retronym Something big is coming.

I'm marry poppins, y'all

Colonel Sanders and Archaea like this.
  10. Volitic

Volitic n00b

I wouldn’t judge an employee by his sense of humour but by how well he does his job. Obviously, if he is sick, mentally, then I would classify that as unfit in the workforce but it doesn’t seem to be the case here.

11. Jagger100

Jagger100 [H]ardness Supreme

This is the most ridiculous claim of all. GoG is a bunch of broken heroes with powers and a lot of rye humor and occasional tugging of the heart strings. What I just described was Buffy TV series. It's far from original or unique. In fact Thor Ragnarok was essentially the same. I assumed the same guy did both and Whedon was somehow still involved. When I checked Turned out Whedon wasn't involved anymore at all and the connection between T:R and GoG is relatively weak. GoG fans may need to cross their fingers, but barring some sour grapes sabotage, its not an automatic failure.

12. Jagger100

Tweets over a 10 year period, the most recent was 2 years ago.

13. Jagger100

If I made 5 dozen+ jokes about sleeping with your spouse (or girl friend or boy friend or whatever), would you leave me alone with them?

14. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

I'm fine with this. I would rather there never be a GotG 3 than to see it ruined by Disney. Sorry but disney has completely destroyed any faith I had outside of animation to not completely shit on a franchise and fill it with political bullshit.

15. d8lock

d8lock Gawd

Glad I'm not alone. GotG2 was god awful imo. Loved the first one though.

DocNo likes this.
  16. YeuEmMaiMai

YeuEmMaiMai [H]ardForum Junkie

That's totally effed up right there...

Dahkoht, DocNo and LightsOut41 like this.
  17. Teenk9

Teenk9 Gawd

As recently as two years ago? But I thought he's grown up and is now a mature person?!

Seriously, Gunn is 52 so if the earliest post was from ten years ago then he was 42 at the time. That's far from a kid making a joke. That's a middle aged man showing his true colors.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Archaea, Dahkoht, DocNo and 2 others like this.
  18. naib

naib [H]ard|Gawd

Aaaaand James Gunn is back

Remember when Disney fired him... Good times. I guess they realised they prefer money to likes from SJW

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/...urn-for-guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-1203164489/

pcgeekesq and Jim Kim like this.
  19. SilverSliver

SilverSliver Beat It To Deformation

GoldenTiger, c3k and Etherton like this.
  20. TrevorR

TrevorR Gawd

Or they realized that outraged SJWs are such a minority of people that wouldn’t have seen the movie anyways. Just look at Captain Marvel, it still did well despite a backlash from the outraged people who didn’t like Larsons comments about white males, they were Aga8n, the loud minority.

The Mad Atheist likes this.
  21. Etherton

Etherton Will Bang for Poof

It wasn't the SJWs that were after Gunn. Pretty much the opposite in this case. They were begging Disney to pardon one of their own - and they just did once the outrage settled. To be honest I was glad they scrapped it after the way GOTG2's plot went and even more so after hearing what a stand-up guy he is. Doubt I will go see this one in the theater.

Larsons comments were about another movie but she probably still (can't know for sure) feels that way today. Disney has also been buying up tickets and pushing theaters to only show Captain Marvel over the weekend. Not sure how you'd get an accurate tally of who boycotted or not. Then they are taking down negative reviews on YouTube.

22. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Wow....what a fruitcake. Disney made the right call.

23. Grimlaking

Grimlaking 2[H]4U

I don't give a fuck about his tweets and think they are funny as shit as they are intended. BUUUT in today's world that shit gets you canned. Case in point. Sure he probably has points in the next movie regardless but still.

24. The Mad Atheist

The Mad Atheist Gawd

Good, now make that damn movie!
    Also.....
    index.jpg

25. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

Etherton likes this.
  26. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

And there it is. I personally can separate the guy from his "comedic" tweets and his job. But, they have to be consistent. He should agree with the way things are going. Joking or not, it wasn't appropriate. Lots of people lose their jobs over tweets, Facebook posts, etc., even if joking. Would I fire someone for it? No way. But, this is the way things go in Hollywood, and Gunn knows that and supports it as per that tweet.

Reap what you sow, man. I like his work, and it sucks he was fired for it. But, that's the environment him and his colleagues have created in Hollywood.

edit - wow. Didn't see he was back. I get that the employer gets to decide, but I think this will cause some stink when it comes to other people being fired for things happening a decade ago, even if joking...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  27. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ard as it Gets

so is Gunn still working on Suicide Squad 2?

28. TangledThornz

TangledThornz Gawd

So does this mean Roseanne gets her old job back from Disney too?

Friday21 and opfreak like this.
  29. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

30. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ard as it Gets

I'm surprised Marvel and DC would allow Gunn to work on movies for both studios...but it sounds like his heart is with GOTG and I wouldn't be surprised if someone else takes over Suicide Squad 2...Gunn was probably begging Disney for months to give him another chance

31. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak [H]ard|Gawd

So most of [H] really is into fucking brothers is what you're saying?

32. Artificiary

Artificiary Gawd

Big deal, that’s what happens these days when you post stupid shit on social media. Taika Waititi would be a definite upgrade though, hope they go that route and get the original cast back on board for the 3rd.

33. Jim Kim

Jim Kim 2[H]4U

I don't see a millionaire several times over begging anyone for a job.
    It's more like fans of the franchise and the cast did the most persuading.

pcgeekesq likes this.
  34. $trapped

$trapped [H]Lite

Dark humor only works when it's well thought out, well crafted, and expertly delivered - 3 qualities not typically found in a tweet. Perhaps he should have taken his act to the local comedy club first before trying to pass himself off as Jimmy Carr. As for Vol. 3, nothing was going to be better than Vol.1 - should've quit while they were ahead.

35. Derangel

He was hired to write and direct before Marvel came to ask him back. I doubt he was begging Disney for anything. It sounds more like the only reason he came back was that they allowed him to finish work on Suicide Squad first.

36. mesyn191

mesyn191 2[H]4U

Mike Cernovich isn't a SJW, the guy who was mainly responsible for helping to get Gunn fired initially, he is alt-Right internet celebrity.

SJW's mostly didn't care about this faux-outrage since they knew Gunn was being sarcastic and trolling in those original comments.

Disney execs pulled the trigger on his firing too fast and realized their mistake later on so that is why they rehired him.

By all accounts he is doing SS2 as well. We'll know for sure in a few months at least.

Those people aren't SJW's though. They're alt-Right "red pilled" incels/MGTOW types who'll still harp on about ethics in journalism while criticizing Larson for not smiling enough and for being too wimpy for the role.

Nope.

Roseanne clearly wasn't joking or out of her gourd on Ambien when she made her original post that got her in hot water and has only doubled down on her previous comments and the racism/conspiracies in general.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.