GTX 980 K|NGP|N $499.99 [EVGA Store]

Sexy card. Found memories of my 780ti KP. Works of art....

Last edited:
damn that is a good price.. it's only got a single DVI on it though.. Sooner rather than later I am going to have to upgrade my surround displays to something with DP.

Nothing good about this deal considering you can get a lot more performance for a little more money

Nothing good about this deal considering you can get a lot more performance for a little more money

This is a very good price for the ultimate GTX 980.

BTW, the reference 980 Ti is $150 more which is not a little difference.

^^ that. It's the bad ass mothership of 980s. As far as the deal goes - it gets hotter the more you plan on and enjoy pushing the card to it's limits.

This is a very good price for the ultimate GTX 980.

BTW, the reference 980 Ti is $150 more which is not a little difference.
The 980 Ti is over 30% faster and only costs 30% more and comes with a game you can sell so the 980 Ti is actually the better deal.

The 980 Ti is over 30% faster and only costs 30% more and comes with a game you can sell so the 980 Ti is actually the better deal.

Hum... no.
While the 980 Ti is 30% faster than the 980 reference, the 980 Kingpin is around 15% faster than the 980 reference.

At $499, the 980 Kingpin is good value.

Hum... no.
While the 980 Ti is 30% faster than the 980 reference, the 980 Kingpin is around 15% faster than the 980 reference.

At $499, the 980 Kingpin is good value.
Oh good freaking grief do you think someone getting a 980 Ti is not going to overclock it? So bottom line is that a 980 Ti will be over 35% faster when both are oced thus making it a better value overall.

It's sad how $500 is a "great deal" on todays gpu market.. :eek:

KINGPIN is really more of an enthusiast/bragging rights line though, with binning (cherrypicked silicon), epic heatsinks and power components, so its not really marketed toward bargain hunters or peasants.

KINGPIN is really more of an enthusiast/bragging rights line though, with binning (cherrypicked silicon), epic heatsinks and power components, so its not really marketed toward bargain hunters or peasants.

I never understood how anyone could brag with a non-flagship card. When a slightly OC'd GTX980TI would make just about any kingpin GTX980 irrelevant, no matter how far you push it lol

It's sad how $500 is a "great deal" on todays gpu market.. :eek:

Yeah, remember when AMD's top of the line 4870 was $300 and was equal or faster than nVidia's $450 #2 in the line GTX260, and today AMD's top of the line Fury-X is $650 the same price as nVidia's #2 in the line GTX980 Ti which it performs about equal to. Extrapolating the 4870 to today, with inflation, the Fury-X is about $150 overpriced.

Thanks OP, just picked up one for my collection! Always wanted to own one and could never find a used unit for sale.

Edit: haters gonna hate

Thanks OP, just picked up one for my collection! Always wanted to own one and could never find a used unit for sale.

The 980's price is in free fall right now.
They're close to $450 on Newegg. so I guess this is less of a 'super sale' and more of just an okay price.

If I were in the market for a 980 today I would definitely go with this one, however.

Haters gonna hate? How old are you? All anyone is saying is that the 980 Ti is a better deal for the money than this card so its really not that hot of a deal at this point.

I always had my doubt, but after seeing Vince's review, it's pretty obvious to note that most of these beastly cards with a million phases and thick cooling solutions are quite a waste of money when talking performance per watt.

Vince mentions himself that Maxwell's don't really scale with voltage, above 1.275V on air and I believe he said even when going sub zero, and that it all depends on binned chips.

And the numbers that he gives are going above 1500 Mhz would be to a minimum, obviously with his product too.

In all, I don't know why would anyone buy this card to any reference card, regardless of the price, if you just wanna create more heat in the room and spend more on the electric bill.

I always had my doubt, but after seeing Vince's review, it's pretty obvious to note that most of these beastly cards with a million phases and thick cooling solutions are quite a waste of money when talking performance per watt.

Vince mentions himself that Maxwell's don't really scale with voltage, above 1.275V on air and I believe he said even when going sub zero, and that it all depends on binned chips.

And the numbers that he gives are going above 1500 Mhz would be to a minimum, obviously with his product too.

In all, I don't know why would anyone buy this card to any reference card, regardless of the price, if you just wanna create more heat in the room and spend more on the electric bill.
Um the 980 and especially 980 Ti non reference cards are much better than the reference versions. They can oc better with their higher TDPs and/or higher power limits and hold those higher clocks at lower temps with less noise. It is stupid to buy the reference card thinking it will give the same overall experience.

Um the 980 and especially 980 Ti non reference cards are much better than the reference versions. They can oc better with their higher TDPs and/or higher power limits and hold those higher clocks at lower temps with less noise. It is stupid to buy the reference card thinking it will give the same overall experience.

TDP's can be altered via software, most of us already know that.

OC'ing depends on how well binned the chip is, then comes the power delivery. It's a hit and miss.

Less noise? Yea but but how much? Lower temps?, nah, not really. When you have something like 10 phases on a custrom card, compared to the reference 5 phase one, the overall temps pretty tend end up being close to each other, and this holds true more to the G1 cards as their VRM's are also cooled by the same heatsink, compared to lets say EVGA's ACX series.

If you wanna see a real temp/noise reduction, you go custom water.

And I also speak with a little personal experience from owning both sides that you're better off with reference in the long.

