GTX 780/Titan Owners, are you jumping ship to 290X?

Jumping ship

• Total voters

KickAssCop

[H]F Junkie
Just wondering if anyone is going to be making the switch. I am quite content with GTX 780 SLi and would rather not face driver issues and frame pacing problems (no guarantee that it will be fixed in the 290X series). Also, I like to have my games working on the day of release rather than waiting for 1-2 months (especially for CFX support).

So, anyone jumping ship?

Before you guys run around and call me an nV fanboy etc, I have owned 4 generations of AMD cards (4870 - 7970) and only recently jumped ship last year to a GTX 670 SLi setup and never looked back.

Thoughts?

I see which one farts the loudest and smells the worst...that brand will have the best performance, then they will get my money.

I'll probably hold this titan down for awhile, but I would jump ship if the new card out performs this one by a decent margin. The only reason I am hesitant about switching over is because I use cuda for the adobe suite, which I would have to give up for an amd card.

haha.. excellent. No, I definitely use CS6 but went with a nvidia card and assumed amd wouldn't be of much use in that area. Thanks for the info raven, I'll keep AMD in mind when something better then the titan shows up.

Playing the waiting game

This pretty much, at least with my Nvidia hardware. Holding out with GTX 670's until new stuff hits.
As for stuff with GTX 780's. Probably not move them out.
The 7950's however, those will get swapped out for something better I am sure.

The difference would have to be pretty severe, i've had such bad experience with ATI/AMD drivers and cross fire and the like it would take ALOT for me to give them another shot

Why in the world would any Titan owner switch? The 290X is reportedly 600$ while trading blows with Titan. I don't think a Titan owner would upgrade except for a 20%+ performance increase, which even by the most optimistic OC'ing efforts will not happen with the 290X. More than likely, the 290X will trade blows with Titan. Possibly even or with the Titan winning 6-7 out of 10 tests. (just estimating).

The exciting prospect is for someone in the market for a new GPU - possible price cuts, and a new GPU with excellent performance. Existing Titan owners? Not so much. Why would they switch? I just can't see it.

It might still be worth it to upgrade if Mantle gets more than 20% performance increase in games like BF4 etc.

It might still be worth it to upgrade if Mantle gets more than 20% performance increase in games like BF4 etc.

I like the concept of Mantle and I think it's great that AMD is adding value features as nvidia has (with physx and what not). That said, it's going to take some time for AMD to really leverage it, bf4 is one title and *maybe* more coming in 2014, but I can't see more than 3-4 titles using it overall in 2014. Like I said, though, I think AMD introducing Mantle is fantastic. Hopefully they can get it integrated into unreal engine and cryengine.

Yet, if I were a Titan owner I really doubt I would switch. Titan is a heck of a card and nvidia is working over time getting physx titles out there as well. So I guess it kinda balances out in terms of added features - Witcher 3 and COD: Ghosts will have physx effects from what i've heard. Should be interesting.

I guess the extreme hobbyists will consider the 290X if they already have a Titan, but I think the most exciting prospect is for new buyers. If the 290X is indeed 600$ while trading with Titan, I think that would be a heck of a deal and probably force NV price cuts. Then everyone wins. ;)

No. And anyone who selected "yes" in the poll, is stupid. 290X won't be a seizable upgrade over the 780, even with Mantle. The reasonable thing to do is to upgrade for 70+% performance.

Nope. My 780 does everything I want and does it very well. Only reason I upgraded to the 780 was because I had two 680 Lightnings (not SLI) fail on me within a span of less than three months. Figured I might as well try the latest instead of what kept failing. Been smooth gaming since the first installation.:)

Nope, I'm enjoying my titans ATM. Poll needs another choice such as Not worried.....

No. My GTX Titan is staying right where it is. Plenty of performance for the games that I play. I see no need to change for at least a couple of years.

Ummmm no....not getting rid of my Titans any time soon.

AMD lost me back when the 7970s launched. I had no idea a company could mess up driver releases so badly. Crossfire is terrible.....support sucks....

I'm not saying nVidia is the gold standard but the past few years they have been on the ball with driver releases and stability. No problems with frampacing or anything like PCPER.com found out about AMD.The worst part was AMD tried to cover it up and say there was no problem when everyone knew there was.

I'll stick with my GTX 780 HOF cards. Amazon says October 29th for their release of BF4 and videocardz.com suggests: " So which card is NVIDIA going to show (if any?). AMD wants to know that too, so this could’ve been another reason for the postponed launch."

AMD lost me back when the 7970s launched. I had no idea a company could mess up driver releases so badly. Crossfire is terrible.....support sucks....

I'm not saying nVidia is the gold standard but the past few years they have been on the ball with driver releases and stability. No problems with frampacing or anything like PCPER.com found out about AMD.The worst part was AMD tried to cover it up and say there was no problem when everyone knew there was.

