GTX1080 SLI on water runs 40c and 1911 boost clock - without afterburner

robble

Supreme [H]ardness
Exactly what the title says. I put EK waterblocks and backplates on my SLI founders editions and Heaven is reporting GPU clock speeds at 1911 and temp of 40c - after 45 minutes of looping. (benchmarks 72FPS 4K all ultra or extreme settings)

I've downloaded afterburner but haven't gotten a chance to try it yet. Frankly, with the performance I'm getting I don't think I need to overclock it. Witcher 3 @ 4k ultra settings is running 80+FPS most of the time.

Last edited:
Why would you use a water block and NOT overclock it?

Complete silence?

I do plan on overclocking just to see what it'll do but then I'll probably lower the clocks back down until I get a game that challenges the cards. I just haven't had/taken time to play around with overclocking them especially since I put the waterblocks on. What time I have had I've mostly spent playing Witcher 3.

Wow I wouldn't have imagined that nvidia would allow them to boost that high up on their own, pretty cool.

i wonder if they werent in SLI if it would be slightly higher? maybe reaching 2000 w/o touching anything w/ a single card?

Played a bit with afterburner tonight. Seems like +225/+400 (hw monitor said 2088/5400) is the most i can do without Heaven crashing.
Gives me 80fps 4k ultra/extreme settings. Pretty cool watching that benchmark run smoothly with extreme tesselation.

Complete silence?

I do plan on overclocking just to see what it'll do but then I'll probably lower the clocks back down until I get a game that challenges the cards. I just haven't had/taken time to play around with overclocking them especially since I put the waterblocks on. What time I have had I've mostly spent playing Witcher 3.

Aren't the radiators noisy though? My only experience is with CPU CLCs like the Corsair H100 or the EVGA Hybrid Titan X and Hybrid 980 Ti and both of those radiators were louder than the EVGA ACX fan on a fan curve (limiting it to 40%). Also I find the tubes would vibrate and transmit the energy through the case, so idle noise in my experience is considerably louder than air cooler due to increased case resonance plus the baseline radiator noise.

Aren't the radiators noisy though? My only experience is with CPU CLCs like the Corsair H100 or the EVGA Hybrid Titan X and Hybrid 980 Ti and both of those radiators were louder than the EVGA ACX fan on a fan curve (limiting it to 40%). Also I find the tubes would vibrate and transmit the energy through the case, so idle noise in my experience is considerably louder than air cooler due to increased case resonance plus the baseline radiator noise.

Side note (apology for thread de-rail), but Rads dont make noise. Of course, the fans can depending on the RPM you are running them at.

I have 3 x Rads in my PC, 360mm up top, 420mm in front, and 120mm in rear exhaust port. All are blackice slim stealth models, designed to be paired with low RPM fans. I run all my fans fixed as low as they will go, which is about 700 RPM. The PC is nearly dead silent (you can hear a tiny bit of wind in a dead quiet room). But you dont hear anything like vibrating tubes.

Here she is:

(SLI bridge isn't illuminated in last 2 pics because of when I snapped the pic)

Exactly what the title says. I put EK waterblocks and backplates on my SLI founders editions and Heaven is reporting GPU clock speeds at 1911 and temp of 40c - after 45 minutes of looping. (benchmarks 72FPS 4K all ultra or extreme settings)

I've downloaded afterburner but haven't gotten a chance to try it yet. Frankly, with the performance I'm getting I don't think I need to overclock it. Witcher 3 @ 4k ultra settings is running 80+FPS most of the time.
Great to hear it, I had a feeling water would help the boost clocks, great to see it reduce the need for OC while effectively letting the card OC itself

Heaven is known to +100 to the actual clockspeed. Make sure you always have Afterburner's OSD on to get the most accurate (and realtime) clockspeed reading.

Nope. damn near no noise at all. It's a custom setup with lots of low speed fans. skypine27 nailed it.

Screw Witcher 3 FPS

Whats your Firestrike Ultra score?
Witcher 3 framerates are much more important to me than firestrike scores and I'm not paying for ultra but here are the standard results:

Last edited:
Your cpu shows as a 6700k, but from the pictures it looks like you have an x99 motherboard

Good catch - almost. You may try having another look at who posted a rig photo in this thread.

My recent pictures (in other threads) have a Asus ROG Maximus VIII Formula in them.

Also look at the top of my score photo where it says "logged in as robble" ;)

Last edited:
Side note (apology for thread de-rail), but Rads dont make noise. Of course, the fans can depending on the RPM you are running them at.

I have 3 x Rads in my PC, 360mm up top, 420mm in front, and 120mm in rear exhaust port. All are blackice slim stealth models, designed to be paired with low RPM fans. I run all my fans fixed as low as they will go, which is about 700 RPM. The PC is nearly dead silent (you can hear a tiny bit of wind in a dead quiet room). But you dont hear anything like vibrating tubes.

Here she is:

Are those EK water blocks? I thought I had read on their site that you couldn't use the new SLI bridge with their full cover blocks.

Are those EK water blocks? I thought I had read on their site that you couldn't use the new SLI bridge with their full cover blocks.

True of Nvidia brand bridge - Nvidia made it so damn unnecessarily wide .. Can use led bridges or other 3rd party HT bridges once they are out. I'm using an evga led bridge right now. Will probably be the same for most water blocks.

Back