Gtx680 SLI performace disappointing. Is this normal?

Andyk5

[H]ard|Gawd
I know the 3dMark11 score depends on the CPU also but....
Single ECS GTX 680 on my system scores 9200
Single EVGA GTX 680 on my system scores a 9150

In SLI they score 14200.... basically a gain of 54%. Is this normal?

My CPU is i72600k @ 4.5Ghz, is it not fast enough and bottle necking?
All tests are done with no overclocking on the GPU's, but even if I did it will scale the same way.

Sounds about right. Sli has never given a extremely large increase from what I remember. Only increase I can imagine is a lga2011 board to maximize bandwidth on the pciE slots....(I hope I said that right!)

What were you expecting 100% increase?

Something is wrong with your cards. My 770s at 1250 is at 23k. Install afterburner or precision to make sure both your cards are running correctly. Also make sure you don't have v-sync on.

edit, is this your p score or you graphics score? If its your score, its about right.

OP, the P-score does not increase linearly with GPU power, compare only your graphics sub-score to know the full improvement. 3Dmark11 typically shows 95-100% scaling with SLI, and is likely one of the very few programs you will find that do that.

Something is wrong with your cards. My 770s at 1250 is at 23k. Install afterburner or precision to make sure both your cards are running correctly. Also make sure you don't have v-sync on.

edit, is this your p score or you graphics score? If its your score, its about right.

He is quoting the p-score for sure. My 770's also score 24k stock on graphics score. What happened to that 690?

Its likely your GPUs aren't boosting as high due to more heat when in sli mode as well. 14k is about right. That's about what my ftw 670s scored and over clocked got up around 19k. Simply cranking the fan speed up and power target up will gain you like 1-2k.

I am not a benchmark junkie, this is actually the first time I ran one in a long time. I just wanted to see the percentage increase i get from my investment since just gaming and fps can be biased, and I did not want to drink my own koolaid i guess by saying OMg i got SLI i am destrying these games now. I wanted to see exactly what happened.

The graphics sub score. hmm I have to check that out, is it under a different tab on the results screen? I have the free basic edition.

When the browser pops up the graphics score and CPU score is directly under the total score. Also if you want to see good scaling run heaven or valley maxed out. Your performance will nearly double. 3dmark11 would give better scaling on extreme but pscore won't scaled as well.

Last edited:
When benching 3dmark, only the graphics score matters. Better cpu's can/will help your overall score, but you want to mostly pay attention to your graphics score.

OP, the P-score does not increase linearly with GPU power, compare only your graphics sub-score to know the full improvement. 3Dmark11 typically shows 95-100% scaling with SLI, and is likely one of the very few programs you will find that do that.

He is quoting the p-score for sure. My 770's also score 24k stock on graphics score. What happened to that 690?

Sold the 690. Got a good deal on the 770s. 24k? What is your 770s boosting to? Must be around 1300.

I am not a benchmark junkie, this is actually the first time I ran one in a long time. I just wanted to see the percentage increase i get from my investment since just gaming and fps can be biased, and I did not want to drink my own koolaid i guess by saying OMg i got SLI i am destrying these games now. I wanted to see exactly what happened.

The graphics sub score. hmm I have to check that out, is it under a different tab on the results screen? I have the free basic edition.

If you want to see exactly what happens, run your games and take in the experience. It's really that simple. 3D Mark and all that nonsense stopped being relevant five years ago for anything but benchmark comparisons.

I don't know what my 3D Mark score is but all the games I've played so far have scaled extremely well with my 2nd 680.

Back