GTX560 Ti or 6870 for BF3

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
Which one would be better for BF3 at 1920x1200?

On paper, the 6870 is 5% or so faster, it's got better rates. But the fact of the matter is that BOTH cards are equally as good, with the Geforce GTX 560 Ti possibly being the better performer overall, but by a small, small margin. I'd get a factory OC'ed 560 Ti if you can find one. If you head to newegg, PNY has a great one that's OC'ed, Enthusiast Edition

I used to run one a week ago before I got another for SLI, and it's a piece of ACE. Performs great.

You have it confused there BiH115. Look here the GTX 560 Ti is faster, you maybe thinking about the GTX 460/560. If you want to save money get a 6870 or if want to burn it go with the GTX 560 Ti. Neither is a bad choice.

Technically, they're both great cards. I'd honestly just go with the 560 Ti, it's more impressive.

given that nvidia is the primary graphic card sponsor for BF3 go with the 560 TI even if the 6870 is slightly faster the games going to be geared around nvidia's drivers.

560ti if for no other reason that ATIs drivers are in a bad state.

560ti if for no other reason that ATIs drivers are in a bad state.

^^^^^^^^^^^ This guy has no idea what hes talking about ^^^^^^^^^^^

My 6970's are working just fine and have no problems with any game!

Yeah I've used both Nvidia and Ati. And at least this year so far I think ATI drivers have been much better. The only thing that worries me about getting Nvidia GTX560 is the problem that they have with BC2 and stuttering. I know BF3 is based on a similar engine and I don't want to worry about that...

gtx560ti and overclock it (99% of them hit 950 core) for 6970/gtx570 like performance.

img.php

Right now none. I returned the GTX570HD in my sig because of a lack of aftermarket coolers for it. And I thought it was overkill for my res..so now its either a 560 ti or 6950

Right now none. I returned the GTX570HD in my sig because of a lack of aftermarket coolers for it. And I thought it was overkill for my res..so now its either a 560 ti or 6950

In that case get whatever you can get cheaper. I'm pretty sure you can get a gtx560ti for 40$ cheaper and overclock it..

gtx 560 ti. it can overclock to greater than a 6950. My gf has a 560 ti and i have a 6950 (unlocked to 6970 ) both of us on 1920x1080 she runs her games atleast 40+ fps higher.

gtx 560 ti. it can overclock to greater than a 6950. My gf has a 560 ti and i have a 6950 (unlocked to 6970 ) both of us on 1920x1080 she runs her games atleast 40+ fps higher.

Unless we're talking something like Streetfighter, you've got other issues besides the performance differences between those 2 cards. A 580 wouldn't run at least 40+ fps higher than an unlocked 6950.

Unless we're talking something like Streetfighter, you've got other issues besides the performance differences between those 2 cards. A 580 wouldn't run at least 40+ fps higher than an unlocked 6950.

I very highly doubt you can find many places where a GTX580 is 40+fps higher than a 6970 (an unlocked 6950).

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/292?vs=305

edit: I may stand corrected in terms of a handful of games that seem to be just better coded for nvidia cards, but for the most part I woudl expect the 580 to be about 10-15% faster.

I'm debating between the HD 6950 2GB and GTX560 TI 1GB. I'll be overclocking whatever I get and stick at waterblock on (already have a w/c system, so why not continue to use it?) Is the 1GB less VRAM going to be an issue for BF3? Or do most folks go with the GX650 TI 2GB version that is ~$70 more than the 1 GB version?

Id defiantly go with the GTX 560.

Mostly the latest games will use more than 1GB so the 2GB version will do better at higher res.

The FPS will not change much between 1Gb and 2GB. That memory is used for the processing of the graphics, but most games don't even use a full 1Gb of video memory. The video memory is a bit more important when you have very high resolution displays, or dual high def. displays, like 3 monitors at 1920x1080. Then the video card needs that extra memory (it helps somewhat). However, for single monitors, and many dual setups, 1Gb is enough for most games...

If the video test uses less than 1Gb of video memory, the FPS will be exactly the same between a 1Gb and 2Gb video card....

^^^^^^^^^^^ This guy has no idea what hes talking about ^^^^^^^^^^^

My 6970's are working just fine and have no problems with any game!

Really? How does GTA4 run with the latest patch? Does it still look like its raining green? Does it still stutter like a bastard?

What about Crysis? Can you run AA without any artifacts?

What about opengl source ports like eduke32 (especially withe the polymer renderer), Darkplaces, or Qrack? Are they completely smooth?

What about FSX?

How about King's Bounty?

Here is a good link with a few more annoying issues.

I'm not bitching about AMD drivers but don't say you have no issues in any game since thats BS. You might not have noticed any but there are some known issues. Both camps have them but to be honest Nvidia seems to have a bit less on a single card.

My brother and I looked at this very carefully tonight, after painstaking research we both decided a 6950 was a better choice for his system. Also OP there is a !GB 6950 as well which can also be unlocked (depending on your luck with the gpu) and they can be found for cheaper.

I'm not entirely sure why the options are to get either a 6870 or a GTX 560 Ti as those 2 cards are in different price classed and I'm sure if you sold your 570 HD and can afford a GTX 560 Ti then, you can afford a 6950 1GB like this unlockable model that my brother just ordered from the Egg today

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150524

Remember no guarantee they will unlock but this model does have a dual bios switch and some reviews show the card has sucessfully unlocked even on the newegg feedback

Which one would be better for BF3 at 1920x1200?

