GTX470 reads as "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter"

Colonel_Panic

Limp Gawd
I just installed the a waterblock on my second GTX470 and when I booted for the first time, the card was discovered as "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter." I'm pretty sure the card is seated properly, and the PSU has enough power because I was running it on air previously.

I also just installed the newest GeForce drivers and still nothing. What are the odds it's a hardware problem?

Maybe the waterblock or a mounting bracket is shorting something out?

that would be pretty weird, usually if you have a short anywhere the machine will just not power on.

what does device manager pull it up as? i'd try wiping all the drivers in safe mode and rebooting, windows should redetect it as something and try again to install a driver for it.

does the install actually completely successfully?

if sock's suggestion doesn't work then it means you corrupted the bios on the card. you have 2 options, you can try to force reflash the card in dos, or beg the manufacture to allow you to RMA it..

i had this happen to me with an old 7300GT that was softmodded to a 7600GT and overclocked.. system crashed while playing a game.. restarted and thats all she wrote for that card.. now its a 512mb frame buffer back up card..

Originally the second card was a "standard vga graphics adapter" in device manager with the yellow exclamation point. I uninstalled that device and the yellow exclamation turned to a 3D Vision Controller device further down the list. Before quitting last night I tried to go back to the 266.xx drivers, but that didn't find both either.

How might I go about wiping all Nvidia drivers and trying again? Is it possible that it could be caused by the card not being fully seated?

driver cleaner should solve the driver issue.. even if it wasn't seated correctly it would either work or not work.

try the new 280.26 WHQL drivers and see if that helps.

Thanks for the help, folks, here's what I did this evening to get both cards working properly.

Last night I had reinstalled 266.xx drivers, so I uninstalled those (all 4 nvidia applications shown in CP). As per sirmonkey's suggestion, I booted into safe mode and removed all traces of nvidia drivers with driver cleaner. Booted back into normal mode and installed the newest 280.xx drivers.

Both cards are now recognized with SLI and idling at about 50C (approximately 20C lower than air cooling). Cheers!

nice, good to see you got it working and props to you for posting back how you got it to work.

Back