GTX 970/980 specs @ Techpowerup, plus 3dmark gpu-score leaks... Neo: "Woah."

If Flagship Card:

Card A = 60 FPS at 500W

Card B = 60 FPS at 300W

I'm choosin Card B

no shit, that's not what they're saying. they're saying they could raise the power usage and increase performance because that's what the card is meant for; people who want performance. it'd be more like card a = 80 fps at 500w.

AIBs will do precisely that with their pre-overclocked variants. They've been doing that for years now.

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about this card's performance at high resolutions.

You guys are in the wrong thread, by the wrong poster, to be daring to badmouth this upstanding honorable company and its appropriately-priced products.

Anyone seen this gem from VideoCardz? NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 pictured

VideoCardz said:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 has been a mystery until now. The new flagship will adopt GeForce GTX TITAN/780/780Ti cooling solution. It is a blower type cooler capable of dissipating 250W of power. This time it will only have to deal with 180 Watts, leaving plenty of headroom for overclocking.

Now let’s take closer look at the card. First up, there are some cosmetic changes, like the one below.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 vs 780 TiHowever the biggest improvement can be seen on the back. NVIDIA has adopted TITAN Z backplate for its new flagship.
There is a removable part over power connectors. We do not know why yet.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Back Picture

GeForce GTX 980 has two 6pin power connectors. There is a space for another 8pin connector, but we are more than sure it is not necessary. It is said that GeForce GTX 980 will require only 180W, so PCI-E interface and two 6-pin connectors are more than enough.

The memory layout has of course changed, as we have modules with higher capacity. This particular sample is using Samsung K4G41325FC-HC28 4Gb (128Mx32) modules.

What pictures do not show is the new display output configuration. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 has five display outputs: DVI, HDMI, and three DisplayPorts. We heard that GTX 980 and 970 may feature HDMI 2.0 support, but we were unable to confirm it.

The power section has been redesigned. GTX 980 has 5 GPU phases (780 Ti had 6), but the VRM has been greatly improved.

Anyway, it’s late, so enough talking, have a look at the PCB, you can also see the new bracket (which looks similar to TITAN Z).

Are these guys high? 2x6 pin is "more than enough"?? Since when? Unless I'm missing something, PCIe slot = 75W, 6 pin = 75W, so total power deliverable is 75W x 3 = 225W.

Assuming their estimation of the TDP at 180W is correct, then that's only 125% power target. And that's "more than enough". Ok then... (fine it's more than enough for stock, but who buys these cards just to run them at stock?)

Sounds as if nvidia is about to pinch out a log. No performance gain over 780ti and a VC designed the same as the 680 as a mid-range flagship.
Buy up those 780ti and Titan Blacks while you can boys, the 3D Mark world records will not be changing.with the GTX980 release. Overclocked GK110 will continue to be the big swinging dick.

Are these guys high? 2x6 pin is "more than enough"?? Since when? Unless I'm missing something, PCIe slot = 75W, 6 pin = 75W, so total power deliverable is 75W x 3 = 225W.

Assuming their estimation of the TDP at 180W is correct, then that's only 125% power target. And that's "more than enough". Ok then... (fine it's more than enough for stock, but who buys these cards just to run them at stock?)
What are you on about? The 680 had a TDP of 195 and came with 2x 6 pin. 2x 6 pin is way more than plenty for a 180 watt card.

If true, 3 DisplayPort connections would be great for triple-screen Surround with the new Asus.

What are you on about? The 680 had a TDP of 195 and came with 2x 6 pin. 2x 6 pin is way more than plenty for a 180 watt card.

Maybe the reference cards, but most of the non-reference cards I could dig up came with at least 8+6, if not 2x8 pins.

Again I'm not disagreeing that it's enough for stock (even said so in my original post), but OC'd that's a totally different story. I was lamenting that the reference cards may not have a lot of OC headroom.

That being said, I do expect the non-reference cards should come with better power delivery options.

If the Nvidia TDP is actually 180w, then it will likely use ~200w in some gaming situations.

My die calculation from another forum:
LordEC911 said:
If the below picture is real, it is around R600 size.
With a 256bit bus would seem like a pretty good candidate to shrink to < 300mm2 on 16FinFet with minimal redesign.

Measuring the first part of the pci-e connector at 1.1cm on my old 4850 and got 32pixels based on the GTX980 picture.

1pixel = ~.343mm
I got 59pixels by 60pixels for the GTX980 die.
20.2mm x 20.6mm = ~416mm2 (±~5% moe)

Edit- Using a similar method I got 23.3mm x 24mm = 559mm2 on the GK110 picture.

With nothing from AMD to drive them why release something other than power efficient card with minimal improvement? Their answer to anything AMD produces will the the 980Ti or 990 gtx.

AMD has to release something that is power efficient.

Running 2 x 290Xs has been a room warming experience for me and the phenomena has been exacerbated by the hot summer too.

It's no fun to have the room heated up so quickly while playing BF4. My 800D dissipates heat from the top and the case is under my desk. Few minutes into a gaming session I can start feeling excessive heat on my face. And the fact that while in crossfire the 290X are really poor over clockers - but I don't really care about it since 2 x 290X are plenty fast.

There is a good 150W power difference while running 2 x 290Xs than 2 x 780 GTX Ti. And I used to get a higher framerate at 2560 x 1600 everything set to ULTRA.

It's only because I got 2 x 290X Direct CU IIs for 600$ in total did I sell my 780 GTX Tis. But for the performance to $ ratio, I can't really complain.

