GTX 970/980 specs @ Techpowerup, plus 3dmark gpu-score leaks... Neo: "Woah."

You know, with all the talk about the rumored 970Ti (because of the big gap between 970-980), if i were a betting man, i'd say if it ever comes to 970 it will be then, right now on these 970s, i don't think so, not for $329. I would think that that kind of cooler would bump the price up a little for reference cards. Of course i'm pulling this out of thin air, but, wait a few weeks if you can...

there isn't a big gap between the 970 and 980. there's not going to be a 970 Ti.

Any rumors involving a potential "970ti" are made up. It is not going to happen. The gap between the 970 and 980 is not that big.

there isn't a big gap between the 970 and 980. there's not going to be a 970 Ti.

This. There's a big price gap, but not a big enough performance gap. It would be hard to justify a ~$450 card that sits within just a few FPS of a $330 card. Your either going to go for the best bang for your buck and get the 970, or your going to pay the premium for a 980 to say you have the best you can buy.

The safer assumption is that you'll either see a 980 Ti, or perhaps a dual GPU, 990 maybe? Based on the way Maxwell sips power, it should have some decent headroom for an uptick or a dual GPU card... so that's what my money is on. I made a point to get an Evga card, that way if we see another 780 Ti situation, I can step up.

I ordered the the EVGA Superclocked Blower Model and the superclocked ACX 970 model, what would be the recommended way to SLI these 2 cards, blower model card on top and ACX on bottom, or vice versa?

So...anyone think there will be a 980ti in time out for Christmas? (Before my step-up eligibility expires?...)

should i sell my 780 and get a 970?
I will be doing just that. The reason is the 780 is really going to plummet in value especially as we get closer to the big Maxwell. I figured I can get at least a decent price for the 780 right now as some people are looking at running 780 SLI. The 970 should hold a pretty good bit of its value since its asking price is pretty low plus many people will also be looking for a used 970 down the road for SLI.

I ordered the the EVGA Superclocked Blower Model and the superclocked ACX 970 model, what would be the recommended way to SLI these 2 cards, blower model card on top and ACX on bottom, or vice versa?

Blower model on top.

So...anyone think there will be a 980ti in time out for Christmas? (Before my step-up eligibility expires?...)

Probably a 90% chance the answer of anything other than a GTX 960 this year is no. I don't think you'll see a better card from Nvidia than a GTX 980 until at least Feb. (Titan 6 month equivalent)/March (GTC 2015).

AMD's "supposedly" on schedule for a Q1 2015 announcement. They might make it before the end of the year depending on how far along they are and after seeing Nvidia's new lineup (go back to the drawing board or make additional tweaks). I'd expect something from AMD in January or February latest and the full GM210 soon after to counter.

All I gotta say to people is buy your 970/980 now so you have no regrets because if you spend months debating it like I did with the 780 you're going to find out right after you buy it the Ti Model drops and will probably push the GTX 980 down so the price difference isn't a crazy stupid $220 difference between 10-15% performance difference.

Probably a 90% chance the answer of anything other than a GTX 960 this year is no. I don't think you'll see a better card from Nvidia than a GTX 980 until at least Feb. (Titan 6 month equivalent)/March (GTC 2015).

AMD's "supposedly" on schedule for a Q1 2015 announcement. They might make it before the end of the year depending on how far along they are and after seeing Nvidia's new lineup (go back to the drawing board or make additional tweaks). I'd expect something from AMD in January or February latest and the full GM210 soon after to counter.

All I gotta say to people is buy your 970/980 now so you have no regrets because if you spend months debating it like I did with the 780 you're going to find out right after you buy it the Ti Model drops and will probably push the GTX 980 down so the price difference isn't a crazy stupid $220 difference between 10-15% performance difference.