The only literal catch is that they may not use the same power delivery components as they do in custom cards as can be seen in Gigabyte and MSI.

TDP's can be altered via software, most of us already know that.

OC'ing depends on how well binned the chip is, then comes the power delivery. It's a hit and miss.

Less noise? Yea but but how much? Lower temps?, nah, not really. When you have something like 10 phases on a custrom card, compared to the reference 5 phase one, the overall temps pretty tend end up being close to each other, and this holds true more to the G1 cards as their VRM's are also cooled by the same heatsink, compared to lets say EVGA's ACX series.

If you wanna see a real temp/noise reduction, you go custom water.

And I also speak with a little personal experience from owning both sides that you're better off with reference in the long.

The only literal catch is that they may not use the same power delivery components as they do in custom cards as can be see in Gigabyte and MSI.
Not really lower temps? Sorry but that is flat out nonsense and shows you should not even be arguing about this topic. A non reference 980 like the MSI Gaming card runs in the freaking 60s even when oced while the reference card runs at 80-81 even at stock. Overclock the already louder reference card and you have an even nosier card that needs the fan cranked to keep temps in check. And that oced non reference card will be running clocks than the reference cards can not even attain. And as for the reference 980 Ti, it is a fucking joke compared to what can be achieved on the non reference 980 Ti cards. Anyone can look at reviews to see that but I also have used all the cards I just mentioned and know first hand. You have to be out of your mind to claim a reference 980 or 980 Ti can attain the same stable clocks and noise and temp levels of the non reference cards.

Water cooling has nothing to do with anything being said as that is a whole other topic.

Last edited:
This is no longer the world where the term 'reference' only means 'blower' type cards.

These days, reference usually only means using a reference/stock PCB (where the power connectors are identical). A reference card with custom cooling solutions, we have plenty of those.

Just by saying that, I can really see how much you know, lol.

This is no longer the world where the term 'reference' only means 'blower' type cards.

These days, reference usually only means using a reference/stock PCB (where the power connectors are identical). A reference card with custom cooling solutions, we have plenty of those.

Just by saying that, I can really see how much you know, lol.
Yes because clearly I don't know of any cards such as the ACX cards that use reference boards but non reference coolers. :rolleyes:

Maybe learn how to be clear with what you are trying to say as you know damn well what people think of when they say reference cards. And based on what you were saying earlier, it appears you are just trying to use that as an excuse now anyway.

I never understood how anyone could brag with a non-flagship card. When a slightly OC'd GTX980TI would make just about any kingpin GTX980 irrelevant, no matter how far you push it lol

Had 980 KPE @ 1600 core and 980 Ti (reference) @ 1550 core. 980 Ti ~28% better on Fire Strike IIRC.

Man when did this become [S}oftOCP. Why would you want to pay a bunch more money for a factory overclocked card when you can just overclock it yourself, I mean you change the bios to just about anything you want these days which can unlock hidden potential in the card. These cards are made for people that don't know how to overclock or are just scared too. No matter what your still just hoping to get lucky to get a chip that can overclock quite a bit.

This is why I am ready to pay a little more (G1 980 Ti is 6% more expensive than reference) for a non-reference model:
1) Custom layout (resulting in higher oc)
2) Possible GPU binning
3) More performant cooler
4) Faster out-of-the-box

My G1 980 Ti at 1550Mhz thanks you for your attention. ;)

Man when did this become [S}oftOCP. Why would you want to pay a bunch more money for a factory overclocked card when you can just overclock it yourself, I mean you change the bios to just about anything you want these days which can unlock hidden potential in the card. These cards are made for people that don't know how to overclock or are just scared too. No matter what your still just hoping to get lucky to get a chip that can overclock quite a bit.

This logic no longer applies.

Wow, that's just completely wrong. These cards are made for benchmarking, specifically under DICE/LN2 (custom PCB with tons of phases for better/more power delivery, fully unlocked voltage, probes for measuring core/mem/PEX voltage via DMMs, etc.). A custom BIOS can only get you so far for certain cards (e.g. Titan X voltage locked to 1.275v that requires physically modding the card to get past).

This is why I am ready to pay a little more (G1 980 Ti is 6% more expensive than reference) for a non-reference model:
1) Custom layout (resulting in higher oc)
2) Possible GPU binning
3) More performant cooler
4) Faster out-of-the-box

My G1 980 Ti at 1550Mhz thanks you for your attention. ;)

Custom PCB layout doesn't generally result in higher OC with Maxwell unless you're below ambient. My reference 980 Ti cards benchmark at 1550 as well (1540 core for gaming). See: http://forums.evga.com/STATEMENT-BY...LE-WITH-VOLTAGE-NO-MATTER-BRAND-m2362059.aspx

Can I just say the length of your username messes with the site's UI and it's very annoying?
I'm replying to clear your name from my subscription list (lol).

Not sure that the link provided above is fully credible.

For instance, the OP thinks that ASIC is meaningful for predicting OC potential while there are many examples that prove otherwise.
By the way, Kyle from [H] also suspects that ASIC is rubbish for oc.

The only way to demonstrate whether non-reference design is useful or not is by collecting sufficient data. While not a robust approach, 980 ti non-reference cards tend to oc more than reference based on my readings of reviews and forums.

Peasants? LOL
I can buy 4 of these and do quad SLI if I choose to right now, but I got better things to waste my money on, so I guess I'm one of the peasants ;)

Back