GTX 970/980 specs @ Techpowerup, plus 3dmark gpu-score leaks... Neo: "Woah."

GoldenTiger

Fully [H]
*Reference* cards come faster than this...http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2734193 GTX 970 is looking sharp with plenty more OC headroom ;). That's only 1140mhz. According to TPU GPU DB of a bunch of different cards, 1178mhz should be the reference boost clock for the GTX 970. An 1150mhz GTX 780 Ti which is a healthy air OC for one, scores around 12,200 gpu score. That sub-reference-clock GTX 970, pumps out an 11,300 score which is under 10% less. Now realize that you can buy a 1280mhz or higher out of the box card at launch:

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b3051/palit-gtx-970-jetstream.html 1280mhz rated boost :eek:.

and we're talking something nice ;) for $399 probably.
9S5v10j.png

Other images:

Reference GTX 970 card?
GJRbmjs.jpg

Reference GTX 980 specs!
slBcZ73.png

Reference GTX 970 specs!
5OlHCP1.png

and only 1920 shader units...

500 bucks for a 1920x1080 card ?

no way in hell im buying this if the specs are legit

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about this card's performance at high resolutions.

Yeah, I'm a little concerned about this card's performance at high resolutions.

As someone who runs a 4k monitor, that's my only question mark left... but I think since I don't use MSAA @ 4k anyway (unneeded on my Dell UP2414Q) and rely on FXAA (much less blur effect at this high a resolution, and hits all geometry, alpha, and shader aliasing instead of just geometry like msaa, plus minimal performance impact) it will hold up very well there. 2560x1440 we've seen a 3dmark extreme result of and it stayed in line with what you'd expect.

Wait, you play specs, or you play games and benchmarks? I care about what it brings to the table, it could have 4 shader units for all I care if it performs!

Still 256bit?

:/

Bring back 448Bit from GTX260/295 days. :D

Bus width & vram capacity: the modern-day "GHZ Myth". :)

It's a new architecture, surely you can't expect each shader unit to perform the same as Kepler?

Interesting. Not sure if the 980 will be enough of an upgrade for me at this point. After [H] reviews it I'll make my decision to go for it or wait for the 980Ti. Or 20nm. Or..... AMD? Where are you AMD?

Not bad at all, of course these are canned benchmarks, but not bad.

I still say a dual 980 video card would be epic. Specially if its 190w each.

Whoa, 175W for the 980?

Great! 15 SM, that is what I expected. On 20nm you could have the Ti with 25% more shaders (around 19 SM) and then the new Titan with even more shaders. Something like 21-23 SM.

Heh, and that's without counting on 20nm milking for two years or more, so computing power on 20nm could reach up to 25 - 30 SM with current architecture and 250W TDP. That along with stacked memory added and true unified memory.
The huge BW increase will improve performance even more.

So i could do a 500w itx machine eh? Damn, its time to put my lian li pc08 to use... finally!

Let the overclocking begin!

Well you might want to hold on there. Nvidia limits the max volts and power.

So its totally possible you wont be able to overclock as much as you like.

BUT it's totally possible Nvidia changed that with the new series.

i don't think so, with 600 and 700 series how much were people able to overclock those cards at high speed even undervolting (to those who liked to mod BIOS :D as me:D) with 780s and 780Tis its fairly common to see those cards over 1300mhz which its a good bump over the stock speed actually its typical to see a 750TI over 1400 easily and none of those cards need extra voltage. in the past people were able to overclock with unlocked voltage how much?.. 50mhz in high end cards? maybe 150mhz under water..? I think right now its safer to overclock than before you will not fry anything and that its good..

Sorry but that never stopped anyone truly dedicated to the task before.

For me I use surround and planning on getting a 32 inch 1440p so I'm waiting for reviews. I wouldn't be surprised to see myself in for another cheap gtx 780 though

Sorry but that never stopped anyone truly dedicated to the task before.

For me I use surround and planning on getting a 32 inch 1440p so I'm waiting for reviews. I wouldn't be surprised to see myself in for another cheap gtx 780 though

O I know that. Otherwise I wouldn't of had a 1450mhz 780 lightning @ 1.3v

i don't think so, with 600 and 700 series how much were people able to overclock those cards at high speed even undervolting (to those who liked to mod BIOS :D as me:D) with 780s and 780Tis its fairly common to see those cards over 1300mhz which its a good bump over the stock speed actually its typical to see a 750TI over 1400 easily and none of those cards need extra voltage. in the past people were able to overclock with unlocked voltage how much?.. 50mhz in high end cards? maybe 150mhz under water..? I think right now its safer to overclock than before you will not fry anything and that its good..

