GTX titan paired with FX 8350

dinlee23

Gawd
hey guys im planning on a major upgrade this summer probably in a months time i was wondering if its smart to pair a titan with a 8350. This computer is mainly for gaming only, although i do a little bit of programming and audio recording too but mainly i just game :D.

im doing this cause i want to keep the budget at around $2300-2500 for a complete system a ssd is optional but i would want to fit a 250gb ssd just for games.

any suggestions?

im not sure what your asking? would the 8350 bottle neck a titan? nope. Not at all. and also figured id mention, My friend has a titan, i have a 780. Most games at 1920x1080 is 2-3 fps. Id get a 780 unless your going big resolutions where the 6gb RAM take into action.

edit #2: ALSO if your planning on going just 3x1920x1080 (5760x1080) a 780 would still hold up just fine. just maybe have to reduce AA and stuff slightly.

yeah mainly bottleneck i was thinking that the 8350 would somehow limit the titan

What's wrong with your 2500K? It's in your sig, so I'm merely assuming that's what you have now.

Gotcha! Well in that case, an 8350 is a great budget choice that is more than capable of handling anything you could throw at it, especially if paired with a stout GPU.

Gotcha! Well in that case, an 8350 is a great budget choice that is more than capable of handling anything you could throw at it, especially if paired with a stout GPU.

cant agree more.

The only bad thing about the 8530 is the higher power draw, but it is quite a bit cheaper.

Depends on the game and settings and scene. The 8350 can be definitely quite a bit slower than the 2500K. I would not pair it with a Titan. If one can spend 1000 bucks on a gfx card, one can spend 200-300 on the best gaming CPU.

im not sure what your asking? would the 8350 bottle neck a titan? nope. Not at all. and also figured id mention, My friend has a titan, i have a 780. Most games at 1920x1080 is 2-3 fps. Id get a 780 unless your going big resolutions where the 6gb RAM take into action.

edit #2: ALSO if your planning on going just 3x1920x1080 (5760x1080) a 780 would still hold up just fine. just maybe have to reduce AA and stuff slightly.
sorry but an 8350 would hold a Titan back overall. as boxleitnerb mentioned, it comes down to the game and settings. in a game like Skyrim an 8350 cant even average 60 fps while a 4770k or even a 2500k would blow it away.

Last edited:
I'm really confused. Why would you opt for an 8350 with a Titan when you can get a GTX 780 with a complete 4770k upgrade for less money?

Completely confused. As well, you can buy a Z87 motherboard with a 4670k from newegg *right now* for a mere 300 bucks or so. I can't see an 8350 setup being much cheaper just for the CPU and board alone.

I'm really confused. Why would you opt for an 8350 with a Titan when you can get a GTX 780 with a complete 4770k upgrade for less money?

Completely confused.
yeah a 4770k and 780 will easily beat an 8350 and Titan overall. and when both the Titan and a non reference 780 are oced they are basically even overall as the titan will hit its TDP wall sooner anyway.

you cant oc that 8350 high enough to ever beat that 2500k at 4.7.

i decided on a 780/4770k combo thanks guys. saw the benchmarks and the superclocked edition is so close to the titan thats its a no brainer.

yeah a 4770k and 780 will easily beat an 8350 and Titan overall. and when both the Titan and a non reference 780 are oced they are basically even overall as the titan will hit its TDP wall sooner anyway.

you cant oc that 8350 high enough to ever beat that 2500k at 4.7.

This is what I was going to suggest. The Titan is hardly faster than the GTX780, though an Intel i5 or i7 would be a bigger performance improvement over the 780 to Titan. I would opt for an i7 since you seem to do some audio editing.

I paired my geforce titan with a Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition and it has no bottleneck.

Take that as you will.

Don't give me stupid remarks I had a reason to do it anything else would not suit my 3d rendering needs.

I paired my geforce titan with a Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition and it has no bottleneck.

Take that as you will.

Don't give me stupid remarks I had a reason to do it anything else would not suit my 3d rendering needs.

Don't give you stupid remarks to your stupid subtle brag post? Sure thing.

i decided on a 780/4770k combo thanks guys. saw the benchmarks and the superclocked edition is so close to the titan thats its a no brainer.

Upgrading 2500K@4,7 to play haswell OC lottery seems like not the most efficient use of money.

If you really want 8 threads maybe look for deal on i7 Ivy Bridge ?

Upgrading 2500K@4,7 to play haswell OC lottery seems like not the most efficient use of money.

If you really want 8 threads maybe look for deal on i7 Ivy Bridge ?

You should probably read all of the thread, because it was previously covered that the OP no longer has the system in his sig. ;)

Don't give you stupid remarks to your stupid subtle brag post? Sure thing.

Actually It was a hidden put down on how much AMD cpus suck balls and the huge mistake he is making pairing such a suck ass AMD CPU with a Titan or 780 and not using at least a 6 core intel i7 CPU with it. but if you want to be insecure

take that what you will

Last edited:
sorry but an 8350 would hold a Titan back overall. as boxleitnerb mentioned, it comes down to the game and settings. in a game like Skyrim an 8350 cant even average 60 fps while a 4770k or even a 2500k would blow it away.

In skyrim, woopty doo. There are a LOT of games that a 8350 sticks around with intel chips that cost considerably more. I'm just saying that in real world settings the 8350 would be fine, especially if op oc's that biatch. They are relatively easy to oc.

In skyrim, woopty doo. There are a LOT of games that a 8350 sticks around with intel chips that cost considerably more. I'm just saying that in real world settings the 8350 would be fine, especially if op oc's that biatch. They are relatively easy to oc.
It is a woopty doo when you are paring a freaking $1000 gpu with a cpu that cant even stay above 60 fps in one of the most popular games that many people put tons of hours into. you can try and defend that 8350 all you want but the i7 is the better choice if using a high end gpu and thats a fact. and ocing that 8350 just to try and match a stock i7 while using a lot more power is not a selling feature to most. the op made the best overall choice based on his situation so its done.

Last edited:
Well in actuality if you enable multithreading in Skyrim, you gain a ton of fps on the AMD FX series. With that said, Skyrim coding is bad and shouldn't be used as a gauge of processor power.

Well in actuality if you enable multithreading in Skyrim, you gain a ton of fps on the AMD FX series. With that said, Skyrim coding is bad and shouldn't be used as a gauge of processor power.

You don't measure cpus in best case scenario - in best case scenario most cpus today will provide 60 fps.

It's the bad/old/inefficient/super demanding code that needs brute power aproach.

Well, I compared my 8350 and 2600k with identical cards(Radeon 7930) and ran them at identical resolutions, and they ran darn near identically. I really like the 8350, and for the price AMD is asking it's a fantastic chip. I don't think you'll be bottlenecked...

Well, I compared my 8350 and 2600k with identical cards(Radeon 7930) and ran them at identical resolutions, and they ran darn near identically. I really like the 8350, and for the price AMD is asking it's a fantastic chip. I don't think you'll be bottlenecked...

Exactly, I like both amd and intel tbh but in real world gaming scenarios the amd's can hold their own. Like I said before ESPECIALLY meaning IF HE DECIDED TO OC. I'd hope to god a chip that costs over 100 dollars more can perform better.

Back