GTX 970/980 specs @ Techpowerup, plus 3dmark gpu-score leaks... Neo: "Woah."

I'm looking at a majority of the reviews...

oh... kay? Then look again? I mean even using a site that measure system draw, which sucks for trying to say if claimed TDP is accurate:

290X 290W TDP is claimed? I see Anandtech saying ~300, techpowerup says 290 so using that, but not sure why so many sites say '~300'.
980 165W TDP claimed

Should expect ~125watt difference between systems loaded, from hard:
433-312= 121watts.

While that makes perfect sense, I think its mostly just pure luck its that close. I'd still only use techpowerup, or any other site that measures gpu draw over anyone using system draw.

Last edited:
Are there any reliable tests, comparing GTX 780 OC'ed to about 1200MHz boost clock(I suppose you can call it below average for a B1 chip) to GTX 970 OC to 1400-1500MHz boost clock?

Hm, I dunno. A single 980 is 15% faster than a single 970, but costs 66% more.

I just don't think the value is there for 980 SLI. Why spend $1,100 when you can get 85% of the performance for only $660?

If you're willing to spend $1,100 for 980 SLI you might as well just get 3x970 for $1,000.

Picked up 2 EVGA GTX 980s!!

I agree with your post, only problem is that 3 wont fit in my case and my motherboard doesn't support tri SLi. If it did, your suggestion was the smartest choice for me since I'm gaming at 3240x1920 120hz surround. The more vram and power the better.

oh... kay? Then look again? I mean even using a site that measure system draw, which sucks for trying to say if claimed TDP is accurate:

290X 290W TDP is claimed? I see Anandtech saying ~300, techpowerup says 290 so using that, but not sure why so many sites say '~300'.
980 165W TDP claimed

Should expect ~125watt difference between systems loaded, from hard:
433-312= 121watts.

While that makes perfect sense, I think its mostly just pure luck its that close. I'd still only use techpowerup, or any other site that measures gpu draw over anyone using system draw.

I'm looking at Nvidia claiming the GTX980 is a 165w TDP card when it is in fact pulling roughly the same power as GTX770, a 230w TDP card.

As that article says, they calculate power from the power socket side so have to guesstimate the efficiency of the PSU at that level of power.

Woohoo! I did NOT order anything to replace my SLI GTX 680s. Will power...

:D I'm getting practical in my old age.

Woohoo! I did NOT order anything to replace my SLI GTX 680s. Will power...

:D I'm getting practical in my old age.

with SLI 680s I don't think your hurting for performance in games at all. I am only really starting to see that I can't just press sliders to the max positions in games with my 670 now because I moved from 1920x1200 to 2560x1600. So I bought a EVGA 970 this morning. I decided to be practical and not go for the GTX980. ;)

It's a shame the 970 ACX actually seems WORSE than previous generations.
EVGA cutting corner after corner, tsk tsk.

EVGA dropped the ball on this one. I was seriously considering ignoring my aversion to SLI and going with 2x GTX 970. The performance per dollar is so much better than the 980. But EVGA made the (not) brilliant choice to remove 2 DisplayPorts from ALL of their 970s and replace it with a DVI port. So they only have 1 DP output. That's not going to cut it these days, especially when SLI only allows you to use the primary card's outputs. What if I have multiple G-Sync displays? What if I want to daisy chain displays? What if I have displays that only take DP as an input? What if I buy a monitor that requires 2 DP connections to drive, like the new 5K Dell? We need more than 1 DP connection in today's display ecosystem, that's just not enough.

Plus you can convert DP to DVI easily with a cheap adapter, the reverse isn't true. So anyone with DVI only displays could easily use adapters, but those with DP only displays are hosed.

EVGA dropped the ball on this one. I was seriously considering ignoring my aversion to SLI and going with 2x GTX 970. The performance per dollar is so much better than the 980. But EVGA made the (not) brilliant choice to remove 2 DisplayPorts from ALL of their 970s and replace it with a DVI port. So they only have 1 DP output. That's not going to cut it these days, especially when SLI only allows you to use the primary card's outputs. What if I have multiple G-Sync displays? What if I want to daisy chain displays? We need more than 1 DP connection.

Oh wow, it does? I thought for some reason you could use the outputs on multiple cards..... or are you speaking for surround only?

EVGA dropped the ball on this one. I was seriously considering ignoring my aversion to SLI and going with 2x GTX 970. The performance per dollar is so much better than the 980. But EVGA made the (not) brilliant choice to remove 2 DisplayPorts from ALL of their 970s and replace it with a DVI port. So they only have 1 DP output. That's not going to cut it these days, especially when SLI only allows you to use the primary card's outputs. What if I have multiple G-Sync displays? What if I want to daisy chain displays? What if I buy a monitor that requires 2 DP connections to drive, like the new 5K Dell? We need more than 1 DP connection in today's display ecosystem.

The only current custom cooler model GTX 970 that retains the 3xDP, 1x HDMI, 1xDVI configuration (it actually seems to have 2x DVI as an addition) seems to be the Gigabyte G1 Gaming.

If you go with Guru3d's thermal imaging results for it however it seems like by far the best cooling solution in terms of temperature performance currently, especially for VRAM and VRM components. But basically all the heat will be vented into the case as it doesn't seem to have any exhaust vents.

Oh wow, it does? I thought for some reason you could use the outputs on multiple cards..... or are you speaking for surround only?

If you are using surround, you can use inputs from both cards. If you want to maintain individual displays, you must either use the inputs only on card one or disable SLI to use the inputs on both cards.

