Gtx280 is there really a need to replace?

vary

Weaksauce
I have limited funds, but enough to buy either a gtx 580 or another gtx280 and save 400~ dollars to be put towards my future builds. I'm trying to consider the options but I need outside help. What would you do?:confused:

My res is 1920X1200; but thinking of adding another 1920X1200. I'm pretty sure 2 gtx280 would handle this just fine.

I don't think u really need much more power than 2x GTX 280s unless u wanna use DirectX 11

Do you want DX11? Can your PSU handle 2 x 280s? Can your motherboard? Are you not happy with the games you are playing at that resolution? I recently went from a gtx 260 to a gtx 580 and it was an awesome upgrade but that was because I went from 1920x1200 to 2560x1600, otherwise I was gonna wait for the next gen cards to upgrade.

A 560 or a 570 may also be an option for you but I think the 560 might be more of a sidegrade.

If funds are limited perhaps a second 280 is the best option, or see if you can get two 1gb 460s on the cheap cause they would probably scale better in sli and a quick google search shows some for $160 each + shipping.

Thank you for the reply. I think I will wait till the next release(as I usually talk myself into this anyways). I'll just grab a extra 280 and deal with not having dx11. Hopefully I don't regret it when some badass dx11 game comes out!

you've helped a lot, thanks.

Don't buy another 280. That's a dead end investment. Of course you will get more performance but I would rather save up that money and then buy a new faster single GPU.

Don't buy another 280. That's a dead end investment. Of course you will get more performance but I would rather save up that money and then buy a new faster single GPU.

+1 I agree here.

Only you can answer the question "Do i need to upgrade?" Are games you play struggling on just that GTX 280? If so and you're looking at DX11 maybe then drop on the GTX 560 (Mainstream) GTX570 or the GTX 580 (Enthusiast, will last you long time).

Yea.. do you need to upgrade at all? I run a 260 1920 just fine, but I really only play BC2 MP. lol.

What games do you play?

My son has a P55 SLi MB.
He plays mostly WoW and Starcraft 2 and League of Legends.

I debated what cards to put in his computer when I upgraded it this summer.

I had two GTX 285s and decided to use them.
He has a 24" LCD at 1920 X 1200.

The two 285s do everything he needs, he never complains about any of his games.

If you have a PSU that can handle it, and can do SLi, for the next 6 months at least two 280s would be just fine and probably your cheapest option.

I'm pulling the trigger on a GTX 580 this weekend. Upgrading from a GTX 280 myself. She's getting a little long in the tooth. Time for more power !!! Don't waste your cash on another 280. While still a good card, they just can't quite keep up any longer on some games if you like turning all the eye candy on that games are capable of.

Last edited:
Well imo it would probably make sense for you to either add 1 more 280 or a gtx 460-470 which ever is cheaper. Next gen 28nm is due late this year or more likely early next so bear that in mind.

The problem with adding another GTX 280 now is when you come to upgrade from that, whenever that may be, the cards will not have much value at all. Whereas if you sold that GTX280 now, you'd get something for it at least, shouldn't be that hard to move on, and get yourself a bigger and better card.

That said, what is the rest of your computer like? Especially the PSU.

I currently have a single GTX280 and see no need to upgrade. If I were in your shoes and I NEEDED to upgrade I would go with the newer generation of cards.

The problem with adding another GTX 280 now is when you come to upgrade from that, whenever that may be, the cards will not have much value at all. Whereas if you sold that GTX280 now, you'd get something for it at least, shouldn't be that hard to move on, and get yourself a bigger and better card.

That said, what is the rest of your computer like? Especially the PSU.

What's it matter what the 280 is worth by the time he wants to upgrade next? He's gonna use the shit out of it between now and then for one and secondly he's not gonna pay much for one now so what's the big deal. If he pays say 100 bucks or less for one now he will end up selling it a year from now for what 50 bucks? LOl who cares. Buy it use the crap out of it then sell it for a couple of bucks or toss it in an older box or throw it out. Who cares when it's that cheap?

Edit: Just chcked ebay for the OP and there's 2 buy it now gtx 280's used. One for 135.00 and the other was 130 I believe. That was fleabay I would imagine here theres some members who would be willing to let it one go closer to a 100 bucks. So there ya have it for 100 bucks, or there about, you can't go wrong and how much value you think he will lose in a year? As if it matters anyway but I'm sure he can get at least 50 bucks for each one in a year. So imo go with another cheap gtx 280 and be done with it.

