GTX Titan + X79 = PCI-E 3.0?

CrazyRob

[H]ard|Gawd
Has anyone seen/heard if the Titan's (and their drivers) will natively support pci-e 3.0 on x79, or are they in the same boat as the rest of the 600 series (unsupported, but nvidia offers a patch that's use at your own risk). I see many of the test platforms sent out were x79 based, but I haven't heard anyone state if this issue was resolved or not.

Sorry if I missed this, but I haven't been able to find any specifics on this.

I am using ASUS SABERTOOTH x79 + 3930K . Even tho Asus Claims this MB is 3.0 PCI-E but my Geforce 680 only works as 2.0 on this M/B.

I am using ASUS SABERTOOTH x79 + 3930K . Even tho Asus Claims this MB is 3.0 PCI-E but my Geforce 680 only works as 2.0 on this M/B.

Well, yeah. As I pointed out with the link above, Nvidia ran into issues with pci-e 3.0 on x79, so by default, 600 series cards run at 2.0 unless you use a patch to force 3.0. I was asking if anyone has heard if this was an issue with Titan and x79...

I personally haven't heard any news regarding Titan and PCIe 3.0 with a Titan. I'd gander to guess that only nVidia, partners and reviewers who have cards in testing would know that question.

Well, yeah. As I pointed out with the link above, Nvidia ran into issues with pci-e 3.0 on x79, so by default, 600 series cards run at 2.0 unless you use a patch to force 3.0. I was asking if anyone has heard if this was an issue with Titan and x79...

I would guess it will be the same situation as the 680 on x79. Nvidia said something about the x79 not being a proper PCIe 3.0, so there's probably no way the situation will change with a new NVidia gpu.

This is more of weird support with SB-E more than nvidia drivers (and yes I know that AMD supports 3.0 on SB-E).

Since i've got an ASrock board and PLX chips, I'm given PCI-E 3.0 out the gate, but I'm really waiting for IB-E for full PCI-E 3.0 support.

Just upgraded to 3x Titans (using 314.14 beta drivers) on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64...showing PCIe 2.0 via GPU-Z despite my ASUS P9X79 Pro (BIOS 3408) showing "GEN3" across the board. I will be trying that NVIDIA hack from the 6 series soon.

EDIT: and the hack works. More info on my experiences here: http://1pcent.com/?p=257.

(click to enlarge)

Last edited:
Sleep is fucked in Gen 3... on my Sabertooth X79, anyway. Switch to Gen 2 and sleep mode works correctly.

3820, 3930, 3960 and 3970 only support PCI-E 2.0...?

In NVIDIA land the answer is yes. AMD does support X79 PCIe 3.0. With NVIDIA, you have to use their "unsupported" fix. Then all is PCIe 3.0. I haven't had any problems since I activated it on Friday - been gaming all weekend.

Sleep is fucked in Gen 3... on my Sabertooth X79, anyway. Switch to Gen 2 and sleep mode works correctly.

Good to know. I don't use sleep, but if I see any issues I'll give that a look.

Did you notice any bump in perf going to 3.0?

*shrug* ... I might as well try it too :)

Did you notice any bump in perf going to 3.0?

*shrug* ... I might as well try it too :)

I've been playing this game since the 680s...there's a minimal bump at least with the 680s. I did not "notice" it per se with the Titans but that's because I did it before I really played any games. I just refuse to run PCIe 2.0 with these on X79. It doesn't make sense. The hack is pretty solid. If you're using NV Surround - a word of advice: disable SLI, disconnect all monitors, then run the fix and boot into your OS with one monitor. This fixed any hangups I had...after that process you can reconnect and reenable everything and be golden. YMMV.

@sk3tch: our systems are very close :)

yep.. 3.0 now.. but what is odd is the middle card in SLI is x8. The other two are x16. Are you seeing that too?

I had 3 7970s in this system before and they all had x16 - so it most likely isn't a mobo hardware limit.

Last edited:
I used the patch as well. Running just fine at pci-e 3.0.

@zurv Your middle card is x8 because the Rampage IV is only capable of running 2 cards at x16.

really? good to know. thanks. I must have been misread something when the 7970 were in there. Thanks for the heads up Naieve!

@sk3tch: our systems are very close :)

yep.. 3.0 now.. but what is odd is the middle card in SLI is x8. The other two are x16. Are you seeing that too?

I had 3 7970s in this system before and they all had x16 - so it most likely isn't a mobo hardware limit.

Yeah, my P9X79 Pro has all three at x8. Advantage to you with the RIVE. I should use my RIVE in this build but I'm not sure if it will fit in the CM Scout 2. :)

Hey, thanks for the feedback, especially to sk3tch. I'm upgrading a friend/client's computer to 3 way sli Titan's as well, and I'm finding similar results. Unfortunately, the highest resolution display option I have in my office to test with is 3 1280x1024 lcd's in surround, but even testing with that, I'm seeing a 12-22% (depending on settings) performance increase in Heaven 4.0 by enabling pci-e 3.0. I'm a bit hesitant using unoficial tweaks like nvidia's tool on someone else's computer, but it seems pretty stable so I think we'll run with it.

My Titans are all running at Gen 3 speeds now that I switched my EVGA Classy X79 for the Rampage IV Formula.

Guyz,

Built a new system with Asus Z97 mobo and am having only GPU in 1st slot and rest every slot is empty.... Done every possible BIOS Settings with latest/old AMD Drivers but my card Runs @ PCIE 3.0 x8 under full load, same like above users pic sk3tch.

Is it a bad mobo OR GPU issue ?

PS: Using Sapphire 7870

Guyz,

Built a new system with Asus Z97 mobo and am having only GPU in 1st slot and rest every slot is empty.... Done every possible BIOS Settings with latest/old AMD Drivers but my card Runs @ PCIE 3.0 x8 under full load, same like above users pic sk3tch.

Is it a bad mobo OR GPU issue ?

PS: Using Sapphire 7870

It's hard to tell without being able to test with other parts. Damaged pci-e slots or connectors can cause the number of lanes to reduce. This could be on either the card or motherboard.

FYI, this thread was about x79, not z97. You might try looking into other threads about motherboards with your chipset for more info, or start your own thread.

Back