Quoted for truth. AMD's marketing has been slimy, and drivers have been pretty poor for a long time now... again, not that nVidia is perfect either, but on the whole they are much better. Unless there were a significant advantage to be had for switching to an AMD card, I'll be hanging out (at least as a preference) with the green cards for the forseeable future. If AMD gets its act together ever and has a much better performer? I don't dislike them, I just want to buy what works, and if that eventually happens, of course I'd try them again ;).

I may look to upgrade to the R9 290x but only if there's a considerable performance advantage compared to my overclocked (TI bios, 1241/7000 @ 1.2v) GTX 780. I absolutely want these new AMD cards to do well; we benefit greatest when there's competition in the market place. I just hope they're priced attractively, get some third party coolers released soon, and Mantle pans out for more than just the frostbite engine.

Going to need some kind of significant performance AND price difference between the two manufacturers to get me to make the switch. I think that people are a little too giddy about Mantle and we haven't even seen enough (any?) real-word evidence that it's going to be very effective.

Agreed, when the 7000 series hit the shelves they came with the WORST drivers i've EVER seen in my life. And with bad, i do mean absolutely horrifyingly bad.
I've never had my computer lock up on my as much as they did then.

And that's not even the worst part. The worst part is that it took them nearly a full fucking year to fix their shit. When i bought the cards they came with the 11.12 drivers who, officially, didn't even support the damn card. Let alone 2 in crossfire.

Now that i've gotten that out of my system i must say that they've been doing a decent job with their latest drivers.
Finally getting around to implementing frame pacing and whatnot.

Looks like we all have an agreement :D.
P.S. With my current overclock my card already matches a stock overclocked Titan and usually surpasses it. No point now going out to do the same thing with an R9 290X unless it is about 20%+ faster in all games.

I dont mind AMD, but Nvidia just won my dollar this time around. When I bought my 780, AMD had nothing nearly as powerful. I was very happy with my gtx 660 before that, so I figured I might as well stick with the same company for this generation.

I'll wait till cards are manufactured to 20nm, until then I'm not even going to bother with AMD's or NVIDIA's latest cards, my GTX 670 in SLI is enough for today's gaming anyway.

I didn't vote because I am undecided. If the 290X has good CFX scaling and OC well, I just may swap my 780s out. I may wait to see how mantle pans out. BF4 is most likely going to take up 80%+ of my gaming time so, the swap may be in the cards if it brings me smoother performance.

Really any decent reason to upgrade is all I need right now, still waiting for something to make me swap out this i7 930. BF4 again may be what does it.

Nah, definitely not a [H]ardcore GPU enthusiast enough to play these musical chair games every 6 months like others. Having made the investment in a GTX 780 I'd rather just see that price come down so I can eventually SLI them. AMD's multi-GPU setups are one of their weakest selling points, for single GPU folk though it may be worth it to have the bleeding edge. Hell, you could probably gain better performance selling a GTX 780/TITAN and have some change in your pocket while upgrading to the R9-290 depending on the pricing.

I have two systems.
My older system is X58 with Crossfired 7970s.

I'm really wanting to upgrade the whole thing, so I'm considering a Maximus board, 4770K and a couple of the 290X GPUs.......

That's if the numbers are good over the 780s , if it looks like Crossfire has been improved and the GPUs aren't crazy expensive.

This "release" thing has bothered me alot......I'm not sure what AMD is being so secretive about......if their cards are so fucking crazy good, lets see the numbers. This latest stunt in montreal with the 4K monitors and two hand picked games is just bullshit.

Bring out some realistic EyeFinity or 30" stuff and have at it......maybe they just don't have the software ready?

I don't know, but I'm getting tired of the talk.

Last edited:
I have two systems.
My older system is X58 with Crossfired 7970s.

I'm really wanting to upgrade the whole thing, so I'm considering a Maximus board, 4770K and a couple of the 290X GPUs.......

That's if the numbers are good over the 780s , if it looks like Crossfire has been improved and the GPUs aren't crazy expensive.

This "release" thing has bothered me alot......I'm not sure what AMD is being so secretive about......if their cards are so fucking crazy good, lets see the numbers. This latest stunt in montreal with the 4K monitors and two hand picked games is just bullshit.

Bring out some realistic EyeFinity or 30" stuff and have at it......maybe they just don't have the software ready?

I don't know, but I'm getting tired of the talk.

I'm in the same boat. I bought a Titan for single-card smoothness but it's not enough to power 5760x1080 so I went back to my 2x 7970s and just sold mine to my brother. I think once the smoke clears and the numbers are out, it'll be a definite buy them simply because I have high hopes for their Mantle API.

Unless Mantle ends up being amazing and widespread, I don't really see why anyone would. Maybe if you're 4K gaming.

4K is where the AMD advantage lies, but 60Hz 4K isn't affordable just yet.
By this time next year, if affordable 60Hz 4K monitors are available, Nv will have Maxwell ready to go.

I see no reason to switch.

Back