GTX 980/970 and ESXI

davewolfs

Limp Gawd
Hi folks,

Hoping that one of you can comment on the compatibility of either of these boards with pass through on an ESXI system. Is this possible? If so are there any limitations?

I could be wrong but I think the only thing that works with GPU passthrough on ESXI are Quadro cards and AMD GPUs.

Those are for vGPU/vDGA setups. You can always try directpath, but YMMV.

You will get Code 43 issues. Your best bet is to use KVM. From there, you can get stock GTX cards to work without code 43 by eliminating HyperV extensions within KVM as well as hiding the hypervisor from the OS. The next level is you patch qemu to allow you to modify the PCIe Device and Vendor IDs. RIght now my GTX 760 is a Quadro K5000, loaded Quadro drivers, improved performance by 20% in some benchmarks.

You will get Code 43 issues. Your best bet is to use KVM. From there, you can get stock GTX cards to work without code 43 by eliminating HyperV extensions within KVM as well as hiding the hypervisor from the OS. The next level is you patch qemu to allow you to modify the PCIe Device and Vendor IDs. RIght now my GTX 760 is a Quadro K5000, loaded Quadro drivers, improved performance by 20% in some benchmarks.

Was waiting for someone to confirm that.

Well OP I do have a guide here you might find handy.

Guide: GPU Passthrough Using KVM + LVM2 + Ubuntu Gnome - From Beginning to End

The latest versions of Ubuntu have what you need without patching. I just redid my setup to include Fedora. I wanted to test out a different BIOS to see if I could get increased performance. So far so good.

How did you convert gtx760 into K5000?

ah. Yep saw that thread before. Don't think i can do it. are these available for sale?

Some people may be selling their services on that forum and other hardware/graphic card forums. I haven't honestly looked.

good luck!

Or you could just run KVM for free and not take a chance at bricking the card by removing or changing resistors.

http://vfio.blogspot.com/

And if you wanted to change your 970/980 into a Quadro, you can apply a patch to the QEMU packages in which you can specify the Device ID you want the VM to see. Right now my GTX 760 is actually Quadro K5000.

Last edited:
Then in answer to your OP, you cannot pass through a GTX 9 Series card to a VM. It will have to be a more expensive Quadro card which officially support Visualization

Back