GTX980 black screen on display port.

sblantipodi

2[H]4U
There are many users around forums complaining about black screen issues when using gtx980 with display port.

I'm experiencing the same issue and I'm very annoied by this problem.

Is there someone who founded a solution to this problem?
There is a thread on nvidia forums with dozens of people with the same problem.

How many displays are you trying to connect?

What kind of displays? (what resolution, refresh rate etc..)

Can you describe your card's ouput layout.

Here is mine as an example

Top; Displayport > Displayport > HDMI 3.0 > Displayport
Bottom _____________DVI

Reason I ask is because I had the same issue. I put my first displayport monitor into the upper left, then the second one in the very next displayport. My DVI in the bottom (obviously)

I would not get video from my second displayport connector. I moved that second displayport connection to the port all the way in the top right.

My theory is that the Dual link DVI output shares the same RamDac as the second Displayport in the top row.

Anyway. I'm rambling but hopefully you find something helpful in my post. Depending on your layout maybe I or someone else can offer something helpful.

Hmm. I've had similar problems - I used a different DP port and that *seemed* to help but I'm not entirely convinced. I still sometimes get a black screen when i start fiddling with multi-monitor configurations, but a reboot *usually* fixes it, or I have to start power cycling monitors randomly.

I should have asked the Op if the monitor works then just randomly goes blank or if it is just blank all the time. Hmm. :confused:

when I set up my NVidia Surround on my 980 SLi, at first I did it randomly and got all sorts of flashing and then one DP wouldn't work at all.

I used the two that worked and went to the multi monitor screen in the control panel.

At the bottom left was a message that I did not have my monitors configured properly.
There was a link to a web page on NVidia that demonstrates 7 different correct layouts.

I'd suggest going to that webpage.

Once I let it all soak in, and did it right......everything worked fine.

I have the same problem with my gtx 970's, and I had the same problem with my r9 290's. Its much less pervasive with my 970's, but its still an issue. Seems to be no rhyme of reason to it, just every now and then if I cold boot, I get no video. I have to restart a few times, then I'm good. I had 280x's too, that use mini-dp, and I never had this particular issue (though plenty of others). I thought maybe it was just my monitor, but idk. Its frustrating for sure. As long as I don't shut down my rig, and just use sleep mode instead, I'm fine.

I should have asked the Op if the monitor works then just randomly goes blank or if it is just blank all the time. Hmm. :confused:

The problem occurs randomly.
It never occurs with dvi.

How many displays are you trying to connect?

What kind of displays? (what resolution, refresh rate etc..)

Can you describe your card's ouput layout.

Here is mine as an example

Top; Displayport > Displayport > HDMI 3.0 > Displayport
Bottom _____________DVI

Reason I ask is because I had the same issue. I put my first displayport monitor into the upper left, then the second one in the very next displayport. My DVI in the bottom (obviously)

I would not get video from my second displayport connector. I moved that second displayport connection to the port all the way in the top right.

My theory is that the Dual link DVI output shares the same RamDac as the second Displayport in the top row.

Anyway. I'm rambling but hopefully you find something helpful in my post. Depending on your layout maybe I or someone else can offer something helpful.

I have only one monitor.
EIZO 1920x1200@60Hz. Doesn't matter where I connect it, the problem occurs randomly.

The problem occurs randomly.
It never occurs with dvi.

I have only one monitor.
EIZO 1920x1200@60Hz. Doesn't matter where I connect it, the problem occurs randomly.

Strange issue. It is probably some kind of compatibility issue then with the way the card is reading the EDID on the monitor. Fixes for that sort of thing take a little time. Sorry man :(

I have the same issue. I bought 2 Asus 980 cards with triple display port. I have my 3 monitors hooked up to displayport and I get no output. Remove the middle displayport and plug in DVI all three monitors come up. This is stupid behavior as the entire reason I did this was to use 3 dp and not have to use DVI anymore. Along with this, if I install my 2nd card, -nothing- I do will give me display. Maybe when the EVGA Classified comes out they will have fixed the issue.

As it is, I'm about ready to just put my 290x back in.

I have the same issue. I bought 2 Asus 980 cards with triple display port. I have my 3 monitors hooked up to displayport and I get no output. Remove the middle displayport and plug in DVI all three monitors come up. This is stupid behavior as the entire reason I did this was to use 3 dp and not have to use DVI anymore. Along with this, if I install my 2nd card, -nothing- I do will give me display. Maybe when the EVGA Classified comes out they will have fixed the issue.

As it is, I'm about ready to just put my 290x back in.

Hey give Asus tech support a call just in case because my post was just my own theory. Maybe they can help you get 3dp working.

It works....but from a cold boot I have to finagle with the outputs. But when I put the 2nd card in, nothing I do will cause them to work. No boot errors, or beeps.

I'm just gonna return them and put my 290x back in until I can get my hands on a Classified.

Sounds like a windows 8.1 issue. There was a hotfix for it apparently. I had this issue randomly swapping monitors after a driver upgrade. This is from boot onward, sometimes it would randomly take minutes to get through bios and then be ok.

Having the same issue on my EVGA 980GTX SC with Asus monitor in my sig.... Ended up having to use the HDMI port instead...

I have a similar but different issue.. I have the MSI 970 Gaming. It has two DVI, one DP and one HDMI. I have two monitors connected to the DVI's, my TV connected to the HDMI, and a little 15" monitor connected to the DP with a VGA->DP adapter.

