GTX 970/980 specs @ Techpowerup, plus 3dmark gpu-score leaks... Neo: "Woah."

I prefer nvidia myself, but i'd like nothing more than to see some new chip from amd wipe the floor with gtx 980 and get this shit back on track. Just to put an end to this midrange first bullshit. Well, one can dream...

I prefer nvidia myself, but i'd like nothing more than to see some new chip from amd wipe the floor with gtx 980 and get this shit back on track. Just to put an end to this midrange first bullshit. Well, one can dream...

Oh AMD can 'easily' do it, even tomorrow if they wanted to, but its TDP would be 3x that of the 980.

Nvidia.sh: Syntax error in function price(), line 1: unknown keyword `drops'
Did NVIDIA not drop the price of the 780 by $150? Did they not just drop the price on the 760? Like, two days ago "just"?

Did NVIDIA not drop the price of the 780 by $150? Did they not just drop the price on the 760? Like, two days ago "just"?
NVIDIA? I don't think so. But retailers dropped the price on certain models of 780Ti to clear stock before the 980 was released.

Those were rhetorical questions. They did actually cut the 780 by $150 and just cut the price on the 760.

First and foremost, both GeForce GTX 780 and GeForce GTX 770 are getting price cuts, effective tomorrow (October 29th). GTX 780 will be reduced by $150 to $499, and meanwhile GTX 770 will be getting smaller $70 trim, bringing the price of that card down to $329.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7465/...-gtx-780770-price-cuts-gtx-780-ti-launch-date

NVIDIA also tweaked pricing of its GeForce GTX 760 performance-segment graphics card, which now starts at $219.
http://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/2...-ti-gtx-780-gtx-770-cuts-gtx-760-pricing.html

Figured I'd leave this here... someone else's card with 110% power limit maximum. You can actually see his clocks dipping a bit from hitting the power limiter :eek:, imagine once we get some custom BIOS on these things once a new nvflash is present and ready :D!

Just shy of 14000 gpu score...

Og07xAN.jpg

I have to live vicariously until thursday when my new pair of 970 cards arrive (msi gaming ones this time :p).

what's the point of the cards with an 8 pin connector when even at max power limit they can't come anywhere close to using that much power?

LOL Goldentiger remember when the leak had a supposedly overclocked GTX 980 scoring much less showing only better than 86% of the results :D

what's the point of the cards with an 8 pin connector when even at max power limit they can't come anywhere close to using that much power?

BIOS unlocks!!! LOL seriously though, it does help provide better and stabler power delivery even with the default BIOS.

LOL Goldentiger remember when the leak had a supposedly overclocked GTX 980 scoring much less showing only better than 86% of the results :D

Mmmm-hmmm.... ;). It was a pretty hilarious time period, to me at least, seeing people react to that as gospel. :p

i wonder how far you could push maxwell with no power limit...

man, all these non-reference coolers are so ugly compared to last gen. they look like something you'd find in a happy meal.

Last edited:
Got my 980 SC in last night... man did that turn out to be a pain in the ass. Apparently, it didn't play well with my MB's BIOS. Well, what should have been a simple BIOS update turned into a huge project when the BIOS update failed. Took about 2 hours to get everything fully functional after getting the card. At least it's going now, and I can game on my TV again.

Didn't see anybody talking about this article yet today..

MSI Holding Off on GTX 980 Lightning, in Anticipation of Bigger Chip

Don't blame them, we all know something more is coming as GM200 ship manifests of A1 samples started floating around dated a few months after the GM204 ones. I would be utterly unsurprised to see an even bigger maxwell 2.0 in mid-late January or early February. Granted, however, that's another 4-5 months yet and it will surely be even pricier.

Since it looks like tomorrow aint shit for AMD, Any clue when the MSI 980 G4 gaming video card coming out?

Not interested in just a normal stock 980 with a fake titan cooler on it.

Since it looks like tomorrow aint shit for AMD, Any clue when the MSI 980 G4 gaming video card coming out?

The best info I have heard is that they were a few weeks behind the Maxwell 2.0 launch. That would pin them as in vendors' hands arouuuuuund.... probably the week of October 6th, for purchase, if I were a betting man.

Don't blame them, we all know something more is coming as GM200 ship manifests of A1 samples started floating around dated a few months after the GM204 ones. I would be utterly unsurprised to see an even bigger maxwell 2.0 in mid-late January or early February. Granted, however, that's another 4-5 months yet and it will surely be even pricier.

Could be pricier, or it could be the reason why the 980 is a $220 difference from the 970 with laughable performance differences. They could be recouping money for the full GM200 chip to retail at $549 pushing the 980 down to its more appropriate $429.

