GTX 960 Ti - Real this time?

Nah, it's just way too late. But they have been unpredictable before. (The fine article says "after next January".)

"Given the price point Nvidia is going to be aiming for with this card, we can expect performance somewhere in between the GTX 960 and GTX 970"

No shit? Looks like a click bait site being used for ad revenue. Especially since it is nothing more than speculation and a link to another click bait site.

I've always said: the GTX 970 is the 960 ti. You can already get the Zotac for $270 no rebates every day, and you can get other cards with axial coolers for $280-290 after rebate. Those axial cards used to retail for $350, so it didn't take long for the prices to come down.

Why would they bother cutting another card? It would be in a price limbo worse than the 380X, since it would have to be at least $260 to not steal sales from the GTX 960, and then you're on the edge of 970 territory.

OEM card? Sure, I can see it - they always like new model numbers to shake things up and confuse people. But it would never be released in retail.

The problem is that the castrated 960 is $50 too much right now.

This might work at $239.99 if the 960 4GB is dropped to $199.99. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the 380X.

It would be stupid for Nvidia to push a higher tier 960 out the gates at this point. The 900 Series has officially launched over a year ago and everyone knows Pascal is already around the corner. I wouldn't be surprised if we see something in March or April, which regardless will force major price drops on the existing 900 cards even if they launch just the 1070/1080.

Contrary to my initial thought, I was thinking earlier today of something interesting -- the 560 ti 448 also released a year after the x80, also based on the same GF110, and a little over 3 months before the successor Kepler. It wouldn't be impossible for them to do this again.

If they want to fight the 380X, they either have to release this or do a massive price cut on the 970. Either way they would have to cut the 960's. If they have a chip binning that could be a 960Ti, I think they would be smart to use it.

970M is the real 960 OEM is the mythical 960 Ti. It already exists, they just don't build cards around it.

970M is the real 960 OEM is the mythical 960 Ti. It already exists, they just don't build cards around it.

Basically this - they'd rather get idiots to pay $1200 for a laptop with graphics card as fast as a GTX 960, rather than charge $250 for it running at a higher speed (and steal sales from the GTX 970). Desktop gaming systems from the major OEMs will have similar markups.

Both GPU cut configurations come from the same chip.

Follow the money :D

Last edited:

Basically this - they'd rather get idiots to pay $1200 for a laptop with graphics card as fast as a GTX 960, rather than charge $250 for it running at a higher speed (and steal sales from the GTX 970). Desktop gaming systems from the major OEMs will have similar markups.

Both GPU cut configurations come from the same chip.

Follow the money :D

This all sounds about right, but nVidia will be following the money as it walks out the door and buys a 380X, if they aren't careful.

I think its too late for a 960 ti, even though theres a large differene price and perfoance wise between the 960 and 970.

Maybe if they made it low profile it could have a niche. Otherwise I'm not seeing the point of buying a hypothetical 960ti.

Lol they should just release it to fuck with amd. Price it at $225. Drop the 950 to $140. $180 for the 960 4g and call it a day. Yeah the $970 is worth the $50 more but $50 matters to a lot of people so giving close to 970 performance for cheap and push their Moba concentration again. :)

Hell I would buy one just for shits and giggles. Everyone rails on how shitty the 960 is but I owned several 980 ti and 970's and can tell you the 960 delivers a great gaming experience for the price.

There's simply no place for it. The 970 is superior in every way, even performing on par with a 390x once OCed, and already fills it's price point ($250 and less when you shop around for deals like evga b-stock)

e so giving close to 970 performance for cheap and push their Moba concentration again. :)

WTF is a Moba concentration?

Edit never mind, sick of MOBA being an acronym. It's too close to Mobo :D

Anything above the GTX 950 is overpowered for a MOBA anyway. That''s why Nvidia hawked THAT card for casusal-yet-still-demanding gamers.

Edit never mind, sick of MOBA being an acronym.

ESports is a big thing still with millions in prizes. Everybody knows that they can be the next Dendi if they play long enough, eat their Wheaties, and pop plenty of Adderall. You should introduce them to Powers Whiskey. :)

Edit never mind, sick of MOBA being an acronym. It's too close to Mobo :D

Anything above the GTX 950 is overpowered for a MOBA anyway. That''s why Nvidia hawked THAT card for casusal-yet-still-demanding gamers.

Aye I agree. But with games like over watch. Paladins. And others gaining more user headway I can see them advertising for these games that need a little more power. . Despite the fact that a 750ti can pretty much give them the best bang for the buck.

ESports is a big thing still with millions in prizes. Everybody knows that they can be the next Dendi if they play long enough, eat their Wheaties, and pop plenty of Adderall. You should introduce them to Powers Whiskey. :)

I think they'd fall over from the combination of upper a downers plus good whiskey :D

Aye I agree. But with games like over watch. Paladins. And others gaining more user headway I can see them advertising for these games that need a little more power. . Despite the fact that a 750ti can pretty much give them the best bang for the buck.

Because the GTX 950 is overkill for playing these MOBAs at 1440p? See here where it still has gas in the tank, CPU-limited at 1080p:

http://www.legitreviews.com/moba-gaming-performance-is-the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-950-worth-it_170988/8

Hell, it ALMOST has the juice for competitive gaming at 4k! I'm sure if new games with higher requirements come out, the 950 will be able to handle them still at good old 1080p.

You don't need to spend anywhere NEAR 970 territory for a good value MBA gaming upgrade, so why do you think Nvidia should make ANOTHER MORE EXPENSIVE card they don't need?

Because the GTX 950 is overkill for playing these MOBAs at 1440p? See here where it still has tank in the gas, CPU-limited at 1080p:

http://www.legitreviews.com/moba-gaming-performance-is-the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-950-worth-it_170988/8

You don't need to spend anywhere NEAR 970 territory for a good value MBA gaming upgrade, so why do you think Nvidia should make ANOTHER MORE EXPENSIVE card they don't need?

Market saturation. Use resources you already have to claim a bigger market share. The whole maxwell line has been so successful starting with the 750. A last hurrah. AMD has pushed this "Use what you already have" thing quite well with their r2 and r3 series.

The mainstream buyers aren't guys like us. Millions of buyers go to frys or Amazon and not bargain sites like us. They are mom's and dad's buying video cards for their game loving kids and see a plus 300 price tag for a 970. If Nvidia released one last rehash on maxwell before pascal it can be a nice grab for an upgrade.

I agree with the sentiment it's not needed. But I also recognize a guy like me who is a Power user is actually the worst target market possible for companies like Nvidia and amd. They make money in volume and thus why the 970 and 960 have been successes IMHO

I did photography for HiRez Studios who released smite. About 50% of the people who attended their world tournament were parents who wanted their kids to have fun. They were obviously willing to spend a little bit for their child to be happy but talking to them made me realize that like me I couldn't exactly spend $350 on my child's hobby for a video card plus the install fee. $200 ish is a lot more reasonable. What it did make me realize is a majority market share, or the people who are being aimed at aren't guys like us. Yeah we do occasionally get products advertised to us, but the main meat of the market is the volume consumer. While I don't exactly think a 960ti would be all of a sudden be the holy grail of a release, I think it would actually make more money than a Low Tier/Mid Tier Pascal release as of this point since the 950 came out.

Last edited:
Back