GTX980ti or GTX1080

DeanEH

Weaksauce
I have Zotac GTX980ti Amp Extreme is it worth replacing it with a GTX1080?

IIRC OC vs OC the 1080 is 22% faster. So if 22% is worth the price of a 1080 - (selling price of the 980ti - shipping - fees) to you then sure!

I have Zotac GTX980ti Amp Extreme is it worth replacing it with a GTX1080?

No. Nothing out there is being restricted full tilt by a 980Ti. I know, its's hard. I really want to justify an upgrade myself. lol But with Volta rumored for May, there just is no reason when you already have the 980Ti. To appease myself, I just keep telling myself 1080 is just a 980Ti shrunk down and OC to 2 Ghz. :) Because really, my 980ti is at 1480mhz and the performance gained for a shrunk die process, 600+ mhz increase, doesn't seem to be worth it all, TO ME. Like I said, IMO.

If you want to blow 600+ dollars and can afford it then why not?

It really isn't a big upgrade, seeing as how you'll only see anywhere from a 10 to 35% increase depending on game and overclock.

Thanks for your replies. I go through this every time something new like this comes out. I'll keep my Zotac it runs all my games smoothly and has never given me any reason to not keep it. It is hard to justify replacing this video card.

OC for OC, at 4K, it's more like a 10-15% bump in performance at best. Granted my 980Ti was waterblocked and holding a solid OC well above its factory OC. Still, even though a 1080 would have been slightly faster, it just wasn't going to be worth all the hassle in my book for such a small bump in performance. That's why I opted to go with a Titan X Pascal instead. Now that has been a very solid and noticeable upgrade. :D

Last edited:
I have a 980ti Upgraded like a year ago I will wait for the 1080ti if anything

I have a 980ti Upgraded like a year ago I will wait for the 1080ti if anything
Same thought exactly. If you are on the x80Ti train stay on it IMHO. I doubt I'll buy another non Ti card from Nvidia now. Usually I always feel the previous Ti to current x80 line isn't enough of a performance jump to justify the cost. That's why I try to stay on a single path x70->x70, x80->x80, or x80Ti->x80Ti. Those gains are usually worth the cost associated and generally give you about 2 years between purchases. I guess you can say it's Nvidia's subscription plan lol.

Back