GTX 980 Ti: 4k easier on games?

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a MSI GTX 980 Ti. Recently I upgraded to a 4k monitor, the BenQ BL3201PT, which has a 3840x2160 resolution. My old monitor was an HP 3065LP, which had a resolution of 2560x1600.

I noticed an odd trend playing games at 4k resolution on the new monitor: games seems to run smoother. I tried Fallout 4, Shadow Warrior (2013), and COD: Black Ops III. The computer seems to have much less of a hard time rendering and keeping things smooth.

What gives? Can't be placebo effect, as the effect is quite noticeable. The refresh rates on the monitors are both 60Hz, and I run with all details maxed out. Only thing that has changed is the monitor.

Could be the response time on the newer monitor... almost twice as fast. From the specs: 4ms on the BenQ vs 8ms on HP.

Last edited:
Could be the response time on the newer monitor... almost twice as fast. From the specs: 4ms on the BenQ vs 7ms on Dell.

You mean HP? :-D

HP Pavilion LP3065C Monitor - Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

According to the specs in that link: 12 ms (8 ms average gray to gray).

So would response time really make the difference in making the whole experience seem faster/smoother? I can see now that the new monitor is 3 times as fast in response time (2 times as fast for gray-to-gray).

Yup , typo on my part, fixed now. Meant to say HP.

Not sure if that's the only factor, but I'd hazzard to guess that it it would be contributing to making it feel faster/smoother...

Back