gtx260 192 vs gtx 216

SoFGR

[H]ard|Gawd
I've done a fair amount of googling before posting this, but i am still confused :S see in my country the cheapest gtx 260 available is evga 192 version at 185 euros, my next option is twintech 216 at 258, money is NOT an issue but i still doubt that the extra cost for the 216 is well worth it, i've read that the 192 version is cooler and overclocks better, is that true ? i mean what's the point of paying 73 euros extra if the cheaper card has better overclocking potential and is only 5-10% slower ? btw how much should i increase the clocks in order to match 216's stock perfomance ? will i need additional cooling for something like 725/1450/1250 or just a cherry picked gpu and some luck ? my case is a well ventilated silverstone TJ-07 so i think the only thing i could really add ( if i have to ) would be a 92nm fan right below the card.

192 is hotter, and overclocks worse. It's not as fast. But it is only about 5-10% slower as you said. Only you can decide if thats worth 70 bucks to you.

192 is hotter, and overclocks worse. It's not as fast. But it is only about 5-10% slower as you said. Only you can decide if thats worth 70 bucks to you.

that's quite the opposite from what i read ..... http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1354896 http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1345059&page=2 http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=162207 http://www.vistax64.com/graphic-cards/200240-55nm-gtx260-flop.html

My mind's already set on the vanilla evga gtx tho, since it is that cheaper

My 192sp 260 runs cool (use RT to set the fan up), OC's to 702/1467/1215 and kicks the crap out of almost every game out there @ 1920x1200.

Right now with my GTX Core 216 clocked to 724/1561/1170, it is folding with the utilization set to 100%. It has been doing this for about 3 hours straight now (but over a week on end like this, really), and the temps are at anywhere from 73-75 C. This is with the fan set on auto, probably around 50% from what it sounds like.

Yeah I get the noise. It really bugged me at first, but now it's not as noticable. When it's at 100% it's a constant noise that is less noticable than the on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off-on-off noise you get if you lower it to say half.

So I guess its not too bad. Once I have the ceiling fan on, and I am listening to music I can't even notice it.

XFX GTX 260 216 core 55nm here... am not hearing any buzzing or anything.

A small update:

I took the upper hard drive cage in my FT01 out (a well known blocking point of air flow) and my card is now running at 64C, same exact conditions.

i just bought an evga gtx260 192 for 185 euros after dumping my ultra hot 4850 for 130 euro, i was trying to assemble my whole system from scratch within 2-3 hours because i ditched my 3 year old silverstone ST60F psu for a corsair 850w tx on the same day.

Anyway i have not POSTed yet, i'll try that in about 2 hours when i get back from work, only thing i can say so far is that this card is HUGE ! damn i wish those sata ports on my DFI 975 x/g were located a couple of inches lower or something, that bulky dual slot cooler is really getting in the way, good thing i had a sata pci card handy

I'm really worried about temps stability and overclocking potential, can't wait to run gpu-z either, maybe they sold me a 55nm 216core card by mistake who knows :p

The 65nm Core216 runs the same temps, and the 55nm variant runs hotter by all accounts. Overclocking has been shown to be essentially the same between these cards, it just depends on luck of the draw. For example, my 192sp EVGA GTX260 (vanilla) will happily run @ 837/1674/1296 with 1.13v, but my gaming clocks are set to 810/1620/1296 with 1.08v - anyone with a Core216 manage any better than that? And yes, of course this is under water ;)

EDIT: Missed OP's post. Enjoy the new card!

what? you do realize that there are 65nm 216sp versions of the gtx260 dont you and those typically oc worse than the 192sp cards. even the 55nm 216sp dont really oc any better or run any cooler than the old 65nm 192sp gtx260. I have a 192sp version and it will do well over 700 core while never getting above 76C in a hot room even at stock fan speeds.

update : i could not get windows to load while using the sata pci card, so i had to move my gpu to the lower 16x slot, now i can use all my sata drives as before but the card runs at only 8x

any ideas ? :(

update : i could not get windows to load while using the sata pci card, so i had to move my gpu to the lower 16x slot, now i can use all my sata drives as before but the card runs at only 8x

any ideas ? :(
if I am not mistaken, my lower slot only runs at at 8x on my P45 chipset too. I believe that is normal.

manual says that both of them can operate at 16x in single vga mode but only 8x in crossfire mode, there's nothing plugged in the upper pci-e slot, what am i doing wrong ? i've send an email to dfi support too but i doubt they care :(

i have another idea, here's my motherboard's layout http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2006/09/dfi_infinity_975x/board_large1.jpg the card is very long and occupies 2 slots so the first blue sata connector becomes unavailable, so i'm thinking of getting an aftermarket graphics card cooler, what do you recommend ? is Thermalright HR-03 GTX - GTX260/280 GPU Cooler a good option ?

btw i really like the stock cooler, i have not even bothered installing riva tuner and messing up with the fan speed settings, i've run for several minutes furmark's xtreme burning mode and i never saw higher than 78C while my 4850 could actually reach 110c at 75% fan speed !!

Back