GTX580 3GB availability

CrazyRob

[H]ard|Gawd
Where have all the GTX580 3GB cards gone? I've noticed Newegg's stock is dwindling, and other price gouging has been going on around the net. The rumors I've read about Kepler indicate their high end won't be out until late next year, so I doubt Nvidia is clearing out inventory. Is this just Holiday shopping combined with nothing new on the horizon?

might be thier way of artifically bolstering thier sales figures, or they plan on pushing new ones out faster, or another derivative GTX585?

Where have all the GTX580 3GB cards gone? I've noticed Newegg's stock is dwindling, and other price gouging has been going on around the net. The rumors I've read about Kepler indicate their high end won't be out until late next year, so I doubt Nvidia is clearing out inventory. Is this just Holiday shopping combined with nothing new on the horizon?

Don't go to NewEgg for a 580... I've been shopping one for a while now and just decided to put my build on hold till next year when Tahiti comes out. NewEgg is notorious for price fixing and gouging... It's just NewEgg who does not have the 580s. They seem to be all over the place except NewEgg..

I found a ton on a simple Google Search and hitting the Shopping tab...

http://www.google.com/search?gcx=c&...w.,cf.osb&fp=1675119eaf3e1fa&biw=1920&bih=979

Tiger has a ton of 580s and the MSI Lightning 3GB that I've been wanting as well.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=gtx+580

Don't go to NewEgg for a 580... I've been shopping one for a while now and just decided to put my build on hold till next year when Tahiti comes out. NewEgg is notorious for price fixing and gouging... It's just NewEgg who does not have the 580s. They seem to be all over the place except NewEgg..

I found a ton on a simple Google Search and hitting the Shopping tab...

http://www.google.com/search?gcx=c&...w.,cf.osb&fp=1675119eaf3e1fa&biw=1920&bih=979

Tiger has a ton of 580s and the MSI Lightning 3GB that I've been wanting as well.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=gtx+580

newegg has a metric shit ton of them, never had a problem with the EGG,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

Well, most of those are the 1.5GB versions. There are only 2 of the 3GB ones in stock atm, and one of those is for WC only.

Yeah... the egg has a lot of them.. I am eyeballing the gigabyte one with the 3 fans on it, seems like a nice cool running and reasonably quiet card... but I think I can milk these 470s a little bit longer... I've had these OC'd as high as they will go at 1.087v since I got them but temps have always been very under control with wc... but hope I don't blow a vrm :eek:

Just the pathetic lowlifes who sell on ebay and forums, simple minded folk they are. Don't sweat it, plenty of stock around.

shit blew up on newegg because they have EVERY 580 model available on newegg right now as of today or yesterday

lol, I just checked out newegg and they do have literally every model. Even a Batman AC one

Why would anyone buy these now that the Radeon HD 7970 has been announced and should have availability in three weeks or so?

Why would anyone buy these now that the Radeon HD 7970 has been announced and should have availability in three weeks or so?

Nvidia driver support, CUDA, noise, being an Nvidia fan? I'm a 6870 owner and have switched betweem AMD and Nvidia almost every generation. There's are good things about each.

Nvidia driver support, CUDA, noise, being an Nvidia fan? I'm a 6870 owner and have switched betweem AMD and Nvidia almost every generation. There's are good things about each.

It's my understanding that fan noise is less on the Radeon HD 7970. Driver support I can give you, but the performance of the Radeon HD 7970 outstrips the GTX 580. Not only that but AMD driver support is far better than it used to be. Multimonitor setup for NV Surround also has some disadvantages vs. Eyefinity. Eyefinity has configuration profiles you can switch back and fourth to at anytime. If I want to disable NV Surround for work, I need to setup the monitors pretty much as though I just setup the system for the first time. This has to be done each and every time. It's really a pain in the ass.

It's my understanding that fan noise is less on the Radeon HD 7970. Driver support I can give you, but the performance of the Radeon HD 7970 outstrips the GTX 580. Not only that but AMD driver support is far better than it used to be. Multimonitor setup for NV Surround also has some disadvantages vs. Eyefinity. Eyefinity has configuration profiles you can switch back and fourth to at anytime. If I want to disable NV Surround for work, I need to setup the monitors pretty much as though I just setup the system for the first time. This has to be done each and every time. It's really a pain in the ass.

One review I read, believe it was Guru3d or Anandtech, stated the fan was louder out of the box under load. Most likely firmware settings trading lower temps for higher fan speed.

I ran an Eyefinity setup with three U2311 Dell Ultrasharps for more than year and couldn't stand it. Tried portrait and landscape. It's my belief that Surround and Eyefinity are a novelty for gaming. You NEED $1500+ in video cards to drive even older titles to 60 FPS and it's not possible with new releases. Widescreen fixers and 3rd party apps are a necessity. Then you need to remove the bezels from your expensive monitors. After that you still will deal with all kinds of quirkyness with application launches and legacy apps. They work really well for spreadsheets and other resolution intensive apps. I've never ran a SLI setup but a friend has run 8800GT SLI since the original MW came out. One day while looking at his game settings I realized he didn't have SLI enabled and had been running off a single GPU for who knows how long.

My choice would be the 7970 but I can definitely see reasons why Nvidia would be chosen. Driver support at game launches is a pretty big deal. Hardware is just an enabler of software. Having to deal with hardware compatibility issues along with the bug infestations that go along with PC gaming these days is a bugger.

The multi-monitor setups are impressive if you want to show off. It's not all bad :)
desktop_H.jpg

U2311_on.png

Last edited:

I have an AMD powered rig for my work/lanparty system, and I must say, I far prefer Nvidia's driver/software implementation over ATI's. Additionally, I have, and enjoy using, a 3d Surround configuration. Until AMD both naively supports 3D Eyefinity (not relying on 3rd party software) and also support native 120hz displays, they aren't really a very good option for me. I read that they're making improvments in this area, but it seems to me, that best case scenario, I'd need several active display port to dual link dvi adapters, as well as some third party glasses/receiver that may not exist in addition to drivers and software that don't sound quite ready yet.

Back