RTX2080 and RTX2080Ti Reviews online

Stoly

Supreme [H]ardness
I'd post links but its pretty much everywhere, except...

Spoiler alert. Damn they are fast. Whether they are worth the price is another issue, bud damn fast.

Depends what you mean by "fast". 2080 is a more expensive 1080ti with Ray Tracing (that you can't use yet) while the 2080 ti is basically just a new Titan, with the expected price tag.

edit: and neither the 2080 nor the 2080 ti are showing a significant improvement in perf/watt vs Pascal. That sucks for me.

Last edited:
Not really :)
Considering that the cards are being tested on early drivers, they are indeed quite fast. Especially considering that the GPU that it is being compared to the most, the 1080ti, is sitting on two years of driver optimizations. The performance is only going to improve as the drivers mature.

I don't often say this, but the LTT video was kinda on point this time?
I did like his rant.

As I said in another thread, I cancelled my 2080 Ti preorder once I heard RT won't even be enabled until an October Windows update. I'll wait for the updates/reviews of RTX performance sometime at the end of this year once the matured drivers come out and RT/DLSS is enabled. As Linus said, everything seems rushed right now for no apparent reason. AMD doesn't have anything coming out in the very near future that even comes toe to toe with this.

The 30-40% boost in performance over my 1080 Ti is nice, but I want to know more before dropping $1200+ on a GPU.

Why even bother with the Nvidia pre orders at this point? If we have to wait until October or November for games to even have RT enabled then we may as well wait for EVGA custom boards to come out. Why have the reference cards when it doesn't get you anywhere?

Techpowerup said every card is power limited and I can’t find decent info on dlss which would be why I’d buy this card...

this only @4K right? because it only 20% increase @1080 from 1080ti to 2080ti

When I run 1080p on my 4k TV I jack the AA which would cause the difference to be larger again. If you do run 1080p you can still use DSR to use extra performance and incease IQ past what MSAA can do, ect.

What a joke, all the talk about how great RTX features are but they aren't ready to show them. Just have to believe them on how great it is, wow got a feeling some people are going to have some regret.

As I said in another thread, I cancelled my 2080 Ti preorder once I heard RT won't even be enabled until an October Windows update. I'll wait for the updates/reviews of RTX performance sometime at the end of this year once the matured drivers come out and RT/DLSS is enabled. As Linus said, everything seems rushed right now for no apparent reason. AMD doesn't have anything coming out in the very near future that even comes toe to toe with this.

The 30-40% boost in performance over my 1080 Ti is nice, but I want to know more before dropping $1200+ on a GPU.

I think it's rushed out because they will be pushing 7nm products next holiday season. Might as well make some money off of their 12nm custom node is what their thinking, IMO. Plus they get games out on the market that support DLSS and DXR. Next gen excels in those areas is my bet.

Nvidia is all about mindshare and RTX opens up a new area for them to dominate since the competition is absent there.

Why even bother with the Nvidia pre orders at this point? If we have to wait until October or November for games to even have RT enabled then we may as well wait for EVGA custom boards to come out. Why have the reference cards when it doesn't get you anywhere?

What a joke, all the talk about how great RTX features are but they aren't ready to show them. Just have to believe them on how great it is, wow got a feeling some people are going to have some regret.

What, don't you want to spend your sheckels on these amazing cards!? They run 1080p 1/2 resolution ray tracing! When it comes out. 30% faster though, it's not twice the price or anything!

To be honest this is a bit like the Vega launch, lot of talk about features and hardly anything works.

Unfortunately I'm thinking my hunch is going to be true. The 2070 will probably slot at 1080 or maybe right above. Which is fine and all, except by the time it comes out you'll probably be able to get a $300 (or less) 1080. The 2070 won't be worth that $200 premium over the 1080

Considering that the cards are being tested on early drivers, they are indeed quite fast. Especially considering that the GPU that it is being compared to the most, the 1080ti, is sitting on two years of driver optimizations. The performance is only going to improve as the drivers mature.

meh

personal opinion, i don't think we are going to see a miracle driver, performance will increase on a game by game basis for new games to come, but for current games, i think what it is is what it is

proof is in the pudding, never have found really really large differences over time

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/02/08/nvidia_video_card_driver_performance_review/

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/01/30/amd_video_card_driver_performance_review_fine_wine/

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/01/21/2012_nvidia_video_card_driver_performance_review/

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/02/18/2012_amd_video_card_driver_performance_review/1

meh

personal opinion, i don't think we are going to see a miracle driver, performance will increase on a game by game basis for new games to come, but for current games, i think what it is is what it is

proof is in the pudding, never have found really really large differences over time

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/02/08/nvidia_video_card_driver_performance_review/

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/01/30/amd_video_card_driver_performance_review_fine_wine/

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/01/21/2012_nvidia_video_card_driver_performance_review/

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/02/18/2012_amd_video_card_driver_performance_review/1

Shhhh, people need to cling to hope.

