GTX 880 and 800 Series to be More Powerful But Cheaper than the 700 Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man for some reason the 7xx series seems to me that it's been out for way to long way to long, I am gonna wait for the 880 pop it in to replace my aging 480's. and hopefully go back to playing on native 5760x1200 :cool:.

Because it's hella long in the tooth. If you look at things like TaintedSquirrel pointed out below, the Titan came out in February 2013 and everything has really just been a snipped version of the same chip, or one that was fully cooked with all its cores. Not even re-branding in a good way. The only good cards that came from Nvidia were the GTX 660 and GTX 780 when the price dropped to $500.

The entire 700 Series was just rehashed 600 cards. The 750/750Ti's only recently dropped and Maxwell, the 5 year long hyped architecture, still seems to be another 6-9 months away. I can only think of how much worse it would have been if the GK110 was the GTX 680 like many think it should have been all along. That chips delay most likely happened because of yield issues which ultimately lead to the Titan in the first place.

It has been too long... Both Nvidia and AMD have only released two new GPU's since Q1 2012.
290/290x, 780/780 Ti. Maybe put the Titan in there. Technically one GPU depending how you look at it.

Sad.

This. I'm on the side that claims "1".

Part of me is eager to get an 870 but the other part of me doesn't actually play any games that would need it. I think I've just lost interest with the big AAA releases and I'm not seeing anything on the horizon that has me excited.

I might actually end up doing something completely irrational like buy an 870 for temperature or power efficiency reasons.

Because it's hella long in the tooth. If you look at things like TaintedSquirrel pointed out below, the Titan came out in February 2013 and everything has really just been a snipped version of the same chip, or one that was fully cooked with all its cores.
It's even worse than that if you think about it...

The GK110 core (same one used on the GTX Titan) was being produced, in mass quantity, as of August 2011. First installations of GK110-based parts into the Titan supercomputer began in October 2011.

So one of the fastest single GPU's currently available is a design that has been kicking around since the second half of 2011...

arrrg why 256bits?? i like bigger numbers!!!! just kidding. 4GB standard and 780ti performance while being cooler is all good. Only if it priced sensibly of course, but what are the chances of that?

You think they'd put a year between the 780 Ti and the "GTX 880" just to match its performance?
It's Maxwell's first high-end debut. You can bet your ass it's going to be faster than the 780 Ti or Nvidia is going to embarrass themselves. Anything less than 10% faster than the 780 Ti for $500 and it's a failure.

Plus it'll look even worse if AMD manages to surpass the 780 Ti with their new cards.

The relevant link is in my post.

I did not take it from WCCF tech. Those 2 are different sites.

Yes, of course they are. Was just pointing out an article that was actually discussing the unannotated link you posted.

So.. how do we actually know that the GM200 loadboard isn't just another shipment of GM200 1600x900 monitor parts, like the ones listed earlier in the link you posted?

GM200FGE2060S LCM,20,M200FGE-L23,1600*900(TFT LCD MODULE) (PARTS FOR MONITOR)

Yes, of course they are. Was just pointing out an article that was actually discussing the unannotated link you posted.

So.. how do we actually know that the GM200 loadboard isn't just another shipment of GM200 1600x900 monitor parts, like the ones listed earlier in the link you posted?

It does not say monitor parts anymore.

Loadboard differs from a monitor part.

Last edited:
Loadboard differs from a monitor part.

Could be referring to a PCB, or to a method of shipping..

A load board is defined as a printed circuit-board assembly that is used to route all of the tester resources to a central point that then allows the DUT to perform during its test time.

A loadboard, otherwise known as a freight board, is an online dispatch/match services that allows a shipper (the consignor) to post, to a forum board, any available freight they may have for the day..

Dunno. Just really hoping it's Maxwell :)

Now that's some good info/rumors to whet my appetite, thanks!

So.. 20nm 512-bit Maxwell 880 w/ARM cores is dropping on July 16th for $650?? Sounds good to me! :D

edit: coffee is killing me.