Last edited:
It truly is a hard decision, but i can't resell my current 280 (I had to make some modifications to the brackets to fit in my case). I have a good psu 800w xclio sli certified and i'm fairly confident in it's capabilities. I'd love to get a gtx560 but I read that the increase is not that much and it might be better for my pockets and performance to sli another 280. Though I don't like purchasing used products, I do feel like this is the best performance for cost.
Posted via Mobile Device

If you can get a second 280 at a good price, go for it. Running Sli will give you an improvement and last you until the next greatest thing, and like you stated "save me $400"

I have a pair of BFG 280's in SLI and an i7 920 oc'ed to 3.6Ghz and although I've had some upgrade itches, I'm wondering if there's really a need since I'm at 1080. I reinstalled BFBC2 last night and it ran pretty good cranked while the other games I've been playing (COD, WoW) don't even need the SLI to run good.

It's hard to even use benchmark charts because the 280/285 SLI is never used in any current ones. The lowest you usually see is some 450 or 5770 and I'm pretty sure the 280's are grabbing better numbers even if they are 'stuck' at DX10. I wonder how it compares to say a 560/6950.

I have limited funds, but enough to buy either a gtx 580 or another gtx280 and save 400~ dollars to be put towards my future builds. I'm trying to consider the options but I need outside help. What would you do?:confused:

My res is 1920X1200; but thinking of adding another 1920X1200. I'm pretty sure 2 gtx280 would handle this just fine.

save money and forgo the 580GTX. get a 570GTX. right now the GTX580 is simply stupid price compared to it. and it will be a hell of an upgrade over a 280. unless your going balls to the wall system the 580 is a suckers bet right now.

Do you want DX11? Can your PSU handle 2 x 280s? Can your motherboard? Are you not happy with the games you are playing at that resolution? I recently went from a gtx 260 to a gtx 580 and it was an awesome upgrade but that was because I went from 1920x1200 to 2560x1600, otherwise I was gonna wait for the next gen cards to upgrade.

A 560 or a 570 may also be an option for you but I think the 560 might be more of a sidegrade.

If funds are limited perhaps a second 280 is the best option, or see if you can get two 1gb 460s on the cheap cause they would probably scale better in sli and a quick google search shows some for $160 each + shipping.

The GTX 560 is definitely not a sidegrade for a GTX 280. It's quite a considerable upgrade, but as always, it depends on the game:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20293/8

If you look at the GTX 260 scores and add 20%, the GTX 560 is consdeirably faster in almost every new game out there.

For 1920x1200 you don't really need a GTX 580. A GTX 570 or GTX 560 are more than enough.
For budget reasons the GTX 560 is obviously your best bet. Quite a bit faster than the GTX 280 and with all the bells and whistles for DX11.
The GTX 570 will obviously be an even bigger leap in performance, from a GTX 280, but it's also $100 more than a GTX 560.

You also have AMD options like the HD 6950, but you only mentioned NVIDIA cards, so I'm guessing you prefer those.
If I were you I would get a GTX 560 and add a second one later on . Two of those are better than a GTX 580, for about the same price and they will drive your two future monitors nicely.

Price/ Performance wise another gtx280 makes sense and you can pick one up for about 100$.

So 100$ will give you gtx570/6970 performance @ 1080p or you can sell the gtx280 for 100$ and buy a gtx 560 for 230$ and have less performance but a better upgrade path.

If it were me, I'd sell the gtx280 and buy the gtx570 on newegg for 309$ AR with 2 free games and overclock the gtx570 to gtx580 speeds.
If you wanted you could sell the game vouchers for 15$ each easy and you have a gtx570 for 280$.

Last edited:
Performance wise the only real upgrade for gtx280's in sli would be a 6990 or gtx590.
Or 2 gtx560/6950 in sli/x-fire.

Your sli setup is as fast of faster then a single gtx570 or 6970 @ 1080P resolution, so that would be a sidegrade..

He's thinking of getting a second GTX 280, but he doesn't have it just yet!

Definitely don't get a 560, I went from a 280 to a highly oc'd 460 and minimum framerates were much lower with the 460. You won't be truly upgrading until you get into the GF100 or GF110 chips, I would pick up a second 280 dirt cheap or just stick with one. Mine is in my fiance's PC and drives everything she plays at 1920x1200 with no problems.

Back