GTX 980 May Lose The Performance Crown To AMD’s R9 380X in February 2015

Well, I hope the date is wrong. AMD will likely suffer if they have to go through the entire holiday season with last year's Hawaii cards.

ibtUXj68sonTJE.gif
@ 390X possibly going against Titan bracket. But I hope they have something in store for the holidays, if not only a crazy sale.

February?! Who cares what happens in february!!

Let's see... R9 390X & Adaptive-Sync monitors available at the same time? YES! :D

That may well be the signal that it's time to retire my Crossfire R9 280x cards!

As for the wait... wonder if that may be caused by the rumors of AMD being in the new 5K iMacs coming soon and either production capacity maxed out, or Apple demanding an exclusivity window. One thing is pretty much for sure, Apple will not want a hot & power hungry GPU in their next iMac boxes, something new maybe?

The GTX 780 Ti was released 6 months after the GTX 780, and two weeks after the release of the 290X.

4 months is an eternity in this industry...

Not really. The difference has usually been around 4-6 months between Nvidia/AMD release cycles keeping things constantly interesting. Would be kind of boring if they both dropped cards at the same time every generation anyways. Well, it would be great for consumers, but not great for either company.

If they are dropping something in Q1 2015 we'd have to assume it's a completely new architecture on 20nm. That could be well worth it. I doubt Nvidia will drop any Maxwell refresh until Q4 earliest on 20nm. If they score a huge performance gain over what is already laughable with the 900 Series they would be in a great position. I really don't give a crap if the GTX 980 Ti is 50% faster than a GTX 780 Ti if it's going to be in the $650+ bullshit range. Of course it will be a win if AMD doesn't have an answer to what is already commonly speculated. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that a 980 Ti has enough die space for a good 30% improvement.

4 months is nothing if the new cards are decidedly better.

because that means that they can balloon up their prices against the 980/970

I don't know but 970 is a really good bang for the buck. It will be really hard to beat this kind of value.

my 290 sits just fine where it sits.
the 970 is interesting for the power draw efficiency to some extent but performance?
die shrink is needed

Isn't the 980 Nvidia's mid? I'm pretty sure they're going to release the 980 Ti by February. Four months is quite long.

Isn't the 980 Nvidia's mid? I'm pretty sure they're going to release the 980 Ti by February. Four months is quite long.

Rumors are saying end of this year possibly. As far as I'm concerned the GK104 and GM204 are high-end chips. They are being marketed and sold as high-end so they are Nvidia's highest end chip. Just because we know deep down inside it really isn't shouldn't change things. If they want to play that game then so be it and for a high-end chip/card it sucks.

The power draw is already a myth that many people don't want to admit. Toms, Linus, and a few others have already shown how it actually can eat up more power than a 780/780 Ti for both 900 cards. Nothing more than voodoo clocking when you're not running them 100% for long periods.

my dream: free-sync / g-sync 4k projector + Cheap 390x/970/980 :D

On topic, Feb? AMD is behind on this one :p more so due to the power saving, TBH if the 980 was a 250W TDP card, I wouldn't be as impressed as I am now with it. commmmmmon AMD! :p

The power draw is already a myth that many people don't want to admit. Toms, Linus, and a few others have already shown how it actually can eat up more power than a 780/780 Ti for both 900 cards. Nothing more than voodoo clocking when you're not running them 100% for long periods.

Yes, the power draw is an excellent marketing coup for nvidia. How Tom figured this out I don't know, but well done for them. (or who tipped them off)

It's said to use the stack memory and 20nm .. Nvidia may be behind the ball on the stack memory part and may not be able to counter that part of AMD 's cards.

yes, yes AMD, yes!

nvidiots were so happy thinking they pulled a fast one, sure they release their new architecture before amd, but whatever, they released basically a twin turbo 6, amd is about to release a supercharged v8, so nvidia is about to get wrecked

Toms, Linus, and a few others have already shown how it actually can eat up more power than a 780/780 Ti for both 900 cards.
"Can" being the operative word. During highly-synthetic workloads, they can consume more power than their predecessors. During typical real-world workloads, they can draw half as much power, on average, than their competitor's parts, but what's more useful to state is that, on average, they do.

