GTX 970/980 specs @ Techpowerup, plus 3dmark gpu-score leaks... Neo: "Woah."

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-official-msrp-299-nonreference-models-retail-329349/
Bear in mind, I don't take most of the stuff they post seriously, but interesting nonetheless.

New rumor - 970 at $299-329, 980 at $449-499.

http://videocardz.com/52399/nvidia-...close-first-look-at-reference-geforce-gtx-970

WhyCry from VideoCardz in the comments says that sounds like absolute bullshit to him. So once more, we are back at nothing learned and nothing lost from yesterday.

WhyCry also just said today that if WCCFTech posts anything *without* the rumor tag, then their info is accurate. And I don't see any rumor tag on the new WCCFTech article, so.. reasonably priced Maxwell 2.0 for all? ;)

EDIT: WCCF just updated their article with higher pricing.. $300 for 970, $550+ for 980 :(

Anyone see any new 970 leaks that don't have humungous dual-fan oversized coolers on them? Those goofy STRIX and Twin Frozr coolers, and even the reference Titan cooler just seem way too big for a card with that small of a PCB.

Last edited:
The launch price of the 780 was $649.99. It dropped to $499.99 after the Ti was released
Those prices sound out of whack. I got a reference model GTX 780 for $600 a couple weeks after launch, and I didn't really see any 780's going for $499 immediately after the 780 Ti launched (they're only just-now dropping below $499 on Amazon for reference models).

If you bought at $650, then you were pretty darn impatient :p

It was also well-known that there was more of the GK110 that hadn't been unlocked yet. Another card with more SMX units unlocked should have come as no surprise.

IMHO high end reference cards should be sold at 500USD, I can tolerate to see them at 500€ because euro is now stronger than USD but 650 or 700usd for a single reference card is an idiot price.

The issue (well concern/question mark) with 970/980 pricing is that this time around GM204 is the "lead" card with what will almost certainly be a following AMD card relatively shortly behind (surely within 6 months, most likely less given current information). This brings added uncertainty to the value of the pricing. This would be the reverse situation with Tahiti/GK104.

At a $600 MSRP launch point I think it is very likely that you are paying a premium to be first in this case, and it would be very likely that an AMD release would have a significant impact on the value of the 980. Being the later product, combined with a higher transistor, die size, and power budget I think it's likely the AMD part will be faster than GM204. There is also the possibility of it being priced lower if they hold at the $550 launch price for flagships. Even at $500 I would find the value risky at this point without waiting for the AMD followup.

As for GM200 I don't think this should necessarily let you affect a GM204 purchase from a value perspective. If GM200 releases in a vacuum it will be priced accordingly and unlikely to significantly depress the value of GM204 (given the length of time to release).

We don't know what AMD will release. For all we know 390X might be rebranded higher clocked 290X with water cooler.

It's true we don't know that's why I stated the issue was "uncertainty."

With GK104s release and AMDs responsive product stack shuffling basically both sides had revealed but they had (at least for the immediate future).

In this case we know AMD has some type of release in the immediate near future, so there is a lot of uncertainty in how GM204 (depending on it's price) will hold up with that release. At $600 I would say it's very risky that it holds it's value, so be prepared to understand you're likely paying a premium to get in fast. By comparison at say $450 I think it would lean much more towards the likely side of holding it's value with AMDs release.

We don't know what AMD will release. For all we know 390X might be rebranded higher clocked 290X with water cooler.

We know that Fiji is coming by Q1 '15, will be ~550mm2 and should be faster than these initial GM204.

Last edited:
Cheaper then expected think I'll plop down for a 980 GTX instead of the 970 GTX not that I will noticed the difference look forward to the Frames per second benchmarks. Thought they would be more efficient though.

We know that Fiji is coming by Q1 '15, will be ~550mm2 and should be faster than these initial GM204.

Now I would love it, if Fiji could be the first 20nm card and have that kind of die size :drool:

Just imagining +5k shaders, 96-128 ROPs and around 300 TMUs breathed to life with 512bit memory bus with compression (or maybe even with HBM) and +1Ghz core clock speed has a mouth watering effect on me. Cooling might be a bit problematic without AIO watercooling :D

Not gonna happen though :(

even if it was possible amd or nvidia would never release a chip like that
obviously is far better profits wise to release gimped chips and force a steadier upgrade cycle

that kind of gpu could last you years, intel is doing the same since sandy

I thought the problem was Apple gobbled up all the 20nm fab capacity for its iPhone 6, which is essentially why 980 is on the old node. This 990 is not going to be top dog for very long.

Hm, if true $299 GTX970 is hard to resist... SLI for 600 bucks even more... Tri-SLI... i better stop dreaming. I'm not used to this Nvidia, what's the reason? This is going to put some pressure on AMD big time, if true. One more day...

