GTX 980 or GTX 970 ?

Hi there

I am new here, or have been a guest user for many years.

I need some advices on buying a new video card.

I have 3 monitors running 2560x1440 and my current video card, a GeForce GTS 450, can't handle that.

So i have been looking for a new video card, but i can't decide with one to buy, because there is so many to choose between. I have nail it down to 2 cards, both from MSI:
the frist one GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC
the second one GeForce GTX 980 4GD5 V1

(I can't link to MSI's page due to the forum rules,so i have attached the direct links ;))

One of the reason why i I have nail it down to these is because i need minimum 3 DisplayPorts

What do i need it for ? well I don't game that much (because lack of time and i always get owned by the other gamers), if I game, it is usually some old games like GTA Vice City but I do have newer games like Alien isolation and GTA V (still unpacked). I do mostly some Full HD video editing and other minor graphical stuff or else i am just in a terminal (y)

My currently hardware spec is:
- Intel® Core i7-950
- 6GB DDR3 1600MHz
- Corsair TX 750W PSU
- Gainward GeForce GTS 450 1GB

There is around 215 USD between the two card here in my country

My question is, what card would you buy if you where me (if any of these) ?

Best regards
Benjamin

Attachments

• links.txt
    172 bytes · Views: 52
I used a 970 to run 3 x 1440p displays. If you arent gaming it will be more than enough.

I run a 970 at 1440p and I can't complain. GTA5 runs great; tweaked a few settings and I stay pretty close to 60fps at all times and the game still looks pretty amazing. The extra $200 might not be worth it for the 980 if you don't game that much. Seems most people are going either 970 or 980ti these days anyway. FWIW I have the MSI 970 Gaming 4G, damn quietest card I've ever owned and barely even gets warm. Good luck

I run a single GTX 970 with a i5 6600K & it's more than enough for me at the moment. Purchasing the GTX 970 was a step I was going to take anyways since I am set to purchase the flagship next generation AMD or Nvidia part once they release. Whichever one tends to perform better for 4K gaming. That is an option you can look at as well.

Hi there

I am new here, or have been a guest user for many years.

I need some advices on buying a new video card.

I have 3 monitors running 2560x1440 and my current video card, a GeForce GTS 450, can't handle that.

So i have been looking for a new video card, but i can't decide with one to buy, because there is so many to choose between. I have nail it down to 2 cards, both from MSI:
the frist one GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC
the second one GeForce GTX 980 4GD5 V1

(I can't link to MSI's page due to the forum rules,so i have attached the direct links ;))

One of the reason why i I have nail it down to these is because i need minimum 3 DisplayPorts

What do i need it for ? well I don't game that much (because lack of time and i always get owned by the other gamers), if I game, it is usually some old games like GTA Vice City but I do have newer games like Alien isolation and GTA V (still unpacked). I do mostly some Full HD video editing and other minor graphical stuff or else i am just in a terminal (y)

My currently hardware spec is:
- Intel® Core i7-950
- 6GB DDR3 1600MHz
- Corsair TX 750W PSU
- Gainward GeForce GTS 450 1GB

There is around 215 USD between the two card here in my country

My question is, what card would you buy if you where me (if any of these) ?

Best regards
Benjamin
Maybe find yourself an older Titan?

Thanks for your response, i was 70% convinced that i should go with the 970 and your responses gave me the last 30%, i have this evening ordered it :)

Maybe find yourself an older Titan?

The thought has crossed my mind, but there isn't much sale in used hardware here, so it will be hard to find

Back