GTX 980 8GB versions?

xXaNaXx

Gawd
anyone have any info on when these are coming out?

i'm RMA'ing my GTX 970 due to the 3.5GB issues, and want to go up to a GTX 980, but i'd much rather have an 8GB card vs. a 4GB card. if they're coming out within the next 2 - 4 weeks, i can probably wait, but i don't want to end up waiting months for it to come out.

The last few articles I read about said March and Q1 2015, I don't see either happening. This is just my speculation I think they come out probably during the fall. From the leaks I've seen it looks like the 980 TI is going to have 6GB half of the titan X 12GB. I think that will probably come around not long after the 390X which is going to have 8GB.

If you can't wait a GTX 980 is probably the best option. There is the R9 290X with 8GB, but with the 390X around the corner its probably worth waiting to see the price of the 390X.

I'm a similar boat, I'm looking to get a new video card. I was going to pull the trigger on a GTX 970 a few weeks ago, but the 3.5GB did make rethink it. The R9 290X with 8GB looked appealing before the 390X leaks came out. So I'm back to playing the waiting game again.

The rumored 780Ti 6GB modeled never arrived. Look to Titan X for all your large vram needs.

I think the Titan X is going to be a dual card. So really 6GB x 2, with whatever DX 12 does to reduce texture/memory duplication.

Would be nice if it is 12gb total though.

I'd like to even see a 980 with 6gb.

Titan X is a single GPU card, there are already pictures of it out there.

A GTX 980 has to be either 4GB or 8GB as the next step up in order to maintain full access to the entirety of storage. With a 6GB configuration you would have 2GB of memory not accessible at full speed.

While in this line: What are the chances of Titan XX, a dual GPU card, arriving? Typically the top-of-the-heap chip like the one in TiX made also to a dual GPU card. If this is going to happen how long might be the time lag between the Titan X launch and Titan XX showing up? Titan XX would be the 24GB card, like the K80 compute card.

I think the Titan X is going to be a dual card. So really 6GB x 2, with whatever DX 12 does to reduce texture/memory duplication.

Would be nice if it is 12gb total though.

I'd like to even see a 980 with 6gb.

You're not going to see that, it has to be a multiple of 4, the 980 has 4 memory controllers.

Titan X is a single GPU card, there are already pictures of it out there.

A GTX 980 has to be either 4GB or 8GB as the next step up in order to maintain full access to the entirety of storage. With a 6GB configuration you would have 2GB of memory not accessible at full speed.

Depends on if NVidia increases the memory bus width. Jumping up to a 384bit bus would mean that 6GB would likely be the minimum they would slap on a "980 Ti". But I think they would keep it at 256bit so that it is still further separated from their even-flaggier-flagship-Vaseline-included-with-price Titan X.

You're not going to see that, it has to be a multiple of 4, the 980 has 4 memory controllers.

Technically, they could do 1GB+512MB per channel full speed. Nobody has ever shipped a card like that though, that I am aware of.

980 really doesn't have the bandwidth for 8GB anywho.

Put on your flame suit!
Vdobdpg.gif

Put on your flame suit!
Vdobdpg.gif

lol. I love the guy under the chair.

People can flame all they want, but you can't change facts. Have fun pushing 8GB over a 224 GB/s bus. It just isn't enough even with a 30-40% compression, unless you're ok with 30-40 FPS max.

It aint gonna happen. If they are going to release a 980TI with 6gb you can bet your ass they wont release an 8gb variant of a 980. Nvidia is not about that VRAM life.

Back