GTX570 crashing - is this PSU?

Tabs

Limp Gawd
I got my EVGA 570 today... I'm getting random crashes in several games with it. My PSU is the Corsair HX 620W... I'm worried this might too low for it and that's the cause.

Rest of the system:

MSI P55-GD65 mobo
i7 860 OCed @ 3.8GHz, 1.35v
4GB Corsair DDR3 1600
WD Caviar Black 1TB HD
WD Caviar (older) 250GB HD
LG DVD-RW
Coolermaster Sniper Case with the fan controller and LED fans
24" LG 246W LCD
Logitech G15 & G500
Win 7 x64 Ultimate

Am I likely to be hitting 620W with this or is the problem something else?

Thanks!

Card could be faulty or PSU could be faulty (and its fault is merely being exposed by being under load). But no, it's not a case of the PSU being overpowered. Use any of the PSU power calculators; you've been around long enough to sort that out.

Newegg's calculator says 603W for these specs (choosing a GTX470 as closest) - it doesn't take the CPU overclock into account either... I just wonder how close I actually am to the limit here.

im using the same PSU with gtx480 and Q9550 at 3.8ghz, works fine.

run the game with stock cpu settings, unplug one of your hdd's and LED fans and see what happens.

there is just too many things that cause games to crash so it might take a while to find out what's causing it.

Upgraded from a GTX260 SP216 896MB.

System was built in Jan of this year. Has been rock solid stable the whole time until today - pretty sure I never saw anything at all crash actually.

I've seen BC2 and MS FSX both crash to desktop today - neither has ever given me trouble before. I work for an FS addon dev and I run the sim constantly too, I would have seen it already if it was an issue with the overclock or anything. I opened a ticket with EVGA asking what they thought about the issue... we'll see what they say.

I'm gonna go pick up a Kill A Watt at Fry's and see what it's really using under load here in a sec I think...

Try doing a clean install of the drivers, if your having an issue there you can use driver sweeper to clean out all traces of the video driver and then re-install the drivers. Make sure antivirus software is disabled when your installing the drivers. You want to make sure your using the drivers from the CD tha came with it or the new WHQL 263 drivers on nvidia's website as those are the only drivers that support GTX 570 and others will not install or give you issues. Make sure all of your bios settings are okay, and if possible flash the latest bios on your motherboard. I dont think it's your PSU as post 2 suggested however it could be a defective card or PSU and it is showing itself now that it's being stressed beyond its 80% point. If possible disable your overclocking and try again, that alone should net you about 100watts extra.

My roughly comparable system with a 480 only draws something like 450W at the wall running flat-out, so I doubt you are exceeding the PSU ability. I had an HX620 in there for a while as well, before I moved it to my wife's system..

Two 570s with a 650W Antec Earhwatts here and mine's doing fine (stress tests included running Stone Giant, SuperPi & resize large image in Paint.NET at the same time). What's your GPU voltage in something like Heaven or Stone Giant using NVIDIA Inspector? It seems that these 570s are a lot more efficient about their power consumption than previous gen-Fermis; the updated power circuitry might be drawing power in a way that's less jarring to the 12V rails (speculation).

Ok guys,

The Kill A Watt shows a total draw even in Metro 2033 of only 450-470W or so fluctuating. FSX is way lower, not even at 400W.

I cleaned out the driver with the latest Driver Cleaner. I did uninstall the driver before I pulled the 260 out but I figured that the whole cleaner thing wasn't necessary given that it was another Nvidia card and the whole unified driver thing. Appears this may have been it - things seem better now, I haven't seen any crashes yet since doing it.

Gonna try 3D Mark 11...

Ok guys,

The Kill A Watt shows a total draw even in Metro 2033 of only 450-470W or so fluctuating. FSX is way lower, not even at 400W.

I cleaned out the driver with the latest Driver Cleaner. I did uninstall the driver before I pulled the 260 out but I figured that the whole cleaner thing wasn't necessary given that it was another Nvidia card and the whole unified driver thing. Appears this may have been it - things seem better now, I haven't seen any crashes yet since doing it.

Gonna try 3D Mark 11...

Congrats. Although just keep in mind 3dmark 11 is very unpolished and unstable so dont use that as any indication your having an issue with the card. Enjoy the card dude ;)

Yeah, definitely not the HX620W being overloaded unless it's faulty. My HX620W has powered my sig + 8800GTS 640mb SSC alongside the GTX 280 just fine. I have friends that run SLI GTX 280s off HX620Ws w/out issue as well (although that cuts things quite too close for my tastes, I like to leave the PSU some breathing room).

Metro 2033 is blazing fast now as long as PhysX and DoF are off - everything else maxed, 1920X1200. That was a total slideshow on the old card.

Just played WoW Cataclysm for a few hours too - perfectly stable with no crashing (I know it's not a GPU intensive game, but still, it works!)

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice here. I'm gonna hold on to the Kill A Watt, neat device - I think I'll check how much our TV is wasting while off with it next...

Update (not good unfortunately):

FSX (which I have to be able to run well due to my job at an aircraft addon dev) is just flat out slower on this card than on the GTX260. I can't explain it, but it definitely is. In the exact same situation with the same driver settings and same settings in the sim, I get nearly double the average framerate with the 260. I've swapped the cards 5 times testing this within the last two days. The 570 drops as low as 15FPS at times where the 260 is up around 40. My only thought is that it's some kind of driver issue specific to the 570 - there's people on the simming forums with new 580s using this same driver that are posting numbers that are just so far beyond what I'm seeing that there has to be something wrong.

Other games are fine, I scored nearly 3 times the average framerate in the Heaven benchmark as the 260 did etc. It just doesn't make any sense.

As a last ditch attempt, I put a 775W PSU in tonight, absolutely no difference at all.

I think the card's going back Monday unfortunately - we're going beta soon on a huge product and I need FSX to run well for the testing... EVGA's support responded very quickly but didn't suggest anything I hadn't already tried and they say there's likely nothing wrong with the hardware itself. (which I agree with them on)

Don't the cards now have a widget that lowers clocks to limit power draw? Maybe that's out of whack on your card.

Back