Thanks - I'll guess live :p Just means it might be a better idea to set my sights on a 2nd 980GTX. Not the biggest fan of having dual card setups (had a 5850 Crossfire setup in the past), even when the framerate was high, something felt off (microstutter?). But that was crossfire, not SLI - I'm assuming dual card setups are just as refined and stable as they've ever been? No microstutter or compatibility issues? Or I could just sell my 980GTX if the Ti model drops and get that :)

Nvidia will 100% not release a 980 Ti within 90 days...they know about the EVGA step-up and they wouldn't do it to one of their biggest partners...they'll always space out their releases as to go outside that window...the step-up is for people who don't buy on release

Nvidia will 100% not release a 980 Ti within 90 days...they know about the EVGA step-up and they wouldn't do it to one of their biggest partners...they'll always space out their releases as to go outside that window...the step-up is for people who don't buy on release

Sad but true

Blower on top, and also be sure to remove the piece of the backplate that was designed to come out to improve airflow in tight SLI setups. If you have the slots, ideally don't put them right next to each other, but that motherboard dependent.
what gap ? of 16 %?
The 980 has 23% more cores and SMMs. That's pretty substantial. With the 970 having 13 and the 980 having 16, there's certainly room technically for a 14 or 15 SMM part. Whether that makes business sense is another question.

Thanks - I'll guess live :p Just means it might be a better idea to set my sights on a 2nd 980GTX. Not the biggest fan of having dual card setups (had a 5850 Crossfire setup in the past), even when the framerate was high, something felt off (microstutter?). But that was crossfire, not SLI - I'm assuming dual card setups are just as refined and stable as they've ever been? No microstutter or compatibility issues? Or I could just sell my 980GTX if the Ti model drops and get that :)

It's my personal experience that microstutter is (was?) a bigger issue with AMD. I had 5850 CF also, and had tons of problems with it. Mostly microstudder and issues with multiple monitors and overclocking (something to do with ULPS). I switched to the 560 Ti and later SLI'd them without a hitch. I've got SLI'd 680's now, also no issues with the pair of them. I'm not sure if microstudder is still an issue with CF or if they sorted it out, but I do know that you shouldn't expect any issues with SLI.

I know that's where I'll be headed with my 980 down the road. One should suffice for now, but I think as soon as a 980 Ti does drop, I'll snag a second one if the price drops.

Blower on top, and also be sure to remove the piece of the backplate that was designed to come out to improve airflow in tight SLI setups. If you have the slots, ideally don't put them right next to each other, but that motherboard dependent.

The 980 has 23% more cores and SMMs. That's pretty substantial. With the 970 having 13 and the 980 having 16, there's certainly room technically for a 14 or 15 SMM part. Whether that makes business sense is another question.

I don't think there will be a 970Ti. Sure they can make a card that's 7% faster than a 970 and 7% slower than a 980 for $449.99 but I don't see the point. In fact, I think it would cut into 980 sales, which are already selling out like crazy.

Maybe they'll release a 980Ti @ $649.99 and reduce the price of the 980 to $499.99.

atm im not even sure the performance difference between 970 and 980 warrants the 200 bucks more
let alone a 970TI in the middle

atm im not even sure the performance difference between 970 and 980 warrants the 200 bucks more
let alone a 970TI in the middle

For a lot of people, it doesn't. Make no mistake, the 970 is the much better value of the two. Frankly, it's one of the best value's I can recall in GPU's period. It's a monster of a card for $330. That said, it's not the best. Some people want the best, and the reality is $550 also isn't a terribly unreasonable price for that privilege. Had the 980 launched on it's own at $550, I think most people would agree that it's a very fair price for this card. It's only due to it's little brother that it appears overpriced.

When numbers dropped, I was really torn. Two 970's for $660 would make for an incredible setup, certainly better performance per $ spent than a single 980. The reason I ultimately didn't go that way is because I really like the idea of having SLI as an upgrade a year or so down the road, and I really don't need that much performance right now. At 1080p, I don't think there is a single thing out there that the 980 isn't prepared for.

