GTX 970 incompatible with Win10?

Oniigumo

Limp Gawd
Finally getting around to upgrading to 10 from 7. After using the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft's website, I get a notification that my 970 and the integrated graphics (that I dont use, Intel HD 4600) are incompatible with windows 10. I'll link a screenshot, but I have a hard time believing the 970 would be unsupported by 10 already.
gtx970.jpg

Should I be worried at all? Upgrading because the Odyssey+ dropped to 299 again, and damn it I just can't help myself.. But it needs the upgrade to 10 for me to use it, so I can't pull the trigger until I get this system updated.

EDIT: Should add, it's a MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G, same card as reviewed here back in '14.

Last edited:
No problems with a 970 on Windows 10 here. Could be driver version related? Other thing could be the BIOS on the card if it's detecting something to do with UEFI support. Maybe check and update that if available?

The 970 is compatible, the issue is with the 4600.

I recently upgraded a laptop from 7 to 10 for a customer, and first tried the upgrade like you did. The plan was to have the digital activation so I could later clean install, but it had the Intel GPU compatibility issue like you are seeing. I ended up pulling the product key from the OEM sticker and doing a clean install. It accepted the 7 key and activated 10. You don't have the issues like this when you clean install, it was my only way around the issue.

I tried a few methods to disable the compatibility check but couldn't get anything to work. I'm not saying one doesn't exist, I just couldn't find one that worked.

I have my win 7 key ready to go if I end up needing to do a clean install, but I'd prefer not to. I don't actually use the integrated at all (nothing is connected to it's port, nothing ever has or will be), I just didn't bother to disable it in the BIOS. I'm gonna think on it for a bit, but I'll most likely just give it a go and hope for the best. Worst comes to worst and I'll hop on one of my other computers and prep for a clean install. Just gives me the creeps seeing it list my gpu as incompatible.

I have my win 7 key ready to go if I end up needing to do a clean install, but I'd prefer not to. I don't actually use the integrated at all (nothing is connected to it's port, nothing ever has or will be), I just didn't bother to disable it in the BIOS. I'm gonna think on it for a bit, but I'll most likely just give it a go and hope for the best. Worst comes to worst and I'll hop on one of my other computers and prep for a clean install. Just gives me the creeps seeing it list my gpu as incompatible.
I was on a laptop so I didn't try disabling the iGPU in bios since it needs it for basic usage. Since you are on a desktop you could try disabling it and it shouldn't be a problem, then run the upgrade again.

yup its the 4600 triggering it. ive got a system here in the house running win10 and a 970 no prob.
also, the warning about the 4600 is bs anyway. ive got a half-dozen dell laptops with 3000 igpus and it said the same thing but they all work fine.

yup its the 4600 triggering it. ive got a system here in the house running win10 and a 970 no prob.
also, the warning about the 4600 is bs anyway. ive got a half-dozen dell laptops with 3000 igpus and it said the same thing but they all work fine.
Yeah, absolutely. Intel says there is no driver for many of those older GPU's on 10, but there's a built in driver that works just fine. It happened with 7 too, there were some iGPU's that had no driver available for 7 yet you could download one for them through Device Manager.

what happens if you ignore that warning and try to continue with the upgrade?...will it not let you continue?

what happens if you ignore that warning and try to continue with the upgrade?...will it not let you continue?
Oh, you just click confirm on each box and then the refresh button turns into a continue button. I ended up ignoring the warning and continuing on as-is, worked just fine.

Why not just install the Win8 driver for the IGP?
I probs coulda, but it wasn't a big deal if the IGP gave me issues, I would have just disabled it in the bios and wrote it off. Pretty sure it ended up installing generic drivers for it, no biggy.

Why not just install the Win8 driver for the IGP?
I don't think that would have worked. The GPU was installed for him on 7. The issue was the hardware itself is not listed as compatible with 10, regardless of driver.

That said, there are drivers built into windows for many of these incompatible devices.

That's just a compatibility check for the drivers. That being said, compatibility can be easily verified by downloading your system drivers ahead of time. That's always a good idea, especially for your network drivers, so you have them after the install. I'm not a fan of upgrade installs, but at least you would be covered for the necessities.

Back