GTX680 Extreme Heat

EtherealConstruct

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

I got my first watercooled loop up recently, and I thought everything was going fine, until I tried to play a game. The game has some bugs, so it might not be this, but the game was crashing my system after playing for only a very short time. I decided to download FurMark and GPU-Z to observe my temps under load. I was VERY (and unpleasantly) surprised to see that the GPU was getting to >100 degrees celsius under load. Something is very, very wrong here. Here are my specs:

i7 3930k (stock clocks/voltages) -> Heatkiller 3.0 block
GTX 680 (stock clocks/voltages) -> Heatkiller LT block
Cold Fusion Tube Res
MCP650
Swiftech Quad Radiator + 4x GT1450

No Leaks, cleaned out blocks before I installed them... CPU temps look fine....

Ideas for debug?? Thanks!

I can feel the GPU block getting very hot under load- so something is transferring a lot of heat- it seems like it's just not getting wicked away fast enough. Will still try to re-mount the block though, thanks.

What are your CPU temps like? What's the flow like coming back into your res (is it a trickle or is it a good spout of fluid)?

CPU 34-35 C idle, 50-56 C load (Prime95 blend)

GPU starts like 40 C idle then rapidly rises to 99+ through Furmark

Flow seems to be ok, not just a trickle.

Does the GPU block have a specific inlet port and outlet port? Some aren't bi-directional and need correct flow orientation, so check that. Otherwise, check the mounting of the GPU block, especially on the core.

Double-checked instructions. No specific inlet/outlet. Will have to wait to check mounting of GPU block, but will do that as well.

If your GPU block is getting really hot it might also suggest you have an air bubble in there and the water cant flow well to remove all the heat.

I'd bet contact. Alot of GPU only blocks need a shim for this current gen of videocards.

Might still have air in the lines? Have you made sure the system has been bled properly?

If the block is getting very hot it has at least decent contact, but the water is not cooling it enough for some reason.

Are the CPU and GPU blocks plumbed serially or in parallel?

Res-> Pump -> Rad -> GPU -> CPU -> Res

I flipped it upside down and all over the place to try to dislodge any stray bubbles that hadn't been bled out. The water level in the reservoir did go down a little, suggesting something got knocked loose. This causes the coolant to foam up though (force of water hitting the coolant). Not seeing any improvements in temps though.. any tips on bleeding? Been tilting it back and forth to no avail.

Really don't want to take apart loop if I don't have to (not enough coolant left)... I think it makes sense that something is restricting the flow though.

Is it still possible that the block is mounted incorrectly if the block is getting very hot? The way the heatkiller installs, I'm not really sure I could have got it on if it wasn't fitted correctly. Of course, that will still be my last resort.

EDIT: Also, can someone tell me the general temps I should be expecting at idle and load please?

any tips on bleeding? Been tilting it back and forth to no avail.

Tilt the component so that the flow of water goes from bottom to top.

Really don't want to take apart loop if I don't have to (not enough coolant left)... I think it makes sense that something is restricting the flow though

This is why everybody should always have quick disconnects. They let you partition out issues like this much easier.

Is it still possible that the block is mounted incorrectly if the block is getting very hot? The way the heatkiller installs, I'm not really sure I could have got it on if it wasn't fitted correctly. Of course, that will still be my last resort.

Not terribly likely if the block is getting really hot. Is it possible your loop has a large air bubble somewhere else before the GPU and that's preventing flow? When you filled up the loop did you put it in the res, turn the pump on for a very short time, then re-fill (and cycled this as needed)? Is your reservoir at the highest point in your loop (makes bleeding much easier).

EDIT: Also, can someone tell me the general temps I should be expecting at idle and load please?

Assuming an ambient temp of 25C your GPU should idle in the mid 30s and load no more than 45C. This is assuming you're not overclocked.

I had one of those GTX260s at launch that had the really bad contact. It heated up the whole side of my case. I would still check contact.

Even if the block is a little loose it'll kill temps. I had it happen with my current blocks.

I would cut in a drain line and test with distilled water. Once you have everything working properly get some coolant if you really want.

It is odd that the gpu block would get so hot.

Might not hurt to really test the cpu. Run prime or IBT for a good while to see if temps build up. If they don't something is up with the gpu block.

Could you upload a pic of your loop?

Ok, looks like I am going to have to take it apart this weekend. Anyway I tilt, there is no telltale rush of bubbles. I think either there is something going on with the block's internal channels or its contact because the flow of the loop in general seems ok (rush of water into reservoir, good CPU temps). I did fill up the loop a little at a time, there is tubing above the res, so it's not quite the highest point of the loop. Will report back after I take it apart and put it back together again.

Whew.. temps are so much better now. I think there was a lot of restriction in the block due to a build of of particles and some type of cardboard in it haha. This block is brand new, been running for ~ 1week :/ There was also some corrosion in it (surprised to see that already too), cleaned that up.

Anyways, temps are now great. CPU sticking to 30s idle 50s load, GPU 27 idle, 37 load! Thanks guys.

ZZdmFl.jpg

Good man! Glad you got it fixed! And was the corrosion black? That's copper II oxide and will eventually coat every piece of exposed copper in your loop. However, it doesn't really hurt performance so no worries :).

Yup, the corrosion was black-ish. That's probably what it was, I just figured since I was in there already I might as well cover all the bases. Looking forward to some gaming after I finish bleeding all the air out!

Back