BTW... out for delivery yet? :D

The only current custom cooler model GTX 970 that retains the 3xDP, 1x HDMI, 1xDVI configuration (it actually seems to have 2x DVI as an addition) seems to be the Gigabyte G1 Gaming.
I'd actually prefer the reference design, both in terms of the cooler and the outputs. That's still good to know. I've always been very happy with my EVGA products, plus they have step up in case NVIDIA tries to pry a little more profit from the market and releases a 970Ti or 980Ti or somesuch around the black Friday timeframe. That's the main reason I was unhappy about their decision.

with SLI 680s I don't think your hurting for performance in games at all. I am only really starting to see that I can't just press sliders to the max positions in games with my 670 now because I moved from 1920x1200 to 2560x1600. So I bought a EVGA 970 this morning. I decided to be practical and not go for the GTX980. ;)

I'm on 2560x1600 too. I just looked at the reviews and with games that are great at SLI, SLI 680's are, for the most part, well above 60 FPS.

I'm still on x58 too. I was going to jump on Haswell-E, but I just don't see the cost being worth it.

:rolleyes: Pffft....i hate being practical.

Last edited:
Sweet, managed to buy one evga 980 superclocked from newegg. Looks like they have plenty of them in stock.

Now to wait for frozencpu or performance pcs to stock up ek blocks :).

I bought two 970s from Newegg and they have a 10$ rebate. Am I able to send for the rebate on both cards? or only one.

gwyQFXl.gif

what a crazy graph

Lol at the end of tpu's 980 review. Oh yeah, guru was able to get 1547 boost on the 980 windforce.

Wonder what amd's response will be, since the 970 has made their current cards pointless.

Just a quick question: What is the shortest GTX 970? The ZOTAC one? Do you recommend that card?

I'm installing it in a SUGO SG01-E and the VGA needs to be less than 9.6". Most of the cards are 9.5", but that's to risky.

Price war!
Will be good for consumers :).
azeós;1041104970 said:
Just a quick question: What is the shortest GTX 970? The ZOTAC one? Do you recommend that card?

I'm installing it in a SUGO SG01-E and the VGA needs to be less than 9.6". Most of the cards are 9.5", but that's to risky.
Can't find the cards length, but it does looks reference 670 short. Zotac is a solid brand.

azeós;1041104970 said:

The ZOTAC standard 970 is currently the shortest one available in the US (all the others are huge). The Inno3D 970, is about the same, or maybe a little shorter, but I don't think that brand is available in the US.

Really disappointed we haven't seen more short 970s like these two.

EDIT: Overlayed the ZOTAC & Inno3D in photoshop, and the ZOTAC is shorter.

Last edited:
Does anyone have a link for a Titan cooler 970, preferably with a backplate? I want to have a specific model to search for.

Everywhere I look its after market cooled and I've just always wanted that cooler, even if I have to buy a backplate later on.

I see all the naysayers and doomsday folk ranting on about how the 980 could never be faster than a 780Ti with its specs and how it would choke under the pressure of 4k resolutions have crawled back into their dark, decrepit holes. While the gamer in me is upset it was only a 10% average bump from the 780Ti to the 980, the realist in me has come to the conclusion that GM210 is going to blow the fucking transistors off of GK110. Here's hoping to that transition provides a performance gap similar to what was seen going from the 580 to 680.

I'll definitely be upgrading my lone 680 DC2T to a Strix 980 for sure to drive my new monitors - though dual 970's is pretty damn tempting price-to-performance.

what a crazy graph
It's interesting that the 750 Ti seems to handle the 2560x1600 situation pretty admirably. I'd think it get knocked down a peg or two in perf/watt as a result of it only having 2GB, but it's still at the reference level of efficiency at that resolution.

That's not to say that it delivers playable frame rates at 25x16, but it still achieves performance efficiency for its power consumption.

While the gamer in me is upset it was only a 10% average bump from the 780Ti to the 980, the realist in me has come to the conclusion that GM210 is going to blow the fucking transistors off of GK110.
Keep in mind you're not comparing competing cards. You're comparing a normal flagship (980) to a far more expensive than flagship halo card (780Ti). (Although still sub Titan line.) Compared to the 780, the 980 displays the usual 30% generational performance improvement.

I read a review somewhere stating that the power delivery circuitry on the 980 was different to the 970. Can't find the review now. Can anyone help me out?

Does anyone have a link for a Titan cooler 970, preferably with a backplate? I want to have a specific model to search for.

Everywhere I look its after market cooled and I've just always wanted that cooler, even if I have to buy a backplate later on.

You know, with all the talk about the rumored 970Ti (because of the big gap between 970-980), if i were a betting man, i'd say if it ever comes to 970 it will be then, right now on these 970s, i don't think so, not for $329. I would think that that kind of cooler would bump the price up a little for reference cards. Of course i'm pulling this out of thin air, but, wait a few weeks if you can...

Keep in mind you're not comparing competing cards. You're comparing a normal flagship (980) to a far more expensive than flagship halo card (780Ti). (Although still sub Titan line.) Compared to the 780, the 980 displays the usual 30% generational performance improvement.

Believe me, I'm well aware I'm comparing a 104 part to a 110 part when I say that - which is all the more reason to be impressed. It did that on the same 28nm node with less of everything from Watts to CUDA cores to bus width. Which is why the following...

the realist in me has come to the conclusion that GM210 is going to blow the fucking transistors off of GK110.

is even more of a thing to be looking forward to and will be a phenomenal piece of engineering.

Back