GTX980 black screen on display port.

EVGA admitted that there is an hardware flaw while connecting maxwell cards on Display Port 1.1 monitor.

After I asked it they offered me the refund of my cards since they don't have working cards at the moment.

this is their answer:

Hello,
so far I did get the feedback that this issue is releated to the screens, some screens do have issues with the latest DP 1.2 standards. Thats why I have not faced the same issue during my testing. We did get back to the place of purchase, Drako IT, to refund you the cards.
Please get back to them by tomorrow to arrange this.
Please be aware that you will face this issue probably also with other actually cards.
Regards,

Very nice to see that they test cards in display 1.2 mode only. I belive it, surely!

They are selling defective products and they know about the flaws, congratulations to nvidia and to evga!

While this may be true, my monitor is definitely Displayport 1.2 and I still have the issue.

Interesting news. I use the dp to dvi cables, I'm not sure that the dp 1.2 issue would affect me.

nova[11];1041209842 said:
Interesting news. I use the dp to dvi cables, I'm not sure that the dp 1.2 issue would affect me.

I'm doing the same but with only one monitor and I've been fine. If the issue is confirmed then it does exist and anyone affected should get refunds. It basically makes their card/s unusable until that is fixed.

All well and good, but in my opinion, infuriating as this bug is, it's still far preferable to the bugs on AMD's side when dealing with MST monitors, so I have no other alternatives at this stage. If, however, I eventually upgrade to an SST display (the new LG looks promising) and find this bug still exists then, I may jump ship back to AMD again :S

I haven't been able to use display port since all the way back when I had my 560Ti. Since then I've had 3 different generations of nVidia cards, pretty sure it still doesn't work.

I haven't been able to use display port since all the way back when I had my 560Ti. Since then I've had 3 different generations of nVidia cards, pretty sure it still doesn't work.

Hmm Your post got me to thinking. I honestly Hate displayport. It is kind of like a giant USB connection with enough bandwidth for monitors. Never have I had monitors blank out on me forcing me to unplug and replug like I did using mini dp on my Crossfire 6950s. I also experienced screen tearing on my dp monitors there.

If I can avoid DP I will. I prefer DVI and HDMI vs DP for sure.

Hmm Your post got me to thinking. I honestly Hate displayport. It is kind of like a giant USB connection with enough bandwidth for monitors. Never have I had monitors blank out on me forcing me to unplug and replug like I did using mini dp on my Crossfire 6950s. I also experienced screen tearing on my dp monitors there.

If I can avoid DP I will. I prefer DVI and HDMI vs DP for sure.

does your monitor have speakers?

EVGA admitted that there is an hardware flaw while connecting maxwell cards on Display Port 1.1 monitor.

After I asked it they offered me the refund of my cards since they don't have working cards at the moment.

this is their answer:

Very nice to see that they test cards in display 1.2 mode only. I belive it, surely!

They are selling defective products and they know about the flaws, congratulations to nvidia and to evga!
I thought DP was backwards compatible. So if that's the truth, it still goes back to this being a GPU issue.

I thought DP was backwards compatible. So if that's the truth, it still goes back to this being a GPU issue.

it is a GPU issue for sure but if they admit it they need to make a recall and they don't want to.
I'm returning my GTX980 SLI to get money back.
I will buy the next AMD iteration, I don't want a flawed product neither a company that fools me with wrong explanations.

my monitor does and it doesn't support HDMI, so I need DP.

Since I try to avoid DP if I was in your shoes I would use your DVI-D input on the monitor and buy some speakers and a good pair of headphones. The stereo speakers on that monitor are probably at best 'Good.'

That's my choice though. I'm not in any way downplaying the defect on the GTX 900 cards that is obviously there in terms of Displayport.

Since I try to avoid DP if I was in your shoes I would use your DVI-D input on the monitor and buy some speakers and a good pair of headphones. The stereo speakers on that monitor are probably at best 'Good.'

That's my choice though. I'm not in any way downplaying the defect on the GTX 900 cards that is obviously there in terms of Displayport.

I have excellent headphones but I cannot connect headphones and monitor or speakers at the same time because I have only an output jack on the mobo.
If I buy a hub for the jack the quality on the headphones is too bad for me.

is there someone else who returned the cards for the display port issue?
what cards should I buy now?

is there someone else who returned the cards for the display port issue?
what cards should I buy now?

I just filed and advanced rma w/newegg; I am hoping it was just a bad EVGA card and its replacement works out. I will be sure to follow up.

I actually had this happen to me a couple nights ago. No video from DP, coming from sleep. Had to power the system off entirely, and back on.