Spoiler Alert:

2080Ti = 30% gain in performance over 1080Ti
2080 = 1080Ti performance
Yep, I predict a mass cancellation of 2080 pre-orders... depending upon which review you look at, it's on par or a hair higher perf 1080Ti->2080. Doesn't even make sense for savvy gamers upgrading from lower cards since the price delta between 2080 (street price new ) to 1080Ti (street price used) is a large $250+ gap. Prices on new 1080Ti's have gone up recently, so there would be less reason to hestitate for people wanting to buy new when 2080 prices actually come back to reasonable MSRP levels. This will happen when nvidia and AIB's see 2080's start to pile up in warehouses. Patience will pay off for anyone wanting a 2080 at a reasonable price.

This doesn't take any of the new technologies into account. The lack of sufficient review content for RT and DLSS means that people won't have data to make the call when it comes to these features. Some of the reviews had DLSS benches and these looked very good. Not sure that it would be $250 worth of good in my mind without real game benchmark data.

What a poor showing.

If 2080 is the same performance as a 1080 ti (... over 18 months later...) and still costs more to boot, we're rewarding mediocrity at best (and at worst, we're playing into their greed).

Until ray tracing actually provides the cards some additional value (by, y'know, actually being in games), I wouldn't throw any more money at nvidia unless you don't already have 10-series cards.

What a poor showing.

If 2080 is the same performance as a 1080 ti (... over 18 months later...) and still costs more to boot, we're rewarding mediocrity at best (and at .

Until ray tracing actually provides some additional value (by, y'know, actually being in games), I wouldn't throw any money at nvidia unless you don't already have 10-series cards.

I dunno, you can go from a 1080 to 2080ti and that's roughly a 70% increase across the board at 1440p or higher

this only @4K right? because it only 20% increase @1080 from 1080ti to 2080ti

Yes, Bitwit found that the 2080 Ti was 9% faster at 1080p compared with the founders 1080 Ti. If you have a aftermarket 1080 ti and game at 1080p there is no point. At 1440P the gain from 1080 Ti to 2080 Ti is 25%... Still a terrible value at 75% more expensive but can be justified for people who have money to burn. GamersNexus found that basically an aftermarket 1080 Ti is indistinguishable in today's games from a 2080 at over $200 less.

I ended up buying a EVGA 1080 Ti on Ebay new for $600 (10% eBay bucks) and cancelled my 2080 preorder ($850). If DLSS is super magic sauce (I doubt it), I can always step up by the end of the year. The $67 eBay bucks will more than cover the shipping fee for stepping up.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Yep, nothing to see here. Keep using your 1080s and 1080tis till next gen and/or more RTX games will arrive. The only thing I really like was DLSS. And again, you need that as a feature supported by software. But in terms of conventional performance - rather disappointing compared to Pascal if you take into account the price tag. They even clock to the same levels and with about the same voltage as 1080 and 1080ti!

Yeah... honestly I am a huge fan of DLSS but I have mixed feelings about something that needs to be implemented. I was hoping more for 45% faster baseline.

Techpowerup said every card they tested was power limited... probably not enough to mod the card though but I see little data on it.

That said I hate SLI so I don’t want to do dual 1080tis....

They should have waited and done it right. They fucked up the launch like AMD usually does.

I'm almost ready to cancel my order for my 2080 RTX watching the Gamerz Nexus video and just stick with my trusty 1080ti. Do you think the drivers are mature enough for all the games that Nvidia released?

I'm almost ready to cancel my order for my 2080 RTX watching the Gamerz Nexus video and just stick with my trusty 1080ti. Do you think the drivers are mature enough for all the games that Nvidia released?

Sounds like everyone is saying there is no point to buying a 2080 if you already have a 1080ti.

Just cancel the 2080 and pre-order a 2080ti. I can guarantee that you're not getting a product refresh next year and AMD won't release anything to touch the performance of this for the next 2 years anyway.

Back