GTX 980 Ti Hybrid SLI or Single 1080

shadow2761

Limp Gawd
What do you guys rekon, keep my SLi EVGA 98O Ti Hybrids, or sell and get a single GTX 1080 such as the Extreme Gaming edition?

Keep the hybrids. One overclocked 980ti is pretty close to a stock 1080 anyways, let alone 2 of them. If you want a single card to replace them, wait for the 1080ti or the pascal titan.

Yea I was thinking that, just getting inpatient waiting that's all lol.
Stay strong, brother. I saw Newegg had the Gigabyte XTREME Gaming GTX 1080 in stock this morning and was considering it for a few seconds... Rumor has it that we'll hear more about big Pascal at Gamescom next month. Maybe even a launch? :D

Yea I was thinking that, just getting inpatient waiting that's all lol.
if you're getting impatient this early you're gonna have a bad time. 1080 Ti won't be out for at least 6 months. the Pascal Titan might be out some time this year. good luck.

Yea, hard choice. Knowing my luck, if I buy the 1080 in the next few weeks, the Ti will come out a week after lol.

I agree, stay strong and my brother. Hahaha, I'm in half your boat with a single 980TI hybrid running with the Acer X34. AAA games run between 50-80 but man this is when G-Sync just really shines. I've been tempted to go dual hybrids but for sure waiting out for 1080TI which is absolutely perfect for the screen along with reduced SLI issues.

One of your cards is pretty close to a stock 1080 and you've got two.

This is the exact opposite of a hard choice. It is so easy in fact, this thread shouldn't even exist.

A 980 Ti @ 1500/8000 matches a stock 1080.

Unless you care for paltry 15% gains, it's pretty much a no-brainer that you should keep your current cards.

Ok I you guys have convinced me. Its just alot of reviews I have been looking at seem to show 2 stock GTX 980 Ti being almost matched by a single GTX 1080

Ok I you guys have convinced me. Its just alot of reviews I have been looking at seem to show 2 stock GTX 980 Ti being almost matched by a single GTX 1080
Can u link the reviews. I'm interested in reading them.

This is one of the most difficult questions of out time, one which historians will still ponder for millenia.

I'd normally say go with the single fastest solution in almost every situation. This may be an exception, however, since even in cases where SLI support is bad or not there and you need to disable a card a single 980 ti still does the job. That said, you should really look at the games you're playing and what SLI support they have to make the final decision.

I do know, coming from a 295x2 which is one of the best mGPU solutions out there, I'm much happier with a single 1080. I now just play games instead of spending time tweaking profiles and waiting for updated game support. In my many forays with both SLI amd Crossfire, I've found you really need to factor in time and frustration into the equation (not just overall performance and support) when deciding.

I have not seen a single review showing this level of performance from a 1080, at least not on games that actually scale with SLI. I'd like to read it too if it's out there.

The one exception could be in a VR scenario where the 10xx series hold a significant advantage compared to their Maxwell counterparts.

Please link the review so I can add it to my "sites I'll never visit and will tell other people to stay away from" list. :D

The only possible scenarios where I can think of this being true is if

a) they used reference 980 Ti at bone stock settings and
b) they used a game with poor SLI scaling (<50%)

I think it's damn hard to not consider a 980ti right now. You can pick one up at bargain bin prices of $360-400 straight from EVGA or on Newegg. It's so competitive that I think there's no better bargain than the 980ti, bar none.

980ti SLI > Single GTX1080 , keep it til Ti Out , no point to upgrade if you already have 2.

Certainly if you OC a GTX 1080 to 2.1 GHz it'll be about as fast as two reference 980 Tis running stock clocks (1075MHz) and being thermally bound.

But two GTX 980s in SLI overclocked is also faster than base clock 980 Ti SLI. You have to compare apples to apples.

I would keep 980Ti for now and save for next upgrade when there is something worth upgrading comes out.
However, getting single 1080 over 980TI SLI surely saves electricity. thats a plus for sure.

I would keep 980Ti for now and save for next upgrade when there is something worth upgrading comes out.
However, getting single 1080 over 980TI SLI surely saves electricity. thats a plus for sure.

If you're able to Step Up the 980 Ti Hybrid for free + S/H then I would consider it since that is what i did. But, if you can't then yes, I would save the $ until the Ti's or Titan's (if you can afford) come out.

Well I was thinking of selling both of my GTX 980 Ti Hybrids and getting 2x GTX 1080s OR just get another GTX 980 Ti Hybrid for 3-way SLi. Since the GTX 980 Ti Hybrids are cheap now.

Then when the GTX 1080 Ti comes out I can sell all 3 hybrids.

What do you guys rekon? 3way GTX 980 Ti or 2way GTX 1080?

Well I was thinking of selling both of my GTX 980 Ti Hybrids and getting 2x GTX 1080s OR just get another GTX 980 Ti Hybrid for 3-way SLi. Since the GTX 980 Ti Hybrids are cheap now.

Then when the GTX 1080 Ti comes out I can sell all 3 hybrids.

What do you guys rekon? 3way GTX 980 Ti or 2way GTX 1080?

2x1080, that's an easy one.

Battlefield 1 Alpha already exceeds 6GB RAM when running higher than 1080p resolutions. I'm actually glad I got rid of my 980 ti, because its future is bleak.

Definitely keep the SLI 980 Ti's. Obviously in all games that support SLI you will embarrass the 1080 even when overclock to 2100Mhz. Even when there are games that don't support SLI you won't be missing out on much.

Battlefield 1 Alpha already exceeds 6GB RAM when running higher than 1080p resolutions. I'm actually glad I got rid of my 980 ti, because its future is bleak.

Bleak? That's adorable.

So we've got what, 2 titles ever that exceed 6GB below 4K, and suddenly 6GB isn't enough. Yeah. No.

Guess the guys hoping to run 1440p with "mainstream" setups are screwed, then.

Get a custom bios to get them to run 1.27v and OC them to 1530+ and hold off till 1080Ti. My single hybrid does great at 4k

In your shoes, I'd probably skip Pascal altogether.

But since it's your money, not mine - sell your Maxwell cards and buy 1080s. Then in a month or two, once the new Titan X is for sale, sell your 1080s and buy two.

What monitor are you driving and what are you playing?

Nah definatly not going pascal Titan, but will do on the 1080Ti.

Playing Witcher 3 atm 4K mostly max settings, and some gfx mods. Struggles sometimes even with 2 Hybrids.

Definitely one 1080. More energy efficiency and less bugs when having a two setup VGA.

Back