GTX 780/Titan Owners, are you jumping ship to 290X?

Jumping ship

• Total voters
I don't have either, but I'm familiar with them and have gamed on them. Seems like a prime time to wait for the next generation IMO.

780 owner here. Why would I jump? The 290X wouldn't be an improvement over the numbers I can hit now, it would be a sidegrade with more heat and power consumption. I'm hoping it kicks off a price war, but that doesn't mean I need to switch. It's not like my 780 stopped working at 12:01 AM.

I'll buy whichever card is best for me at the time I'm ready to buy. If that's Nvidia, then it's Nvidia; if it's AMD, then it's AMD. But the 290X isn't compelling me to drop my 780 at all, and I think that supposition is a little silly.

I'm eager to see how Maxwell stacks up, and maybe the 290X's price will compel Nvidia to lower the ceiling on the Maxwell line.

Waiting to see what Ti is all about, then probably swapping to that for basically nothing out of pocket. Not interested in the 290X at all.

I'd like to change my vote...after seeing an OCed 290 v an OCed 780, and the heat, noise and power....I'll wait for the ti's thank you very much.

as much as I could use a new space heater in my room I will have to pass. :D

Truthfully heat/noise are not the reasons I say pass on these cards. To me performance would be a down/side grade at best. Just my opinion.

I chose the last option because I have no plans to make a switch from my 780. I also have no intention of waiting for the next specifically nvidia card, the 290x just isn't a compelling reason to up/(side?)grade.

I think AMD kind of missed the boat here. Anyone willing to drop $500+ on a GPU probably bought a 780 when they came out, and the 290x doesn't offer enough of an increase in performance to justify the hassle of swapping, at least to me at 1600P. Now, if I had a 4k display capable of decent refresh rates, I might consider dumping a 780 to go with 2x 290x's.

Staying with the Titan. Why not just enjoy the cards now guys? Not like the 290X is vastly superior or something. I'll wait to see what Mantle brings to the table.

Since I'm going with 4K pretty soon, I will switch my Titans for R9s.

Sorry Nvidia, but AMD is showing you how to do it properly with high end resolution gaming. Good price (half the price of a Titan), and 10-20% better performance at 4K with early drivers. :mad:

Would be great to hear from the guys actually making the switch once they get their cards in :).

Love my 780, not the greatest clocker but does 1100mhz easily on stock volts and is the quietest and coolest reference card I have ever owned, very happy with it since launch. It would be a sidegrade at best for me anyway and the only thing that would make me switch is a cool and quiet running 290x THATS IF mantle makes a huge difference in bf4 and thats if I play it a lot.

I bought a cheap GTX 680 to hold me out until Maxwell releases for my upcoming Ncase M1 build.
Plan on using Asus Impact mbo and a 4770k combined with Maxwell in a ITX enclosure should be pretty epic.

Wont leave Nvidia for AMD however, I may fire sell my Titans for the 780ti. Depends on specs.

This forum has Titan /780/ 780ti love
REASON WHY ? Unless you owned one of these cards and saw the 290x reviews , you know that yes Amd is a contender but no our cards weren't being pushed as hard. lets redo the reviews and give the Nvidia owners a 95c threshold with a modest 1100 mhz , air cooled and test.

This forum has Titan /780/ 780ti love
REASON WHY ? Unless you owned one of these cards and saw the 290x reviews , you know that yes Amd is a contender but no our cards weren't being pushed as hard. lets redo the reviews and give the Nvidia owners a 95c threshold with a modest 1100 mhz , air cooled and test.

this is how i felt
if you let NV free to push the temps an noise like AMD has
and then to push a refresh ala 780 Ti well the 780Ti if it can clock up to 1Ghz or more will be 10% faster then the 290x for not much more

the Titan also has lower temp profile since its again a 'prosumer' level card that needs to go in workstations with less then the best cooling around

Unless you've got a 4k resolution display I don't think there is any reason to switch.

I'm still a bit curious to see how well the 290X can handle eyefinity. Recently one of my friends expressed an interest in grabbing one of these for his system.

Staying with the 780 mainly due to G-sync. If it lives up to the hype from the demo, buying a G-sync monitor when they become available. If all holds true, this is the biggest innovation in years. A few measly frames more is nothing compared to no stuttering or tearing.

The requirement of having to fully replace that reference cooler already eliminates AMD's one advantage - price.

Literally no desire at all to make a side-grade :p
Maybe when AMD refreshes the 290X to something with considerably lower power consumption and a far superior heatsink/cooler will it even be a consideration.

I have a 780 and will not be jumping. But that doesn't mean I might not buy a 290 at some point because I have multiple computers. Just depends on if I see a smoking deal that I can't pass up.

I am very glad the 290 came because honestly I feel NVidia has been abusing us, the prices are just a little to steep. $1000 for titan well no one has to tell you that was outrageous. But $650 for the 780 was also too high it should have been $499 for the 780 and $650 for the titan IMO. I really think the highest end single card in anyones lineup should not be more than $500.

I have a 780 and will not be jumping. But that doesn't mean I might not buy a 290 at some point because I have multiple computers. Just depends on if I see a smoking deal that I can't pass up.

I am very glad the 290 came because honestly I feel NVidia has been abusing us, the prices are just a little to steep. $1000 for titan well no one has to tell you that was outrageous. But $650 for the 780 was also too high it should have been $499 for the 780 and $650 for the titan IMO. I really think the highest end single card in anyones lineup should not be more than $500.

Agree, although the practice of overcharging for something only happens because of the people willing to pay for it. The titan is an extreme example.

