GTX670 upgrade to GTX1070 which one?

amd7674

[H]ard|Gawd
My gtx670 is getting a little rusty for my lovely 32LD450 IPS 4:4:4 monitor. It is only 1080p60 and I hope it will last few more years. I know it will be a little overkill for 1080p60, but I change my GPUs every 3-4 years on my main rig, and I think extra oomph my help in a couple of years or if I upgrade my display to 1440p or 1080p144 :)

At the moment I'm using Asus GTX670 which had no issues whatsoever. Last year I bought vanilla Zotac GTX970 for my kids HTCP in the living room, no issues there. However I did moded a little with Noctua's fans :).

What GTX1070 would be best when it comes to noise levels? With my HAF922 case I should be able to fit any card there is.

I'm planning to buy it in the middle of September (saving some $$$ now and stock levels are very crappy), but since it is a lot of $$$ I would like to start my research early.

I like the Asus 3 fans solution, always wanted EVGA cards, and there is the MSI... way too many options...

Thanks in Advance. :)

the MSI and eVGA are more tall and not long (sticking up past the pci bracket area a good ways), the Asus, Gigabyte, and Zotac's are more long (border-lining on giant - lol). Any of them would be a fine choice imo depending on your case room (HAF922 - should fit any).

the MSI and eVGA are more tall and not long (sticking up past the pci bracket area a good ways), the Asus, Gigabyte, and Zotac's are more long (border-lining on giant - lol). Any of them would be a fine choice imo depending on your case room (HAF922 - should fit any).

Thanks for your feedback :)

Since I have to wait till mid of September, hopefully by then prices and stock will settle. Also I would like to see GTX1060 proper reviews and benchmarks. In Canada we totally get screwed by poor exchange rate... :cry:

Thanks for your feedback :)

Since I have to wait till mid of September, hopefully by then prices and stock will settle. Also I would like to see GTX1060 proper reviews and benchmarks. In Canada we totally get screwed by poor exchange rate... :cry:

Yes we do. That said, I picked up the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1070 and it's been running for the last couple weeks. No problems, you can hear the fans quietly running when the card is OC'd to ~2Ghz -- it stays around 63 Celsius. Best description I can give... the first couple times I heard it, I thought my washing machine was running down in the basement. It's barely audible, especially when you're actually playing something.

Yes we do. That said, I picked up the Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1070 and it's been running for the last couple weeks. No problems, you can hear the fans quietly running when the card is OC'd to ~2Ghz -- it stays around 63 Celsius. Best description I can give... the first couple times I heard it, I thought my washing machine was running down in the basement. It's barely audible, especially when you're actually playing something.

Friend of my got G1 1070, he said it is not too bad noise wise, but he would go for Strix if he had a choice. He like 5 heat pipe design.

Since most if not all 1070 will offer similar OC performance within 50Mhz even with sophisticated power distribution... I guess it is up to the shape, looks and warranty.

According to this G1 Gaming review, MSI, EVGA with their 2 fan offerings are quieter under load.

index.php

There are a lot of great cards out there, but are there good RMA procedures? This is one of the reason I tend to go EVGA. Also, my ACX 3.0 is very quiet. The only time it really gets louder than my nearly silent case fans is when I crank it up in AfterBurner.

On that note, the last version of Precision X OC did NOT play nice with my system and repeatable, sustainable clocks. So I'm running an EVGA card with MSI overclocking software.

My gtx670 is getting a little rusty for my lovely 32LD450 IPS 4:4:4 monitor. It is only 1080p60 and I hope it will last few more years. I know it will be a little overkill for 1080p60, but I change my GPUs every 3-4 years on my main rig, and I think extra oomph my help in a couple of years or if I upgrade my display to 1440p or 1080p144 :)

At the moment I'm using Asus GTX670 which had no issues whatsoever. Last year I bought vanilla Zotac GTX970 for my kids HTCP in the living room, no issues there. However I did moded a little with Noctua's fans :).

What GTX1070 would be best when it comes to noise levels? With my HAF922 case I should be able to fit any card there is.

I'm planning to buy it in the middle of September (saving some $$$ now and stock levels are very crappy), but since it is a lot of $$$ I would like to start my research early.

I like the Asus 3 fans solution, always wanted EVGA cards, and there is the MSI... way too many options...

Thanks in Advance. :)

Unless you have a particular AIB favorite, any of them are solid choices (surprisingly, even Mister Cheapie - the MSI GTX 1070 AERO; I call it "Mister Cheapie" as it has the lowest price).

If you would prefer a more silent but well-cooled dual-fan card, then you want ACX 3.x (EVGA), STRIX (ASUS) or FROZR (MSI) - and you're right there - options all over the place! If you have a motherboard from one of them, you may want to choose a GPU from the same AIB (MSI in my own case) simply to avoid utility-clutter (which is why I'm looking hard @ MSI, despite normally having a preference for ASUS).

I'm feeling kinda stuck deciding between RX 480, GTX 1060 (not available yet) or going severe overkill with GTX 1070 - the issue is - oddly enough - 4K vs. price (while I can't get a 4K display yet, even I know I will in the next twelve months); therefore, it IS something I have to plan for. The immediate question is whether GTX 1060 can go there at all; if it can't, then it's down to RX480 or GTX 1070 (availability vs. price) - and neither is any great shakes on the availability front.

Thanks for your feedback guys... I might go with EVGA or MSI (my mobo) this time around... I still have 2 months to decide... hopefully by then there won't be any in stock issues ;)

For your needs if you set on 4k display in the near future, will 1070 be good enough for 4k? Unless you are thinking about going dual card with 2 x 1070 or Rx 480? If I'm not mistaken 1060 won't have SLI support.

Myself I just learned last night how to get 75HZ on my 32" 1080P IPS TV (LG 32LD450). Also it took me a while to get proper 4:4:4 subsampling chroma working in win10 (had to disable extended block on hdmi) with dvi/hdmi adapter.

Problem is there are a lot of games locked at 60FPS due to their poor console ports.... grrrrr... (n)

After reading few gtx1060 reviews I still think gtx1070 is a way to go... Even for 1080p rez, it should be more future proof.

I have an Evga GTX 670 FTW, I just ordered the Evga 1070 GTX FTW for my 24" Benq XL2420t. I think you'd be very happy with the 1070.

Is there really a reason to get anything other than the Windforce 1070? The FTW has been on sale for a bit at $439. I'm at the point of just saying fuck it to AMD.

Back