Even during the gaming tests they spiked waaaayyyy over the stated TDP.

Personally, i could care less.

Spikes do not contribute meaningfully to an IC's thermal design power. As such, caring less is probably a good idea, but not caring at all is a better one.

LOL...by the time February 2015 rolls around Nvidia will be prepping (or have already released) the Titan 2 or 980 Ti...AMD seems to fallen back to the old days when they were always a day late and a dollar short...I guess now their GPU's have matched their CPU's

I for one won't be buying this but hopefully the release means cheaper r9s. Would go great for my budget builds.

LOL...by the time February 2015 rolls around Nvidia will be prepping (or have already released) the Titan 2 or 980 Ti...AMD seems to fallen back to the old days when they were always a day late and a dollar short...I guess now their GPU's have matched their CPU's
Supposedly the 390X would be the competitor to those, not the 380X.

Terrible planning if they let Nvidia run through the holiday season unapposed.

Is the holiday season really a factor with video cards? PCs in general maybe, and for mid range gaming builds, maybe, but I don't know if $600 video cards are really concerned with the holiday craze. I'd even think feb would be better. People spend money on kids/family in december and have enough leftover cash come feb to buy their own goodies (or kids that play saved their holiday cash?). Not arguing as I have NO evidence, I'm just throwing the thought out there.

AMD gets to simple the HBM first because they help design it and the 380/390x is built around this design so it take more time building a gpu of it's type being first and all..

Nvidia has to wait till 2016 before they have access to HBM so they will be a day late and a dollar short.

AMD gets to simple the HBM first because they help design it and the 380/390x is built around this design so it take more time building a gpu of it's type being first and all..

Nvidia has to wait till 2016 before they have access to HBM so they will be a day late and a dollar short.

good to know...looking forward to AMD users beta testing the kinks from HBM memory before Nvidia adopts it ;)

Yep, bet you 980 TI will be released to take out AMD 380x

As much as I love AMD I've to admit that they dropped the ball on this one.

The 970's price-to-performance will really be tough to beat - we'll need to wait till Feb to see how all of this unfolds.

Meh... February seems like a while away. But manufacturing on a new node seems exciting and has a lot of room for improvement, because the industry has been stuck on 28nm for way too long.

The 970's price-to-performance will really be tough to beat - we'll need to wait till Feb to see how all of this unfolds.

que? price performance is amds turf,

Yes indeed - that is why it baffles me - 7950/290 are all prime examples of that!
What is AMD going to do now!

Well if AMD isn't concerned why would I be - as a well-wisher I wish them the best.

yes, yes AMD, yes!

nvidiots were so happy thinking they pulled a fast one, sure they release their new architecture before amd, but whatever, they released basically a twin turbo 6, amd is about to release a supercharged v8, so nvidia is about to get wrecked

Keep in mind NVidia still has 20nm/16nm Maxwell on the horizon, as well as the potential for higher VRAM and/or Ti versions of current 970 and 980, maybe even with a wider memory bus. And don't forget about a dual GPU offering. Plus the Titan2.

bro calm down, amd will cut prices and in february, we have new cards thar will pillage nvidia

See my response above. I (really, really) hope that AMDs upcoming 380X/390X is going to be an absolute performance monster and priced at, or even a little lower than, the latest NVidia offerings. It's going to be nice to get first and second tier performers for a hell of a lot less than what we've seen from both companies these past few GPU generations. :cool:

It depends on how you look at it as the new cards pushed used prices down with new buyers dumping there old hardware which makes those used cards have better price to performance .. now Sli 770GTX or CX280X is very affordable at $400 or less and would crush the 970GTX in performance .

Back