My situation felt like a driver issue though, I'm not returning this card... it's badass.

nova[11];1041216091 said:
I just filed and advanced rma w/newegg; I am hoping it was just a bad EVGA card and its replacement works out. I will be sure to follow up.

I'm sorry to hear that because I'm sure that you will not solve anything, the problem is in all maxwell cards.

I'm sorry to hear that because I'm sure that you will not solve anything, the problem is in all maxwell cards.

I have had the new card hooked up now for a few hours with no more blinking monitors. So I don't think its all maxwell cards.

If you are having this issue, based on my experience I recommend you just RMA the card or Advanced RMA if you can afford it to ensure the new card works.

nova[11];1041223697 said:
I have had the new card hooked up now for a few hours with no more blinking monitors. So I don't think its all maxwell cards.

If you are having this issue, based on my experience I recommend you just RMA the card or Advanced RMA if you can afford it to ensure the new card works.

What is The advanced rma?

What is The advanced rma?
You basically prepay for the new card; they then mail it out with return shipping for the older card and then process a full refund upon receipt of the damaged card. they did next day me the card for free as well.

nova[11];1041223719 said:
You basically prepay for the new card; they then mail it out with return shipping for the older card and then process a full refund upon receipt of the damaged card. they did next day me the card for free as well.

It is not a problem of single cards, it is a problem that happen with all maxwell cards,
they put wrong voltage over display port and they can damage your monitor.

Do you have a source for that? This is the first I've heard of it, and the only result in google is your post.

there is no source, it is only my hopinion.
on my EIZO monitor before loosing the signal I can see some video corruption, the kind of corruption that happen when there is voltages mixed to video signal.

It is not a problem of single cards, it is a problem that happen with all maxwell cards,
they put wrong voltage over display port and they can damage your monitor.
well that is your opinion, but my results with the RMA have been fantastic and no issues on my new card. While my first card I had issues from the get the go w/it not wanting to recognize in windows and then display port problems right away. I have 2 dell and 1 Samsumg montior fwiw.

there is no source, it is only my hopinion.
on my EIZO monitor before loosing the signal I can see some video corruption, the kind of corruption that happen when there is voltages mixed to video signal.
This isn't a composite connection. DP is packetised. Sending the 'wrong voltage' would do one of three things:
1) Work with no issues if the display controller can handle working out of spec
2) Not work at all if the display controller cannot handle out-of-spec voltages
3) If it's an errant DC voltage, then it would have zero effect whatsoever, as the votlage lines are differential (TMDS).

However, not only would such an issue be utterly trivial to detect with a consumer multimeter, it would also not happen. The cards have the DP trademark applied, which means they have passed DP validation. To pass, tests are performed on the output more stringent than a mere voltage check (e.g. 'eye pattern').

As the DP issue is only being encountered by a limited number of people, and can be worked around by leaving the monitor powered off or disconnected during changes in resolution at driver handover (when the output changes from BIOS and boot display to full resolution login screen display) it is clear the problem is some edge case of protocol negotiation between the cards and certain displays under certain conditions.

To fix the issue, or even quantify what the issue is, Nvidia need to recreate it. Until they have determined what combination of driver, card, cable and monitor can reliably recreate this issue, they cannot fix it. They don;t have a magic 'fix it!' wand they can wave and make things work.

---

If anyone remembers the 7800gt, there was a vaguely similar issue, where with Windows Vista and beyond (new driver model) changing the resolution would cause the display to become corrupted on DVI (each line ). This turned out to be an edge-case where the RAMDAC and core clocks had similar harmonics, and the pixel clock locked to the wrong frequency preventing it from changing when the resolution/refresh change was requested (requiring a change in clock rate due to the change in pixel clock timing). Fix was to over- or under-clock the cards' core by 5MHz.
DP is different, being a packetised protocol rather than a raw pixel stream. The clock is independent and fixed regardless of resolution. While it is possible this DP issue is a similar weird electrical issue, the fact that the problem is NOT universal indicates it is not.

just tried it.
screen does not go in standby now but windows still not boot. it hangs with the windows logo but the screen does not became black.

This morning, I experienced the Displayport "blank screen" issue for the first time. I have a dual monitor setup - Benq BL3200PT and a Benq XL2420TX. The 3200 was on DP and the 120hz 2420 on Dual DVI. (notice I said "was" - I switched the 3200 to DVI this evening).

The blank screen appeared on my BL3200PT. I had to power cycle the panel a few times before Windows would recognize it again. My desktop had been moved to the XL2420TX as if my DP panel was a disconnected USB port.

And from what I've learned today, DP functions much like USB.

Now both panels are on DVI, and I feel confident that all will be well.

Back