GTX 880 and 800 Series to be More Powerful But Cheaper than the 700 Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope they make an announcement soon, and that the stock memory is greater than 3GB. Found out last week that my SLI'd Titans are pretty much useless in my system thanks to Microsoft, so I'm back to using a 680 FTW.

700 series is a rip off I feel ripped off for buying a 670 FTW in June 2012 for 400.00
If you think your getting a good deal you're not =)

I upgraded from a 550ti which I didn't know wasn't all that great bit it was good enough for Duke Nukem Forever at the time and Rift.

How is 700 series exactly a ripoff? The products all seem to fall right in line with pricing expectations. :confused: Do you want a GTX-770 for $200?

I just hope they make an announcement soon, and that the stock memory is greater than 3GB. Found out last week that my SLI'd Titans are pretty much useless in my system thanks to Microsoft, so I'm back to using a 680 FTW.

How are they pretty much useless? Could you elaborate on that? I'm curious. :)

In short: I'd just love the 880 be as epic as 8800GTX or 280 GTX were at their release :)

How are they pretty much useless? Could you elaborate on that? I'm curious. :)

After plenty of back and forth with EVGA and even two RMAs for an issue I have been having with games "blanking" the screen after 10-20 minutes, I was told this:

There is a known issue with Windows 8.1 and overclocked cards. Windows update KB2919355 [Update 1] causes instability issues with higher end 700 series cards like the 780, 780Ti, and Titans.

Microsoft is supposed to be working on a fix for this. As to when it will be available, there is no ETA on that. As an unofficial fix that some people have found to work, but we cannot officially support, flashing the card's BIOS to a stock reference model seems to help in some cases. Try this at your own risk though, as we do not support flashing the BIOS of this card. If something were to happen to the card with the non-stock BIOS on it and you were not able to flash it back, it may void the warranty on the card. It's a rare occurrence, but it can happen.

So...two freshly refurbished TITAN SC cards are sitting on my desk, while a 750Ti is driving my primary PC until MS decides to resolve this issue.

After plenty of back and forth with EVGA and even two RMAs for an issue I have been having with games "blanking" the screen after 10-20 minutes, I was told this:

There is a known issue with Windows 8.1 and overclocked cards. Windows update KB2919355 [Update 1] causes instability issues with higher end 700 series cards like the 780, 780Ti, and Titans.

Microsoft is supposed to be working on a fix for this. As to when it will be available, there is no ETA on that. As an unofficial fix that some people have found to work, but we cannot officially support, flashing the card's BIOS to a stock reference model seems to help in some cases. Try this at your own risk though, as we do not support flashing the BIOS of this card. If something were to happen to the card with the non-stock BIOS on it and you were not able to flash it back, it may void the warranty on the card. It's a rare occurrence, but it can happen.

So...two freshly refurbished TITAN SC cards are sitting on my desk, while a 750Ti is driving my primary PC until MS decides to resolve this issue.

why don't you just revert to 7? lol.

In short: I'd just love the 880 be as epic as 8800GTX or 280 GTX were at their release :)

8800GTX was 60-70% faster than the 7800GTX, GTX 280 was about 80-90% faster than the 9800GTX which was a refresh of the 8800GTX, the 780Ti is 50-60% faster than the 680 which is not the full blown chip.

So a full blown Maxell being maybe 2 times faster than the 780Ti is nothing new. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Edit: Just to make it more clear the 780Ti is a full kepler compared with a 580 a full fermi, the Ti is 2.5-3 times faster depending on the game.

Last edited:
8800GTX was 60-70% faster than the 7800GTX, GTX 280 was about 80-90% faster than the 9800GTX which was a refresh of the 8800GTX, the 780Ti is 50-60% faster than the 680 which is not the full blown chip.

So a full blown Maxell being maybe 2 times faster than the 780Ti is nothing new. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Edit: Just to make it more clear the 780Ti is a full kepler compared with a 580 a full fermi, the Ti is 2.5-3 times faster depending on the game.

But you are not talking about actual in game performance, surely? Like frames per second. I've been in NVIDIA's camp since 8800GTX because it trounced the AMD card at the time. 780ti is 2.5 times faster than 580 in game?

Is this going to be a DX12 card?

why don't you just revert to 7? lol.

I used all my spare copies of 7 in builds I did for friends, and I kinda prefer 8...this happens to be the first problem I've had with this OS.

As for downclocking, I tried it, but it didn't help. Something about how the vBIOS reports to the system. I could try doing a vBIOS flash to "stock", but I don't wanna screw the cards up.

Buuuut...staying on topic...still hoping we hear an announcement soon.

Well 880 likely won't be the full Maxwell, previous rumors have indicated it is going to be a cut-down chip. We likely won't see big Maxwell until the 900 series... similar to 680 -> 780.

As for the 8.1 causing issues with overclocking on the Titan, mine works fine. I don't think I've applied that update though.

I expect "full" maxwell to be released with the new titan successor.