The issue I get is this.. Anytime I restart my PC or turn it on, The two DVI inputs and HDMI will work, but not the DP. The ONLY way to get the DP to work, is to unplug both one DVI and the HDMI, then plug them both back in.. and somehow everything works. It's not the worst problem in the world, I mean, it technically works.. but kinda annoying to have to unplug and plug in the cables every single time I restart.

Sounds like a windows 8.1 issue. There was a hotfix for it apparently. I had this issue randomly swapping monitors after a driver upgrade. This is from boot onward, sometimes it would randomly take minutes to get through bios and then be ok.

can you link to this hotfix?
where did you read that it is a windows problem?

thanks.

The issue I have is sporadic as hell. So I just turned on my PC for the day, and all monitors worked when I turned it on without having to unplug and plug in stuff... What the hell..

I thought displayport didn't need RAMDACs?

I too am suffering this issue with a Gainward GTX970. I would be very interested in a link to said hotfix!

I should add, I am unable to power cycle my monitor at any time with the PC booted - if I do I will get no signal again until I reboot the PC.

Also, forgot to add, but I don't even get display at the bios screen when I add the 2nd card.

Also, forgot to add, but I don't even get display at the bios screen when I add the 2nd card.

This is bizarre, that's the exact same problem I had with my 290's. I'd always get an error code that essentially said it was a PCI bus initiaization error. That was on my asrock board, so I bought an Asus, thinking I had some kind of compatibility issue, but it had the same problem. I called xfx and they had no idea what was going on either, so I ended up just sending the cards back. All of you having this issue, check the error codes from your mobo. I'm getting a "00" code on my hero vi board, which according to the manual isn't even used.

Here's the link on how to configure connections on a GTX 980 for two card SLi.

http://www.geforce.com//hardware/technology/surround/system-requirements

Thanks I was looking for that last night and gave up after about 5 minutes. But shouldn't I still at least get display out of all 3 monitors with SLI even if they aren't hooked up exactly "proper" for surround. This is where I'm getting annoyed. It's like the first card just gets disabled completely when adding the 2nd card. Wonder if there is a bios update for z87 for these new cards?

Thanks I was looking for that last night and gave up after about 5 minutes. But shouldn't I still at least get display out of all 3 monitors with SLI even if they aren't hooked up exactly "proper" for surround. This is where I'm getting annoyed. It's like the first card just gets disabled completely when adding the 2nd card. Wonder if there is a bios update for z87 for these new cards?

Before I found that webpage, I had the exact same problem.
I connected my monitors exactly as I had when I used my GTX 780s for Surround, two on the top card and one on the bottom card. (except I was using all DVI at that time)
I got all kinds of black screen, artifact, failure to recognize all three monitors, you name it.

Then I connected things as in the linked webpage and all was well.

Currently I use 2 DP and one DVI.

Quite honestly, I would think it wouldn't matter what connections you use, but apparently it does.:eek:

Before I found that webpage, I had the exact same problem.
I connected my monitors exactly as I had when I used my GTX 780s for Surround, two on the top card and one on the bottom card. (except I was using all DVI at that time)
I got all kinds of black screen, artifact, failure to recognize all three monitors, you name it.

Then I connected things as in the linked webpage and all was well.

Currently I use 2 DP and one DVI.

Quite honestly, I would think it wouldn't matter what connections you use, but apparently it does.:eek:

I am connecting only one monitor so the problem isn't there

from manuel G of nvidia
I've been asked for the dispdiag from a failing state:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3468/

Can you send me the log file as described in the KBA above to [email protected] and also include in the email your eVGA forums user name, graphics card model, VBIOS version, monitor(s) make and models plugged into the card and which monitor is connected to the DIsplayPort on the card? Thank you.

please post you problems here.

How did you enable the other ports without having the first one plugged in? Mine are disabled by default... :S

I'm not quite sure, I just moved the connection 'up' the card to the next displayport connection. I'm at work right now, When I get home, I'll check which port it is connected to on the card and let everyone know.

I'm only having a problem where my DisplayPort displays will not turn back on after they are turned off due to idleness and go into sleep mode.

I'm not sure if it's an issue with the displays, my card, or drivers (or something else).

HI all, I checked my connection tonight, (sorry so late, been a long day at work). If you were looking at my card from the rear and upright, my connection is on the very top left displayport connection
.... If it makes any difference, I do have DVI and HDMI connections for my other monitor and Oculus Rift....

If you've tried all ports and still no display output, check your DP cable (and any adapters). Pin 20 should NOT be connected for a device-to-device cable, or both ends may fail to negotiate a connection correctly. Many DP cables are not compliant with this.

If you've tried all ports and still no display output, check your DP cable (and any adapters). Pin 20 should NOT be connected for a device-to-device cable, or both ends may fail to negotiate a connection correctly. Many DP cables are not compliant with this.

I tried with a 30€ certified cable, it solved nothing.

I have wrote to all nvidia reps and evga reps. No one answer,
they say that we need to wait a driver update.

They are fooling us, this problem happen in bios TOO, how a problem than happen in bios could be related to a windows driver problem?

I am running the 2DP and 1 DVI as well and the DPs are the monitors that will randomly blink and go black.

Back