Going forward, if AMDs going to charge 550$ for a card, I hope they can remain under the 200W mark. Because those of us that stay in warmer parts of the US can get some relief in tough summer months :/

Yes please to the 3 DP connections, I just got a pair of 34UM94-P's and I really didn't want to buy a second card just to be able to run both at 60Hz over DP. Though if the benches look good enough and there is some serious SLi scaling, then I might just buy a second anyway. My poor 680-DC2T did not like all those eye candy settings cranked up at 1440p.

Yes please to the 3 DP connections, I just got a pair of 34UM94-P's and I really didn't want to buy a second card just to be able to run both at 60Hz over DP. Though if the benches look good enough and there is some serious SLi scaling, then I might just buy a second anyway. My poor 680-DC2T did not like all those eye candy settings cranked up at 1440p.

Good news! Videocardz has high res pics of the cards and they include three dp connectors, dvi, and an hdmi. :)

Hmm..based on my sig rig, if I'm wanting to put my 690 out to pasture do I..

A. Snag a couple of 780ti on the cheap
B. Snag a 980
C. Cross my fingers for a 990..

Decisions, decisions.. :)

i doubt you will get 780ties for that cheap after 980 shows up ; maybe if the card proves a 780ti upgrade,

Hmm..based on my sig rig, if I'm wanting to put my 690 out to pasture do I..

A. Snag a couple of 780ti on the cheap
B. Snag a 980
C. Cross my fingers for a 990..

Decisions, decisions.. :)

If the rumored 980's tdp is 180w, I would say there is a good chance we will see an 990 at some point.

i doubt you will get 780ties for that cheap after 980 shows up ; maybe if the card proves a 780ti upgrade,

Going for ~ $500 on ebay. I'm thinking ~ $400ish? :cool:

If the rumored 980's tdp is 180w, I would say there is a good chance we will see an 990 at some point.

That's what I'm hoping.. Just have a thing for SLI/Dual GPUs. :D

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 has 2048 CUDA cores

GeForce GTX 980 has 16 Streaming Multiprocessors Maxwell (SMM), which give us 2048 CUDA cores in total. For comparison, GTX 970 has only 13 SMMs (1664 CUDAs), so there’s a 384 CUDA difference between these two cards..

qrX7ykf.jpg

The worlds worst kept secret EVAH!! LOL :D

Just release them already and take my money Nvidia.

Why are they dropping from 48 ROPS to 36 ROPS? In my experience this is BAD for anti-aliasing performance. I hope this is not one of those cards that blows the doors off of benchmarks that don't matter, adding frame rates we don't need but then when you crank up the anti-aliasing you end up with a turd. Or does the architecture account for it somehow. If you are at 1080p multi-sampling anti-aliasing and supersampling is critical.

Also now hearing rumors about the next Titan which might be on 20nm by the end of the year. And apparently per Fudzilla the reason why 20nm was delayed was that Apple gobbled up all the capacity for its iPhone 6.

The videocardz author also said the Maxwell CUDA cores are a lot more efficient and better performing than the Kepler cores.

This makes me more hopeful. Hopefully performance is good enough to compel me to sell my 780 Ti and SLI these 980s.

The videocardz author also said the Maxwell CUDA cores are a lot more efficient and better performing than the Kepler cores.

This makes me more hopeful. Hopefully performance is good enough to compel me to sell my 780 Ti and SLI these 980s.
Surely you already knew that from the performance of the 750 ti. It's been well known ever since that card was released that Maxwell had much faster cores.

1400+ boost clocks should be achievable with these newer cards from what it looks. It does seem like it will be slower clock for clock than the 780ti, sadly.

I'm guessing nvidia will market its efficiency and lower price as the main selling points.

Is the unknown card the 970 or 980? Benchmarks are completely believeable (assuming that's the 980), but I'll wait for official results.

I have no idea. It was posted on another forum, and I thought I post it here.

I have no idea if they are even real, but I assume Unknown card 2 is the 980, and unknown card 1 is the 970.

Also looks like the 980 is 2048 cores!!!! But the 970 is only going to be 1664....OUCH thats quite a difference.

http://videocardz.com/52339/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-has-2048-cuda-cores

Still if 1664 maxwell cuda cores can stay around 2304 780 gtx cuda cores performance, that will be impressive (Specially at around 150w TDP)

So it looks like anyone who has a 780 gtx now might as well buy another one for SLI over getting a 970.

I'm hoping for a convincing reason to upgrade my SLI 780s. The ROG Swift has me wanting to get around that 120 fps min target in BF4. If the 980s offer a nice boost, I'll be grabbing an X99 system to keep up with them. If not my X58 / SLI 780s are doing pretty good, and maybe I'll hold out for the Titan 2 or 980ti. Maybe a 3rd 780, but the scaling looks pretty awful.

I'm hoping for a convincing reason to upgrade my SLI 780s. The ROG Swift has me wanting to get around that 120 fps min target in BF4. If the 980s offer a nice boost, I'll be grabbing an X99 system to keep up with them. If not my X58 / SLI 780s are doing pretty good, and maybe I'll hold out for the Titan 2 or 980ti. Maybe a 3rd 780, but the scaling looks pretty awful.

If everything what we know so far about Maxwell is true, then in my opinion it's not worth it in your case. You already have SLI 780s so unless you have a really bad itch that only 980 can scratch :D you can wait few months until 20nm shows up. Hell, i'm wondering if it's worth it for me with single 680 lmao. Just my 2 cents. Plus, on top of everything we don't even know real price yet...

Why do you need to get 120 FPS minimum in BF4 with the PG278Q? Just use Gsync, or ULMB at a lower refresh rate. ULMB is usable down to 85Hz.

Back