I had 2 x 8800GTX s in SLI and they bluescreened a lot. I mostly blame Vista. Here's to better working tech!

I used all my spare copies of 7 in builds I did for friends, and I kinda prefer 8...this happens to be the first problem I've had with this OS.

As for downclocking, I tried it, but it didn't help. Something about how the vBIOS reports to the system. I could try doing a vBIOS flash to "stock", but I don't wanna screw the cards up.

Buuuut...staying on topic...still hoping we hear an announcement soon.

you could just uninstall the update.

Why are they useless? Really curious.

I don't think Nvidia is stupid enough to dust off the "FX" label again.
Although I prefer Ultra over Ti.

GTX 780 Ultra.
Hell yes.

waiting for the [H] review. Until then................pfffffffffffffffffffffft!

Why are they useless? Really curious.

See my previous post.

you could just uninstall the update.

I could use a Win 8 or base 8.1 disc, but MS made Update 1 a requirement for future updates, so any fix down the line would still require Update 1 to be installed first. Also, I did a refresh on the system with a Win 8.1 Update 1 disc, so I can't uninstall it.

What I'm finding a little aggravating is that this issue is apparently well known with support techs at both nvidia and evga, but neither have been talking about it publicly.

I'm kinda tired of all this speculation and crap, can we just get on with the real numbers for the upcoming cards, both performance and more importantly how much they are going to cost? I am going to be building a new rig (finally) in October and right now am looking at dual 780TI's but if the 8xx series are a good price I will get 2 of those instead...

So are the cards actually coming in October? I can't seem to find a solid report on it. I can build my rig in September, but I'm holding off for their release (and then their non-reference release) which would allow me to build by December. If I'm waiting any longer than that, I'll just grab a 780ti and just build.

I'm hoping for an announcement soon, too. I've been playing the hell out of a bunch of games so I can't exactly sell my GTX680, but if I had a timeframe I could at least plan ahead.
I honestly don't like that video cards tend to get announced one day and "soft" released at the same time. Give me an announcement followed by a store date a few weeks (or even months) later like every other piece of tech.

They won't announce anything because dummies are still snatching up over-priced GTX 770's and 780's. The day Nvidia makes an announcement, the sales stop.
Cha-ching.

They won't announce anything because dummies are still snatching up over-priced GTX 770's and 780's. The day Nvidia makes an announcement, the sales stop.
Cha-ching.

That's not factoring in that Nvidia slows or drops production off months ahead of time to maintain the pricing on old cards. One of the reasons why it takes almost until the 3rd generation later for cards of one generation to finally drop to really high levels.

Nvidia doesn't lower prices even if they should (700 Series vs R9 2xx). They're an exotic manufacturer, not a mainstream one.

I don't think Nvidia is stupid enough to dust off the "FX" label again.
Although I prefer Ultra over Ti.

GTX 780 Ultra.
Hell yes.

imo i think its time nVidia got a new name for there consumer line GeForce has been now since the 90's
same with AMD drop the Radeon name

I'm kinda tired of all this speculation and crap, can we just get on with the real numbers for the upcoming cards, both performance and more importantly how much they are going to cost?

Oh yeah totally. We were just waiting for someone to ask for the real numbers before we started talking about them.

:rolleyes:

Yikes tough call here. I've put off building a system for awhile now. Can't see ponying up for a 290X or 780ti with this so close. Maybe I'll hold off to go all in on this or AMD's answer...

Yikes tough call here. I've put off building a system for awhile now. Can't see ponying up for a 290X or 780ti with this so close. Maybe I'll hold off to go all in on this or AMD's answer...

Yeah, it's a tough time. With the 800's coming out, the release of DDR4, 4K monitors becoming available...

I bought one of the early 1440p IPS monitors for a hefty premium. Then everyone started getting those grey market ones and then the mainstream ones came out, all of which were priced way lower than mine ... aaaand I remembered I'm generally not an early adopter hah.

4K's are sorta out ... I feel it's only a matter of time until they become reasonably priced, even for the nicer panels. I think that's when I will go nuts with a new build...

And of course new GPU hardware would be needed for 4K. Most of what I have read suggests SLI 780 Ti's.

I've always wanted an excuse to do a really well done (read: pretty) liquid cooling rig.

Of course when all this crap comes out I'll probably be writing a post about how it's great and all but in a few months it will be cheaper so time to build then. :eek:

No real sense in speculating until we see the price for sure. I would be surprised if these are less than 650

GTX 280 was about 80-90% faster than the 9800GTX which was a refresh of the 8800GTX
I'd just like to point out that the 9800GTX probably isn't the best basis for comparison for that generation. As far as performance goes, it's just an overclocked 8800GTS 512MB. Kinda weak..

The 8800 Ultra is faster than the 8800 GTX, 9800 GTX, 9800 GTX+, and GTS 250. Basically, you have to look allll the way up the scale to the GTX 260 to find a card that's legitimately faster than the 8800 Ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back