I went with 970SLI myself. The low price of the 970 pretty much made the 980 a no option. If I want performance and am willing to spend $550.00 I might as well spend $660.00 and get massively more performance.

I agree that the 980 for $550.00 alone is on par for top end GPU's. I just couldn't justify spending 66% more money for 15% more performance over the 970.

I went with 970SLI myself. The low price of the 970 pretty much made the 980 a no option. If I want performance and am willing to spend $550.00 I might as well spend $660.00 and get massively more performance.

I agree that the 980 for $550.00 alone is on par for top end GPU's. I just couldn't justify spending 66% more money for 15% more performance over the 970.

I'm really torn myself... I usually go for the most powerful single gpu I can get within my budget with the plan to go SLI down the road (which never happens because I end up selling my old GPU and buying the latest and greatest every time) so I can avoid all of the headaches of games that aren't optimized for SLI.

This is starting to seem like a bad strategy to me these days though, because any game that actually needs the power of SLI lately is compatible with it, and I'm fairly certain a single 970 can handle any of the games that can't take advantage of SLI. When I think of that a 980 just doesn't make much sense to me.

The only thing holding me back right now is my worries that 4GB of ram just won't be enough for a 2560 x 1440 monitor for the next few years (I'm an Anti-Aliasing addict and would like to stop upgrading GPUs every 8-12 months) and the idea that an 8GB 980 or 980ti monster could be right around the corner (I'm ok paying a large premium if the performance is right).

Last edited:
One of the things I noticed that might make a difference to people is that the 970s have a variety of connection types. There's quite a few that use the old nvidia standard: 2 DVI, 1 DP, 1 HDMI. Only some of the 970s have more than 1 DP. Personally, I don't want multiple DVI on my video cards anymore, especially with the g-sync monitors all being DP only (for the most part). Keep that in mind when you make your purchase.

Will be good for consumers :).

Can't find the cards length, but it does looks reference 670 short. Zotac is a solid brand.

The ZOTAC standard 970 is currently the shortest one available in the US (all the others are huge). The Inno3D 970, is about the same, or maybe a little shorter, but I don't think that brand is available in the US.

Really disappointed we haven't seen more short 970s like these two.

EDIT: Overlayed the ZOTAC & Inno3D in photoshop, and the ZOTAC is shorter.

Thanks to both. I just bought the ZOTAC from newegg.

How does Zotac deal with rma ? im curious , because I have not bought anything from them.
Yea zotac is shorter .

Not a single clue, it's my first one too. And I hope I don't have to find out... I'm from Argentina and my sister is bringing it in a couple of weeks, if something doesn't work... I'm screwed.

lol its a pain when living outside of US . I have the same issue im from Sri-Lanka and I have my friend in US he will ship it to me from there.
Lets hope you dont get up to their rma .

They say the amd 300 series are to be released next week , is it a advantage to upgrade now ?

Since I planned to wait for some of the higher end 980 models to come out. AMD is now releasing something (paper launch) on Thursday.

If the new AMD card has HBM stacks memory, it will save around 40-50w for AMD right there.

Of course this is all speculation. I am curious though if Kyle and Brent know anything about this.

^^true that .
but many have already upgraded to gtx 980 without knowing the release of new gen cards, thats a shame.

Hm that is interesting, only few days to see what's all this about. If it's GPU related, i hope it's about R9 3XX some new juicy info. I'll stop scanning Egg and Amazon for now.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. Well shit, that sure makes the weekend more interesting than I thought now if that isn't going to throw a wrench into buyers heads I don't know what would.

Yea I will wait tell Thursday so see what AMD has. For all we know it could be a horrible paper launch with no cards until november or some bullshit.

Or AMD could just release new cards and totally blow our minds (highly unlikely)

AMD has kept secrets pretty well hidden before (eyefinity). So who the fuck knows.

Sept. 25th will be an important day for AMD

AMD reveals new cards, Nvidia drops the price of the 980 in response. Win / win!

Back