Dammit Tiger, this is the kind of news you need to know if it's true or not :D
j/k

Hm, if true $299 GTX970 is hard to resist... SLI for 600 bucks even more... Tri-SLI... i better stop dreaming. I'm not used to this Nvidia, what's the reason? This is going to put some pressure on AMD big time, if true. One more day...

j/k

Yeah if the price is true I'll be considering Tri-SLI 970s vs SLI 980s.. lol

IMHO high end reference cards should be sold at 500USD, I can tolerate to see them at 500€ because euro is now stronger than USD but 650 or 700usd for a single reference card is an idiot price.

I couldn't agree more.

So many idiots with absolutely zero willpower just conceded and started buying them at this price years ago and now everyone just assumes it is standard and keeps paying through the nose.

Lots of 970 pictures and not many 980's. I'm hoping for an MSI 980. Hopefully this isn't confirmation that the reports of 980's being in short supply initially.

j/k

If they do sell them at that price I am definitely getting one.

j/k

Yeah I'd buy 2 at that price ASAP

If 970 = 780ti speeds at $300 ? Who wouldn't buy it? It then also appeals to bang/buck gamers because that's huge bang for 280X bucks.

If 970 = 780ti speeds at $300 ? Who wouldn't buy it? It then also appeals to bang/buck gamers because that's huge bang for 280X bucks.

Everything i've seen puts the 970 trading blows with a 780, not a 780 Ti. Still damn good performance out of a $300 card if true, but not 780 Ti territory.

I know, i know... something is definitely off here. Gap between 980 and 970 is too big and there is nothing in between as of right now. Pricing is not right with one of them, now which one, that's the question...

No way. It doesn't make economic sense for it to be that cheap.

It also doesn't make sense for the 980 to be so expensive at $599 ($200+ above the 970).

Don't see why they just can't stick with $300/$400/$500 for the 960/970/980 reference versions.. add up to $50 more for AIB versions.

Though rumor has it that there may be a 970Ti, which could slot in at $500 right between the 970 for $400 and the 980 for $600. Gotta love the rumor mill.. they just don't quit :D

EDIT: Oh crap, and I forgot about the 4GB and 8GB variations. No way a 4GB 980 could go for $600.. how much would that make the 8GB 980?? Maybe it's just the 8GB that's gonna be $600, and the 4GB will be under $500?

Is there any kind of confirmed release date or NDA drop?

I've heard today, the 18th, and the 19th. I've seen in the comments to some of these leaks on VC people counting down the hours to something. Do they know something I missed?

It's happening!

u9NESsm.jpg

EDIT: Holy shit, that price tag sez $519.00!! Not US currency, I hope :eek:

u2w8Udi.jpg

Last edited:
Based on what I've been seeing from NDA countdowns it looks like it's lifting tonight at Midnight, but in BST time zone. So maybe 7:00PM EST? Odd to see a company base something on midnight in Europe, it's almost always PST but I'm not complaining. We'll find out soon.

If the 970 is actually $519 USD like that picture says Nvidia has officially lost it's freaking mind.......

Are MSI GPUs reliable? Never had one. After BFG and XFX left, EVGA is the only one i'm buying GPUs from.

But those dragons would go along nicely with my new MSI board.

Are MSI GPUs reliable? Never had one. After BFG and XFX left, EVGA is the only one i'm buying GPUs from.

Historically they're one of the better brands. They've had some issues with the fans dying prematurely on their Twin Frozr coolers, but I'm guessing they've got that resolved.

That looks like a retail store setup. I'd expect to find 970s selling with a nice gouge at best buy for $520.

I just hope I can afford a pair of 980s and catch them before they're sold out.

I've had several of their GPU's, never had a problem. I've had to RMA a few MSI motherboards and it was always painless. A little slow (3 week turnaround, IIRC), but never any problems. I don't think their support will be as good as EVGA (advance RMA, pre-paid shipping, etc.) but I don't think they would hassle you either, and I don't think you'd have to be concerned about reliability.

Also, their stance on aftermarket cooling is that they prefer you don't, but it does not void your warranty as long as you put it back together properly. So, that's a plus.

Thanks Parja

I doubt that is US $, i would say it's dingo dollars or something :D

@Viper

they have no reference cards right? I'm strongly leaning towards SLI this time (depending on price), so only reference for me, cant afford having hot air inside the case with my CPU.

I'll throw one more rumour into the mix while were at it: Apparently the 980 is overclocking beyond 1.5GHz on air. Take this is with a mouthful of salt though as it's like third hand and translated from Chinese.

I'm leaning towards EVGA for this one as I'd like the option to step up if a 980ti comes soon after.

MSI does not make the GPU but yes there cards are great overall. I have had a 260, 660 ti, 770 and 780 and never a single issue with any of them.

Back