I assume a single GPU. They're both pretty good. Just pick whatever you like. Also Crossfire/SLI is now functioning in the beta. You MIGHT want to consider Crossfire/SLI for BF3.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150524

Remember no guarantee they will unlock but this model does have a dual bios switch and some reviews show the card has sucessfully unlocked even on the newegg feedback

Thats actually one of the first cards that I heard people complaining about not being able to unlock. What was the date on the last Newegg review claiming that card was unlockable?

If I'm not mistaken that card needs a pcb mod just to flash the bios. Even if that works I kind of doubt that the shaders will actually unlock.

img.php

The 560Ti is faster, but as you can see, neither of them are anywhere near powerful enough to run the game at max detail, so such a difference is moot. Consider them on other merits -mainly price, in which case the HD6870 is hands down the winner, if the $150 after-rebate offer is still on.

On paper, the 6870 is 5% or so faster, it's got better rates. But the fact of the matter is that BOTH cards are equally as good, with the Geforce GTX 560 Ti possibly being the better performer overall, but by a small, small margin. I'd get a factory OC'ed 560 Ti if you can find one. If you head to newegg, PNY has a great one that's OC'ed, Enthusiast Edition

I used to run one a week ago before I got another for SLI, and it's a piece of ACE. Performs great.

6870 is fater than the 560ti? link?

heck, factory oc'd 560ti at 950mhz are even faster in some games than the 6950 and stock 570 at 1080p or lower.

I imagine factory overclocked HD6870s are faster than stock GTX560Tis as well...

I imagine factory overclocked HD6870s are faster than stock GTX560Tis as well...

differerent architecture, amd gpu's dont gain much performance when overclocked.

you should have known this by now.

if you dont know something i suggest that you dont get involved.

learn more about their shaders speed/mhz, and not just the core clock.

Last edited:

:confused: You are lucky to got a 10% overclock with a 6870, without really pumping up the voltage.

differerent architecture, amd gpu's dont gain much performance when overclocked.

I don't buy that. If that were true 6950 wouldn't come so close to 6970 performance at the same clock speed. The same thing is true with 5850 and 5870.

get ATI just to not go with nvidia again...i try to switch brands..this time nvidia, this time ati, this time nvidia, this time ati

at the end of the day, you support competition and performance wise its the same shit, just some marketing brain fucking ... 2 to 5 fps more or less, is it going to impact your game awefully?

if so, get the best one, if not? get the cheaper one and have a burger with your chick after.

:confused: You are lucky to got a 10% overclock with a 6870, without really pumping up the voltage.

I don't buy that. If that were true 6950 wouldn't come so close to 6970 performance at the same clock speed. The same thing is true with 5850 and 5870.

at high res and alot of AA the 6970 is alot more faster than you think than 6950.

it is only then when the extra shaders kick in.

you clearly dont know how things work yet, you will learn.

at high res and alot of AA the 6970 is alot more faster than you think than 6950.

The extra shaders show a MAX difference of around 3%. The difference in performance is attributable to the difference in clock speeds.

Rather than treat everyone who kisses nvidia's ass like a retard, if you're so intolerant of anyone that doesn't think the same way you do, don't bother responding to them. The difference between the HD6870 and GTX560Ti in most titles is 10% or so, rarely more. The HD6870 may not be an easy card to overclock, but it can certainly manage 10%. Canucks got a 6870 to 970mhz at stock volts and 1.02Ghz with a voltage increase. This provided them with a 9-15% performance increase.

What quality level do you want to run it at?
If High or Ultra
if going with the 560 ti, get the 2gb model if budget allows
if going AMD, go with a 6950 2gb model if budget allows

If you don't mind tweaking some settings, you can get it to play with a Nvidia 8600 GT (way below system specs) on a 1.8ghz Pentium e2160, in a window at about 800x600 resolution (guessing based on window height/width and screen resolution)

Single unlocked 6950 880/1400(basically a 6970) dips into the mid 30's in the BF3 beta at 1900x1200, settings on High (I can't seem to get ultra to stick in the beta yet)
The dual Toxic's 6950's (unlocked, factory oc'd) never go below 60
Both are on overclocked i5-2500k's

For BF3 It's still beta, and drivers will improve it.. if you can hold out, wait until release to make a decision as things will change and you might be able to get away alot less GPU and save some money, if you don't mind lowering some settings, you can without a doubt use less GPU on it.

Thats actually one of the first cards that I heard people complaining about not being able to unlock. What was the date on the last Newegg review claiming that card was unlockable?

If I'm not mistaken that card needs a pcb mod just to flash the bios. Even if that works I kind of doubt that the shaders will actually unlock.

The review was from about 2 months ago on the egg. Anyway my brothers card should get here today or by monday the latest. I'll be going over to unlock it myself and I'll post an update on this thread to say if it unlocks or not. It could be helpful to the community.

The review was from about 2 months ago on the egg. Anyway my brothers card should get here today or by monday the latest. I'll be going over to unlock it myself and I'll post an update on this thread to say if it unlocks or not. It could be helpful to the community.

I'll be interested to hear how it works out.

The extra shaders show a MAX difference of around 3%. The difference in performance is attributable to the difference in clock speeds.

its more than 3%.

Back