I will avoid AMD cards at all cost. I would go 780Ti before I would sell my Titans for a 290X.

4K is where the AMD advantage lies, but 60Hz 4K isn't affordable just yet.
By this time next year, if affordable 60Hz 4K monitors are available, Nv will have Maxwell ready to go.

I see no reason to switch.

Yes! Affordable 4k will be the game changer excuse the pun. By then Nvidia will have cards that deliver performance for higher resolution needs.

Waiting on some type of Korean cheapo 4k monitor or Monoprice variant.

I see no compelling reason to switch if you already have a Titan. Even though this is [H] not to many of us are Vega with 80 bajillion pixels to push. How many of us have triple 24" vs 30"? I'm not changing monitors until that new NV tech G-Sync comes out.

Agreed, when the 7000 series hit the shelves they came with the WORST drivers i've EVER seen in my life. And with bad, i do mean absolutely horrifyingly bad.
I've never had my computer lock up on my as much as they did then.

And that's not even the worst part. The worst part is that it took them nearly a full fucking year to fix their shit. When i bought the cards they came with the 11.12 drivers who, officially, didn't even support the damn card. Let alone 2 in crossfire.

Now that i've gotten that out of my system i must say that they've been doing a decent job with their latest drivers.
Finally getting around to implementing frame pacing and whatnot.

Same,
staying with titan SLI. I went with 7970 crossfire when it was launched and got burnt bad. F you AMD.

Remember when 7970 launched, we were using beta drivers for like 3 months?

Well, R9 290X certainly is an irrelevant card for 780 owners considering the price drop. Time to SLi if you haven't done already. :D.

Well, R9 290X certainly is an irrelevant card for 780 owners considering the price drop. Time to SLi if you haven't done already. :D.

I'm thinking about it. Anyone know if you can SLI two different brands as long as they're reference design?

I'd consider the 290x a downgrade from a Titan. At my rez a decent number of games are very close to the 4GB vram mark and some even go over a bit so why get a card that's already tapped out and going to choke.

Plus, three titans overclocked and with the voltage bumped up are usually running at like 75c on the stock cooler....I'd imagine the R9 would be absolutely scorching in trifire even not overclocked. It's a good price-performance card and bad at everything else, and even the performance isn't that great when you consider the time frame of its release. THIS long just to trade blows with a Titan?

wow some of you do some dumbass things IMO. oc both the 780 and 290x and the 780 comes out on top at 2560 and below. and without out all the noise, heat and power consumption. heck the power consumption when ocing the 290x is beyond laughable.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290X/31.html

AMD's stock cooler is completely overwhelmed with the heat output of the card during voltage tweaking, though. Even at 100%, it could barely keep the card from overheating and was noisier than any cooler I've ever experienced.

Power draw also increases immensely, going from just above 400 W for the whole system to around 650 W!

and what part of your brain has to be poked with a coat hanger for 290x crossfire to sound like a good idea?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290X_CrossFire/23.html

Yet it's tough to recommend R9 290X CrossFire because it's anything but quiet. No matter whether you use the "Quiet" or "Uber" BIOS, they're both unbearably loud when properly loaded and not recommendable for setups in which you rely on speakers, no matter how punchy they are. Their noise output can even potentially affect your gameplay in online multi-player games where you can hear out your enemies.

I don't know. The benchmarks at legitreviews show a stock 290X beating several highly overclocked GTX 780 cards. With that being said, I agree with you on the noise part. I don't like that aspect at all, and AMD definitely cut corners there. And with the 780 being 50$ cheaper, it's a more tempting buy for sure than the 290X. I think Linus benchmarked some games with the 780OC having an edge, but other websites show the stock 290X having an edge. As ALWAYS, this depends highly on WHICH game is being benchmarked.

Basically, the OC vs OC performance you point out isn't clear-cut. The 290X is definitely winning against many 780 OC cards even at stock. But that still doesn't take away from the fact that the cooler used on it is a POS - no way would I ever go for a 290X with that thing. I'm 100% with you on that point. I'm also with you on the point - who the fuck would want to trade a 780OC for a 290X? I don't think anyone of sound mind would do that. Or I hope not.

Last edited:
well I guess looking at something like the EVGA 780 ACX which is already faster than the Titan out of the box and has more overclocking headroom than the 290x. basically TPU took the EVGA 780 ACX and still achieved 11% more performance while the 290x only had 7% performance increase when oced. considering that particular 780 would already match or beat the 290x at 2560 or below then I think many other 780s would too if both are oced. in the Linus review, he easily got better performance at 1080 with the oced 780 as opposed to the oced 290x. at 2560, the 780 oced was just a miniscule bit faster than the oced 290x. again though the power consumption, noise and heat go through the roof though when ocing the 290x while the 780 is still cool and quiet.

Basically, you're wrong and seeing what you want to see. LR actually tested the SC ACX and it was actually slower than the 290X in most of the tests, and the 290X was at stock clockspeeds.

I realize you want to hate on the 290X and all of that, and that's completely cool, that's not what the tests showed at LR - they tested the SC ACX specifically. Anyway, like I said. That doesn't make the 290X a great card with all things considered, I agree with you fully on that. I do think there's some confirmation bias on your end skewing your opinion, but i'm just saying the performance advantage to the 780OC (your claim) isn't necessarily the case. As always, this varies on a per game basis. The 780OC definitely still wins some, but this is with the 290X at stock.

Also i'm with you on the noise and power issues. Don't disagree. The 780OC is a better buy considering it's cheaper.

Back