pstlouis

n00b
windows 8.1 pro 64 bits
Asus maximus hero VII
i7 4790k 4.4GHz
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250g
Western digital black 2TB
Asus ROG swift 2560x1440p.

Is it better to have a GTX980Ti with 6g of ram or GTX980 SLI with 4g of ram ? For sure the SLI will give me more power but less ram vs GTX980Ti that give a good frame rate with 6g of ram. What will be your choice ?

980 SLI will stomp a 980 Ti. That being said, the 980 Ti is more future proof especially at the 1440p resolution, you can slap in another one in the future.

If you have the money for 980 SLI, why not stretch it a bit and go for 980 Ti SLI? That way you have the VRAM in reserve and the horsepower to push 100+ FPS at 1440p.

You could probably pick up 980 SLI used right now for $900 where a single 980 Ti is 650-700. You'd be really stretching your budget to get the 980 Ti SLI.

Personally, like I said, I'd go 980 Ti since it can play everything (well almost everything) at over 60fps on 1440p. Grab another in the future when they go on sale/used.

GTX 980 SLi rules in games that support sli. For me in GTA V, 980 SLI is better than a Titan X. At 4k, 40-60 fps for 99% of the time, Titan X hovers around 30-40 with dips below 30 occasionally. 980 sli would be even better at 1440p, especially if you're gaming at 120 Hz+ with that monitor. However, 980 Ti would cost you $350 less than 980 sli so it's up to your budget.

He forgot a step:
1) sell g sync monitor
2) buy fury
3) buy free sync

Nah really though...
OP, it depends what games you want to play, what fps you want to play them at and what settings you want to play at. If the 980ti can get you close to what you want, then I'd go the single card for reasons mentioned above.

He forgot a step:
1) sell g sync monitor
2) buy fury
3) buy free sync

Nah really though...
OP, it depends what games you want to play, what fps you want to play them at and what settings you want to play at. If the 980ti can get you close to what you want, then I'd go the single card for reasons mentioned above.

Lost of money doing so. :(

I'd just go 980 sli. Especially in the next week or so as many jump ship to try our FURY you're bound to find a matching 980 for cheap :)

I was reading the H review of the 980ti and it showed that the 980 is Vram limited at 1440p in a few of the newer games.

980 SLI will stomp a 980 Ti.

index.php

index.php

I was reading the H review of the 980ti and it showed that the 980 is Vram limited at 1440p in a few of the newer games.

That what i read from HARDOCP review on the GTX980Ti. Will be better for the moment with one GTX980Ti or wait to see what windows 10 will bring with DX12 app. :confused:

That what i read from HARDOCP review on the GTX980Ti. Will be better for the moment with one GTX980Ti or wait to see what windows 10 will bring with DX12 app. :confused:

from what I read, only native DX12 games will support the memory pooling, which means current games will gain no benefit when DX12 and Win10 ships.

Thanks for the benches above. Looks like in some scenarios the 980ti is the way to go. Especially at 1440p and beyond. I would have thought 4gb would be plenty.

Thanks for the benches above. Looks like in some scenarios the 980ti is the way to go. Especially at 1440p and beyond. I would have thought 4gb would be plenty.
Witcher 3 has one of the poorest SLI / CrossFire scaling. Make sure you look at other games too. 2 x 980 does stomp 1 x Titan X in GTA V and Batman Arkham City, and that is from my real experience with real cards. Witcher 3, not so much.

Just notice that the benches above are factory overclocked 980 Ti vs stock 980 SLI. Overclocked 980 SLI vs overclocked 980 Ti, the 980 SLI is most likely faster.

^^ Overclocking the 980ti will also still catch up to a 980 SLI, soo..... no.

You forget that 980s overclock as well.
The question should be how much performance difference is there at acceptable noise levels, overclock vs overclock.

SLI scaling isn't that great in TW3 so that's why this happens. That said, even when SLI is working well 980 SLI is only marginally ahead of 980 Ti at high resolutions. Can't recommend it over buying a 980 Ti that's for sure.

SLI scaling isn't that great in TW3 so that's why this happens. That said, even when SLI is working well 980 SLI is only marginally ahead of 980 Ti at high resolutions. Can't recommend it over buying a 980 Ti that's for sure.

The fact that SLI STILL has support issues after all these years still scares me away from trying it

The fact that SLI STILL has support issues after all these years still scares me away from trying it
Been using SLi for close to 3 years now. You can disable SLi per game in case of issues. 95% of games I play do not have issues and run like a champ. Also compared to AMD, NVidia is much faster to fix SLi issues. Last year was the only blip where issues with SLi in 3 games were not fixed for more than a month (AC Unity, Farcry 4, Dragon Age Inquisition). Once resolved, the games ran like champs.

I would never go back to non SLi gaming since I want my 144 Hz or at least 72 Hz vsync gaming dosage. No single card offers that at 1080P or 1440P resolution (depending on game).

980Ti. Then maybe add another 980Ti down the road. Should be a handful of them getting posted soon from Fury adopters.

Been using SLi for close to 3 years now. You can disable SLi per game in case of issues. 95% of games I play do not have issues and run like a champ. Also compared to AMD, NVidia is much faster to fix SLi issues. Last year was the only blip where issues with SLi in 3 games were not fixed for more than a month (AC Unity, Farcry 4, Dragon Age Inquisition). Once resolved, the games ran like champs.

I would never go back to non SLi gaming since I want my 144 Hz or at least 72 Hz vsync gaming dosage. No single card offers that at 1080P or 1440P resolution (depending on game).

I just moved from 970 SLI to a single 980 Ti (at least for now) since I was still able to get a pretty good price for my 970s. I just got the 980 Ti so more testing needs to be done but I'm at least getting similar performance in GTA V but somehow the single 980 Ti seems a bit smoother. I think I'll try to stick to a single, really fast card strategy now.

I agree that SLI is now generally working fine but there are always some games with issues. At least with Far Cry 4 it was a constant broken-fixed-broken cycle with every patch and SLI but now it's working again (except they never bothered to fix SMAA on SLI). Other games I haven't really had any issues.

If I was making that choice now, with what I have experienced with SLI, 980ti would be my choice.

Here is reason why:

1. 980ti in c/p is about the same as SLI 970, and thus slightly better than 980's. This effectively makes VRAM free. Without going into the whole "is 4GB enough for X" argument, more VRAM cannot hurt, especially considering you are not paying any premium for it.

2. 980ti on its own can handle 1440p relatively well from the benchmarks I have seen, but since it's single GPU, you will be able to use MFAA, which you wouldn't if you went with 980 SLI, so the performance gap between the two setups become smaller (at least for those games that uses MSAA).

It's the combination of these two that makes me want to go 980ti instead of 980 SLI. It's not that SLI is bad, I went SLI because at the time, the best single GPU solution for 1440p for me wasn't good enough (for me it has been working well enough that I have not found any cases where I would have preferred running 1 980 instead of 2 970's), but now that 980ti is available, and is quite capable, I would choose 980ti @ 1440p.

Besides, going for a single 980ti now opens the option of going SLI later down the line, with 980SLI you will have no choice but to replace the pair.

Back