That's only in the case that AMD has something to force that to happen. If nothing happens significantly from AMD they'll use the GM200 to push a premium tag of $649-$749, possibly even $999 depending on performance like the Titan. Later they'll do exactly what they did with the 700 Series and push the 680 down and well you know how that all went.

Don't blame them one bit. The worst kept secret was the GK110 and GM200/210. We all know what Nvidia is pushing historically wasn't their top end chip. Just because a chip did better than expected doesn't somehow make it your high-end product. At the end of the day someone is going to get burned and nobody wants to be holding the baggage.

Lol, it was known amd wasn't going to announce anything radeon related (new cards). Just some random tidbit that was hyped up by the internet.

2 weeks at the earliest for custom 980's. The 980 classified might get released early oct to mid october.

Lol, it was known amd wasn't going to announce anything radeon related (new cards). Just some random tidbit that was hyped up by the internet.

2 weeks at the earliest for custom 980's. The 980 classified might get released early oct to mid october.

Yea I honestly not sure if I want to go EVGA. I actually love the products, Just that rivatuner bullshit, and now lazy 970 coolers. Just rubs me the wrong way.

I might have no choice since there is no lightning model coming.

I'm keeping my eyes on it, though I highly doubt evga will botch the classified. 780 and ti classified were great, great cards (voltage unlocked, overbuilt pcbs, etc).

Why are you so dismissive of the "fake titan cooler"? Has anyone does a test comparing the two as far as heat removal capability versus fan speed and noise? I can't imagine one big heat pipe is that much more effective than three smaller ones. Keep in mind the Titan has a 52% higher TDP than the 980.

Last edited:
Why are you so dismissive of the "fake titan cooler"? Has anyone does a test comparing the two as far as heat removal capability versus fan speed and noise? I can't imagine one big heat pipe is that much more effective than three smaller ones. Keep in mind the Titan has a 52% higher TDP than the 980.

This is easily one of the best reference coolers I have ever seen. People forget the 480 so easily, it wasn't that long ago that is was melting the inside of peoples computers. This is a really impressive reference cooler if you ask me

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/8

However in one of the only major deviations from the earlier GTX Titan cooler, at the base NVIDIA has dropped the vapor chamber design for a simpler (and admittedly less effective) heatpipe design that uses a trio of heatpipes to transfer heat from the GPU to the heatsink. In the case of the GTX Titan and other GK110 cards a vapor chamber was deemed necessary due to the GPU’s 250W TDP, but with GM204’s much lower 165W TDP, the advanced performance of the vapor chamber should not be necessary. We would of course like to see a vapor chamber here anyhow, but we admittedly can’t fault NVIDIA for going without it on such a low TDP part

I would of gladly paid more for a full Titan heatsink, Just my 0.02c.

In related news, WCCFTech is reporting a new leak/rumor with Q4'14 release..

Nvidia ‘Big Daddy’ Maxwell GM200 GPU Alleged Specs Leaked – GTX 980 Ti or GTX Titan X?

• Die Size: 551mm^2
  • SMMs/CUDA Cores: 20-22/ 2560-2816
  • Memory Bus: 384 Bit
  • Performance: ~50% Boost over GTX Titan Black
  • Launch: Q4 2014
Now, the publication mentions that the professional and gaming equivalents will release together and there is a chance that Nvidia will keep the GM200 GPU for the professional space only. In such a case a “Geforce GTX 990″ is expected rocking two GM204 Cores.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see that Tych-0 already posted about this in another thread.. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1835013

Last edited:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/8

However in one of the only major deviations from the earlier GTX Titan cooler, at the base NVIDIA has dropped the vapor chamber design for a simpler (and admittedly less effective) heatpipe design that uses a trio of heatpipes to transfer heat from the GPU to the heatsink. In the case of the GTX Titan and other GK110 cards a vapor chamber was deemed necessary due to the GPU’s 250W TDP, but with GM204’s much lower 165W TDP, the advanced performance of the vapor chamber should not be necessary. We would of course like to see a vapor chamber here anyhow, but we admittedly can’t fault NVIDIA for going without it on such a low TDP part

I would of gladly paid more for a full Titan heatsink, Just my 0.02c.
That doesn't answer my question as to how much worse the 980 cooler is. It's different, yes, but we don't have any data to quantify it. You can't just dismiss it as terrible without something to back it up.

Is there some review of the evga superclocked?
I'm curious to see how much it improves over the reference card.

I know that the improvement is minimal but is there a reviews with this card?

Is there some review of the evga superclocked?
I'm curious to see how much it improves over the reference card.

I know that the improvement is minimal but is there a reviews with this card?
It is nothing more than the reference card with slightly higher clocks that you could easily achieve yourself.

Back