PS: Something I have not mentioned anywhere: 880 is an Enterprise Edition with 8 cores, the normal (Gaming) edition will have less.

Last edited:
Arm cores?

r u kitten me?

Meow. Project Denver..

Nvidia Corp. will integrate general-purpose ARM processing core(s) into a chip that belongs to Maxwell family of graphics processing units (GPUs), the company revealed in an interview. The Maxwell-generation chip will be the first commercial physical implementation of Nvidia's project Denver and will also be the company's first accelerated processing unit (APU).

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20110119204601_Nvidia_Maxwell_Graphics_Processors_to_Have_Integrated_ARM_General_Purpose_Cores.html

Ahh it's this moment when we pretend $550 radeon 7970 never happened :D

Yep, seems to be what we do. :p

Both companies will price at what they think they can get from people for their product... it's business. I don't know why anyone begrudges either company for trying to profit, that's kind of the point of their existence ;). Nvidia knows they can get X, they charge X. AMD thinks they can get Y, they charge Y. It's pretty silly to see people going on and on about how AMD is benevolent or nVidia is malevolent for charging what people will pay.

They also already pulled the article. Link in your quote is dead :D

Nah, I broke the link in my quote so as not to give them more google linkscore ;).

Can't knock em for trying to find something to talk about. :) Computer parts are very boring right now. Just a bunch of rehashed product lines. I think I'm going to build a home theater or buy some furniture.

Oh, I don't knock them at all, it's great that they're actively looking for new rumors/information to post! I just think it's ridiculous to post things that you saw elsewhere as news, with no source or credit mentioned at all.

Oh, I don't knock them at all, it's great that they're actively looking for new rumors/information to post! I just think it's ridiculous to post things that you saw elsewhere as news, with no source or credit mentioned at all.

Yes, I've noticed that WCCFTECH is mentioning the source less and less lately. I try to give them their due by mentioning that I saw it on their website first when I post. But it is disheartening when they don't do the same and I have to track down the original source myself.

Now that's some good info/rumors to whet my appetite, thanks!

So.. 20nm 512-bit Maxwell 880 w/ARM cores is dropping on July 16th for $650?? Sounds good to me! :D

i like that date its in my step up window still (just)...

I highly doubt NVIDIA would price their 8xx series cheaper than their 7xx series especially if its going to be more powerful, I mean, they are already charging more than $1K for their flagship series, but who knows.

max settings crysis 3 8x MSAA at 4K with a minimum framerate of 60 on a single gpu? lolwat?

7970 was 15-25% faster than the 580 @ launch
780 was 22% faster than a 7970Ghz card @ launch, so not really.

it's not good / evil. NV will price what their card at what they think they can get, so will AMD.

This! So much this. Remember when the 4870 came out vs. the GTX 280? The 280 was a bit more powerful but it was also twice the price. They drastically cut their prices to remain competitive.

Same thing happened with the 7970 (as someone who bought at $550). The second the nvidia 680 came out they sliced the prices by $100. Both companies need each other for competition or else they'll just charge whatever they want.

I highly doubt NVIDIA would price their 8xx series cheaper than their 7xx series especially if its going to be more powerful, I mean, they are already charging more than $1K for their flagship series, but who knows.
Has happened before, and in grand fashion.

Remember what happened when the GeForce 6 series launched? GeForce 6600GT came out for $150 and was faster than the fastest and most-expensive cards of the previous generation.

Does anybody know if NVIDIA is going to support HDMI 2.0? for their next generation? (Or AMD too) I need a GPU that has HDMI 2.0 support because I just bought a 4K TV and I would prefer to have 60Hz at 4K.

Does anybody know if NVIDIA is going to support HDMI 2.0? for their next generation? (Or AMD too) I need a GPU that has HDMI 2.0 support because I just bought a 4K TV and I would prefer to have 60Hz at 4K.

The TV doesn't have Display Port? The 1.3 spec handles 4k @ 60hz no problem and is already available on the 600 and 700 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back