GTX or New GTS

However I mention EVGA because his friend GTX is an EVGA and that he could do a step up if his date is not up. Also he could step up to the new EVGA GTS if later on he does not want the GTX. His friend GTX offers him so many options and is the best bang for the buck for that price.

Can you register for step-up if you buy it from somebody else? Or only if you buy it retail - I thought you needed an invoice/sales receipt to register for step-up.

The GTX is old, but it isn't exactly like there is anything that is a lot better out there at the moment.

Can you register for step-up if you buy it from somebody else? Or only if you buy it retail - I thought you needed an invoice/sales receipt to register for step-up.

You do, but since it was his friend, I'm sure they are good friends or he wouldn't sell it to him for $350. His friend can register it and keep the invoice/receipt. Later down the line if he step up his friend can do it for him or use his name.

Also he could sell the GTX later if he does not want it for the same price he paid for it if not more. Not a bad deal I would think.

I have a question that could help make the decision, and I haven't run across an answer. Will the card be used for media - HD content? Does the GTS have the same benefits that the newer 8600 series has for encoding content? If I was to use the card for more than games - then I would consider the GTS - IF it has the encoding capability of the 8600 series.

I bought an 8600 GTS a couple months back because it was the fastest card I could find that could offload the media encoding from my e6600. (I was going to get an 8800 with 320 ram for my media box)

Just a thought -

And yes, my 8600 gts is a poor excuse for a midrange card - for playing games - but seems like good choice for a media pc.

well umgill45 i never recommended either, i have a gtx, thats what i have experience with, and i simply implied that it works for me and some positives of it, so dont judge before you understand that, to me, heat really isnt an issue but i have a proper case for the components, really if you had to ask i would probably say go for the gts since he said nothing about 3 way sli or uber resolutions. and like i said the speed difference between the two will probably not be noticeable unless the op runs a frame counter so i wouldnt base the decision on that, but really this is a win win situation, hell i paid 550 for my gtx

If the OP doesn't plan on 3-Way SLI and doesn't need super high resolutions or higher levels of AA and AF at say 1920x1200 or higher, then the 8800GTS 512MB is probably the way to go if for no other reason than cost alone.

I would recommend the 8800gts 512 for the near performance to the 8800gtx, lower power draw and lower buy cost to you. Plus you will have a PCI express 2 card to keep up the computer to date! ;)

GTX pwnz the GTS. Still. I'd glaaaaadly trade my two GTS' for 2 GTX'. $350 is a steal.

well umgill45 i never recommended either, i have a gtx, thats what i have experience with, and i simply implied that it works for me and some positives of it, so dont judge before you understand that, to me, heat really isnt an issue but i have a proper case for the components, really if you had to ask i would probably say go for the gts since he said nothing about 3 way sli or uber resolutions. and like i said the speed difference between the two will probably not be noticeable unless the op runs a frame counter so i wouldnt base the decision on that, but really this is a win win situation, hell i paid 550 for my gtx

I'm not judging you bud. I'm not here to pass out decisions and what not. What i am doing is trying to get some posters in this thread to make sense of what they post. and not like 1 word answer like some have already posted. If you favor a particular card good but there should be a reason. Theres already a couple of ppl who've posted 1-word answers.

so dont judge before you understand that,heat really isnt an issue but i have a proper case for the components

Read my post again the part where I say a reviewer like SKYTML has used 5 or 6 cards side by side with constant parameters. If you've used the GTX good man; i respect that it's a nice card but I'm posting results from some1 who has used multiple cards in the same environment for a fair comparison. If you think my reply is personal u're wrong cos I got nothing against you. In fact you atleast gave a reason as to why you favor the GTX.

Help your friend out and go with the GTX, you'd save what, maybe 20 bucks on a gts?

I haven't made the decision just yet. With the holidays just past, my friend and I haven't had time to discuss the deal until now.

I think you hit the nail on the head though. I asked the question because the one thing that sticks out in my mind is the G92 improvements over the G80. In some cases, newer isn't always better but this may be that exception. If it performs equally, for the most part, runs cooler and uses less power, the GTS is the clear winner for the price. Or is it?

See, that's the dilemma because had I not been offered this deal, I wouldn't even be considering a GTX at the normal price of $400+. I would have already bought the GTS, no questions asked. I just wanted to be sure that I was looking at every angle on both cards before making the purchase.....make sure I wasn't missing something in the decision. I don't get to upgrade often and this has to last me a while. Not only that but I'm a long time ATI buyer and have little experience with Nvidia. This will be my first green card since the 4600Ti.

I do appreciate everyone chiming in though. I got to see a side of things I normally wouldn't have considered. Again, upgrades don't come often in my house and I may have taken the purchase decision a little to serious. I just wanted the best bang for that $350 so that it can carry me through the year until the next complete rebuild.

Yeh I'm in the same boat as you. The system you see in my sig....well I'm not gonna do a complete build until Nehalem is out and they've switched to the LGA715 or socket(which is probably in a years time). I have however just upgraded my v.card (the one in the sig.) to a GTS G92 and I'm fairly confident that'll be the card to beat at least until the D9E's are out (and trust me they ain't gonna be cheap). I have a review here wher ethe person compares the card to the GT but no GTX ( I think its the best looking review site ever! IMO):

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/nvidia8800gts/conclusion.php

If you can ~$375 on one of these babies (they are overclocked and will OUTPERFORM the GTX I assure you especially the ASUS TOP edition. I know I would buy that one if i had the dough. Otherwise go with a new evga GTS if you like to step-up. Or if you want to sell the card after a year and have the warranty transfered over you can even choose a XFX alpha edition one retails for ~$365US on NCIXUS and $319CDN on ncix.com plus a free copy of CoH

After much consideration, I went with the GTS. Thanks again everyone for a thorough discussion on the topic. I truly appreciate it! Some of you will no doubt see the decision as a dumb move....I can respect that. I didn't discount what was being said about the GTX. I just saw the refresh on the GTS as the deal breaker on the two cards. For me, it made sense once it was hashed out in this thread.

The end result no matter what choice I made = thrilled with the performance coming from a 1950XT!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143119

thats good, im clear now, you should love the card, regardless of which one you chose it should be a night and day difference, glad to hear your happy with it

You'll like the GTS no doubt. You'll find in your overclocking and benchmarking that the card is starving for memory bandwidth. That's why the GTX shines.

Back