GTX 880 and 800 Series to be More Powerful But Cheaper than the 700 Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
any idea what the launch price for the 880 is going to be? 650 like the 780 or 500 like the 4, 5, and 680?

Well:
https://twitter.com/NVIDIA_UK/status/489783801972023296

44276f4e2e738b3000e6f3fb3550b240.png

Game on NV might mean Game on Nvidia Hardware. And this is not about shield! NV might show off 800 earlier than I thought...

Shield has its own announcement. "The Ultimate is Coming" countdown is for Shield.

Last edited:
I hope so, I really want to get a new video card before the fall games start coming out. The 680 just doesn't cut it at 4k lol

I know im excited. Its been past time for me to retire my 480's. Even if the performance difference is not substantial over the 700's, I will be upgrading.

This is the shield announcement?
http://ultimate.nvidia.eu/en-gb

Most likely. We know the next Shield is already in the works and I doubt they'd start talking about a next-gen GPU on a Friday. Usually that stuff happens early in the week. However, if you were wanting a product to gain as much needed attention as possible you'd have it be the last story on every tech site on a Friday so it'll be seen on Saturday and Sunday almost exclusively everywhere.

I have to admit that I do not see the point in a gaming tablet except for things like Angry Birds and Candy Crush or whatever. The form factor is awful for other types of games.

Having a wireless controller to your tablet seems... I dunno. I think I'll bite my tongue on this one.

If NVIDIA wants to impress us, how about a Tegra-based Steam Machine? Or a Tegra-based HTPC w/ H.265 decoders? I dunno... something that's actually valuable.

I have to admit that I do not see the point in a gaming tablet except for things like Angry Birds and Candy Crush or whatever. The form factor is awful for other types of games.

Having a wireless controller to your tablet seems... I dunno. I think I'll bite my tongue on this one.

If NVIDIA wants to impress us, how about a Tegra-based Steam Machine? Or a Tegra-based HTPC w/ H.265 decoders? I dunno... something that's actually valuable.

why?
you can stream to the tablet
just plug the thing in to your tv and instant steambox
and it can do all that other stuff too

I'm going to hold out judgement on the new shield tablet, but if they can make streaming over lte working decently for everything besides fps. Then i may just have to purchase one of these for gaming on the go.

Well:
https://twitter.com/NVIDIA_UK/status/489783801972023296

44276f4e2e738b3000e6f3fb3550b240.png

Game on NV might mean Game on Nvidia Hardware. And this is not about shield! NV might show off 800 earlier than I thought...

Shield has its own announcement. "The Ultimate is Coming" countdown is for Shield.

I would guess that the ultimate countdown is for a new laptop and that the tweet is for the shield. A swedish site(sweclockers) confirmed that the shield would come in August tho that might mean in stock in August and not released.

Edit: Same site later also confirmed that more info on the shield would be here tuesday which match the ultimate countdown. So the tweet meaning remains unkown.
Another ultimate related: http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/07/18/uq/ some "ultimate" competition

Last edited:
While I fully think that Charlie Demerjian is a total crank, I have to admit I'm getting a bit worried about nvidia. They seem to be getting distracted by some of these idiotic products that are maybe a little bit cool but can't possibly carry the company.

Meanwhile, the fact is, everybody knows that the entire universe is moving towards CPU+GPU like Intel's IGP or AMD's APU... and where is nvidia? Instead of scaling Tegra up -- way up -- they're working on 8" tablets and selling them for $400?

It feels like in the blink of an eye we moved from 6 month product cycles to 12, currently 18 and quickly approaching 24. Don't even know why they bother with refreshes at this point. Just go back to the old way of doing things and release the full thing.

Waiting 18-24 months for 20-25% improvement isn't impressive with 4K on the horizon.

Nvidia had to release Kepler Based SOC(aka, Tegra 1) in the first place, before moving to the next gen products.

That would be pretty cool, small box it like the NUC so it can be easily attached to most TV's.

They need to start getting their SoC's into phones, the K1 would be absolutely killer in a phone (on the battery too...).

Google Translate the tweets.

They're about anti-static bags with nvidia logos.

That's it.

Exactly! Those anti static bags are for next boxes for Geforce Based GPUs that come straight from Nvidia to reviewers.

They were giving them away in gift bags at the event and will possibly be included with certain Geforce GTX cards that you purchase.

Tweet translated:

Special logo antistatic aluminum deposition in gift bag that can be stored in a cool video card you have purchased the NVIDIA GTX series now [head office underground parts![I] Too bad it can not fit them large card length of the bag so 30cm![/I] It is the end as soon as I as I disappear!

So, these 30cm bags cant fit in the card!

For reference: gtx 780Ti has the length of 10.5 inch, which is 26.67 cm or 27 cm So the new card is longer than that! Although, I doubt it is the length which comes as a factor. Also, Colorful was demonstrating the new cooling for 880 which was ~5cm longer than 780. But, it was probably for their custom model.

Tweet translated:

For reference: gtx 780Ti has the length of 10.5 inch, which is 26.67 cm or 27 cm So the new card is longer than that! Although, I doubt it is the length which comes as a factor. Also, Colorful was demonstrating the new cooling for 880 which was ~5cm longer than 780. But, it was probably for their custom model.

You've been wrong on everything you've posted in this thread so far.

Why would they make an anti-static bag for their new cards and it doesn't even fit their new cards? It's just a mixed-up computerized translation to mean that it can't fit any theoretical cards beyond 30cm.

Tweet translated:

How in the heck would they OK an anti-static bag as a teaser for an upcoming card that won't even fit in the damn bag? That just seems incredibly dumb.

Not sure if I get them using these as a promo or gift for current cards either. I want my card packaged and shipped in an anti-static bag, not something I'm going to do after the fact (unless put away for storage, or something).

Very weird, whatever the intent.

They're Japanese of course it's weird.
Maybe Japan has a weird anti-static bag fetish? Point is, we don't know. Different cultures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back