There is a difference from getting 1300 on the core, to sustaining 1300 on the core.

Also people will say (yes I hit 1300 on the core and its stable!!) Yet the GPU usage never hit above 70% which in that case would not hit the power limit.

Either way these cards will be great! Just don't get your hopes up for massive overclocking.

Takes out box for 670 and compares specs =)

Is the Shading units the same as Cuda Cores?

Last edited:
There is a difference from getting 1300 on the core, to sustaining 1300 on the core.

Also people will say (yes I hit 1300 on the core and its stable!!) Yet the GPU usage never hit above 70% which in that case would not hit the power limit.

Either way these cards will be great! Just don't get your hopes up for massive overclocking.

with a modded bios you can change completely the behavior of a card and change the thermal and power limits to reach a high "Base clock" my 780 have a "base clock" of 1202mhz, my 660ti have a base clock of 1254mhz.. my 670 have a base clock of 1293.. thats the minimum clock they have under any kind of load, with higher boost clocks which vary depending of the situation not matter if the card are pegged at 99% benching or just gaming.. which its funny with those base clocks its that im able to undervolt from example my 670 from 1.175v to 1.152v and keep that high base clock.. and when needed increase the power limit bar to achieve higher voltage and boost clock of 1333mhz at 1.21v. but this take lot of time to mod BIOS and keep it 24/7

efficiency>number of shaders

I had both, 770 and 780ti at one time during testing, and in bf4 at 1080p I was only getting 17fps more with the 780ti, but when you look at the specs of both cards and see that 780ti has like over 1200 more shaders over 770 it should of been more than just 17fps boost.

I think Kepler's tech hit a wall with shaders very early, 780 and 780ti really don't offer the impressive performance as it should when you factor in all the extra shaders over the 770.

add in a larger memory bus and double the price of 770 I was disappointed with 780ti, I took it back and kept the 770 for my 3rd build.

with a modded bios you can change completely the behavior of a card and change the thermal and power limits to reach a high "Base clock" my 780 have a "base clock" of 1202mhz, my 660ti have a base clock of 1254mhz.. my 670 have a base clock of 1293.. thats the minimum clock they have under any kind of load, with higher boost clocks which vary depending of the situation not matter if the card are pegged at 99% benching or just gaming.. which its funny with those base clocks its that im able to undervolt from example my 670 from 1.175v to 1.152v and keep that high base clock.. and when needed increase the power limit bar to achieve higher voltage and boost clock of 1333mhz at 1.21v. but this take lot of time to mod BIOS and keep it 24/7

And only about 1% of people who buy video cards would even mod the bios.

When is the last time you read a review of a video card on a major hardware website that showed they used a modded bios to overclock a card and compare to other stock video cards?

Saying the card will overclock better with a modded bios, is like saying a mustang will run faster with a turbo......

And only about 1% of people who buy video cards would even mod the bios.

When is the last time you read a review of a video card on a major hardware website that showed they used a modded bios to overclock a card and compare to other stock video cards?

Saying the card will overclock better with a modded bios, is like saying a mustang will run faster with a turbo......

A more relevant comparison would be upping boost on an already turbocharged vehicle by installing a chip. But in this case, there's 0 cost. Just a little knowledge or research and about 10 minutes of your time.

efficiency>number of shaders

I had both, 770 and 780ti at one time during testing, and in bf4 at 1080p I was only getting 17fps more with the 780ti, but when you look at the specs of both cards and see that 780ti has like over 1200 more shaders over 770 it should of been more than just 17fps boost.

I think Kepler's tech hit a wall with shaders very early, 780 and 780ti really don't offer the impressive performance as it should when you factor in all the extra shaders over the 770.

add in a larger memory bus and double the price of 770 I was disappointed with 780ti, I took it back and kept the 770 for my 3rd build.

lol, a 780 Ti is almost as fast as 770 SLI. try using a cpu faster than a q9400.

lol, a 780 Ti is almost as fast as 770 SLI. try using a cpu faster than a q9400.

it was tested with oc'd 4770k.

look for yourself:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_780_gaming_oc_6_gb_graphics_card_review,16.html

780 gets only +9fps over 770 and 780ti gets only +17fps over 770 in BF4

Kepler's tech with shaders hit a wall early, end of story.

lol at your comment of 780ti being as fast as 2x 770's, its not true and who cares when all the extra shaders are not efficient due to Kepler tech hitting the wall between that of 770 and 780.

Last edited:
Every time i see new info about GTX 980 specs seem to be lower and lower... Why is it now 2 SM counts between 970 and 980, it used to be 4 and 3 sm counts between 770-780-780ti. Hopefully AMD comes up with something soon, this is not upgrade worthy at all unless you are sitting on some pretty old set up (at least to me it's not)

780 gets only +9fps over 770 and 780ti gets only +17fps over 770 in BF4

I think other games/tests would draw a more dramatic--and possibly more valid--comparison.

Besides, is that 9/17fps avg? If were getting 60fps on the 770 and 77fps on the 780Ti that is a 30% increase.

A more relevant comparison would be upping boost on an already turbocharged vehicle by installing a chip. But in this case, there's 0 cost. Just a little knowledge or research and about 10 minutes of your time.

Again for the 1%. most people who buy video cards have no idea how to bios flash, and don't follow instructions very well.

After following the 780 MSI lightning thread on OCN I have seen it first hand.

Think I'll wait for actual FPS scores =) I mean these cards will be sold out for a while I suspect happened with the Titan =) Wonder what type of cooling shrouds these will have I miss the days of having cool character on graphics cards on the fans I mean why make everything metal and black? I think the Kingpin is the best looking card for the 780 series.

Geez everytime a nvidia puts out a new graphics card all the nerds start screaming about how low the specs are on a piece of paper. And when all the reviews come out from sites, it shows to actually perform!!! If you want to pay for specs on a piece of paper, buy amd. They'll have the bigger bus, memory, etc. Yet they will perform almost identical. :rolleyes:

Geez everytime a nvidia puts out a new graphics card all the nerds start screaming about how low the specs are on a piece of paper. And when all the reviews come out from sites, it shows to actually perform!!! If you want to pay for specs on a piece of paper, buy amd. They'll have the bigger bus, memory, etc. Yet they will perform almost identical. :rolleyes:
While I'm not so optimistic, I think it is true that too much is being made of the bus width. I remember there was a test done on here a long time ago to show the differences between the 384-bit 7970 and the 256-bit 680, and one of the few things that was clear was that memory usage, allocation, etc. was different based on architecture.

Since it's clear nvidia does something different that makes their "smaller" bus width work (such as upping the throughput by increasing clocks), I think it's entirely possible that a 256-bit (or even a 192-bit) bus can perform above our expectations.

If anything, I hope it doesn't and that this card disappoints because I'm not ready to have my current setup outclassed even further. :(

Generally, GTX x70 has less VRAM than x80 cards.
If GTX970 has 4GB of VRAM, why GTX980 has 4GB of VRAM?

Will it probably have more than 4GB?

Generally, GTX x70 has less VRAM than x80 cards.
If GTX970 has 4GB of VRAM, why GTX980 has 4GB of VRAM?

Will it probably have more than 4GB?

The VRAM was a method used to segment the market. We're at a point where VRAM is relatively cheap thanks to advances in technology, and games are now starting to think of 2GB+ thanks to consoles in part and higher resolutions.

Instead of nipping cards VRAM, they'll just come out with cards that have 2x the VRAM as the higher-end initial offering and sell it for $100 more. Costs them next to nothing to do and they know people just want to see bigger numbers even if the VRAM offers little improvement in just about every game out there.

So what people should do is buy 3 780 Gtxs for more then likely $900, That's what im running and its freaking sweet! If this card is this much of a Sidegrade I will actually for the first time in my life ( 40 years ) be sitting out a card refresh, my bank account and wife will be thanking me...

So many of you guys that are talking about getting more than 'one' card don't even factor scaling issues, which are usually driver and game dependent.

Something known as 'Premium' is paid for getting one 'high-end' card, as compared to two slightly lower models, just for the sacrifice of scaling.

As far as this second gen Maxwell is concerned, we knew this was coming, the 750 ti made it really clear. This would be a game changer.

So many of you guys that are talking about getting more than 'one' card don't even factor scaling issues, which are usually driver and game dependent.

Something known as 'Premium' is paid for getting one 'high-end' card, as compared to two slightly lower models, just for the sacrifice of scaling.

As far as this second gen Maxwell is concerned, we knew this was coming, the 750 ti made it really clear. This would be a game changer.

one card will never deliver the amount of power required to a actual [H]Gamer.. not for surround gaming, not for 120hz 1440/1600 gaming, not for 4K 60hz gaming and even less for high resolution 2560x1XX0 surround gaming.. each hardcore gaming actually have to think in 2 or 3 cards.. =)..

Back