GTX 780 OC vs R9 290 OC

GTX 780 OC or Rp 290 OC

• Total voters

Durvelle27

2[H]4U
I'm in a tight possession right now trying to decide which to go with. I was wondering if anybody knew how they compare to each other at the same clocks.Temps and noise don't matter to me as either will be under water.

My Options

Evga GTX 780 Classified (B1 Revision)

or

(xxxx) R9 290

Last edited:
Classy, overall better card, will clock higher. If you go for 290 DCII/TF, then 290.

Also it depends at what resolution you play, what games, what settings. For exreme IQ enthusiast like me 290's are no brainer.

I Play at 1080p highest settings if possible

BF3, Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, BF4, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider, Hitman AB, Batman AC etc.

My 290 at 1050mhz beats my old 780's at 1300mhz in just about everything.

My vote goes 290 only if you can pick it up for around 400. If your referring to the current amd 290 price hike to 500+ my vote goes to the 780

For balls-to-the-wall custom loop water-cooled overclocking, I'd recommend the R9 290, or 290X.

As much as I want to get a 290 right now as I see espcially under water a far supierior card, with the current AMD hikes, will just have to wait.

I got an MSI GTX 780 Lightning and that thing is fast. Gaming at 1920x1200 at 1300/6600 and with adaptive vsync games have never been so smooth. Batman AC/AO runs beautifully at max settings. Sometimes frames will dip to the 50s but its a consistent 85 for AC and AO all the way. I did some flying around the city in both games and it was a smooth experience. I'm Still doing some trial and error with the 780 and I can bench 1333/6600 scoring over 5200 in Firestrike Extreme. Great card.

Last edited:
I got an MSI GTX 780 Lightning and that thing is fast. Gaming at 1920x1200 at 1300/6600 and with adaptive vsync games have never been so smooth. Batman AC/AO runs beautifully at max settings. Sometimes frames will dip to the 50s but its a consistent 85 for AC and 60 for AO all the way. I did some flying around the city in both games and it was a smooth experience. I'm Still doing some trial and error with the 780 and I can bench 1333/6600 scoring over 5200 in Firestrike Extreme. Great card.

Thx for that. I thought about a MSI Lighting but i haven't seen many that clock very good

Here is a little comparison of overclocked cards for you, link the fps numbers and comparison are at the end. He also includes what the cards were clocked to in the description.
Right now it is probably better to go with Nvidia becasue of amd price hikes. The msi lightning can be had for $450 after rebate and massterpass coupon at newegg.
I personally had to make the same decision and I got a GTX 780 OC. It is a nice card.

GTX 780 primarily for nV specific features. If they don't mean anything to you then get the 290.

Here is a little comparison of overclocked cards for you, link the fps numbers and comparison are at the end. He also includes what the cards were clocked to in the description.
Right now it is probably better to go with Nvidia becasue of amd price hikes. The msi lightning can be had for $450 after rebate and massterpass coupon at newegg.
I personally had to make the same decision and I got a GTX 780 OC. It is a nice card.

No OC result for the 780 though

No OC result for the 780 though
He had the GTX 780 at 1110 core-clock,it was at the top of the benchmark list, you will be able to get a lot more on the msi lightning. I personally am not overclocking my 780 and never go under 60fps with max settings, so I'm happy.

He had the GTX 780 at 1110 core-clock,it was at the top of the benchmark list, you will be able to get a lot more on the msi lightning. I personally am not overclocking my 780 and never go under 60fps with max settings, so I'm happy.

Ahh didn't see it. I'll check out the video

I Play at 1080p highest settings if possible

BF3, Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, BF4, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider, Hitman AB, Batman AC etc.
yeah in the linustechtips 290x review even the oced 290x was slower than the oced 780 at 1080. And the oc they had on the 780 was not even very high. An oced 780 will easily be faster than an oced 290 at 1080.

GTX 780 at these prices. $500 for a 290 isn't worth it IMO.

Both heavily overclocked will perform about the same. The real question is how important certain Nvidia only features are to you (Adaptive V-Sync, G-Sync, PhysX, ShadowPlay, etc). The feature advantage for the R9 290 would be TrueAudio and Mantle whenever that comes out (although, Nvidia could eventually support Mantle since AMD made it open platform and not exclusive to AMD cards).

I was in the same boat as you and chose the GTX 780, why? First off I'm not watercooling so that made the decision quite easy for me (doesn't matter in your situation). However, the two features I had to have was G-Sync since my monitor will support it and ShadowPlay since I upload Youtube videos and Twitch support will be added which will benefit my streaming. My reference GTX 780 boosts to 1241MHz which puts it into GTX 780 Ti territory, and I've never seen the temperate get above 71°C on air with 78% fan speed.

Both heavily overclocked will perform about the same. The real question is how important certain Nvidia only features are to you (Adaptive V-Sync, G-Sync, PhysX, ShadowPlay, etc). The feature advantage for the R9 290 would be TrueAudio and Mantle whenever that comes out (although, Nvidia could eventually support Mantle since AMD made it open platform and not exclusive to AMD cards).

I was in the same boat as you and chose the GTX 780, why? First off I'm not watercooling so that made the decision quite easy for me (doesn't matter in your situation). However, the two features I had to have was G-Sync since my monitor will support it and ShadowPlay since I upload Youtube videos and Twitch support will be added which will benefit my streaming. My reference GTX 780 boosts to 1241MHz which puts it into GTX 780 Ti territory, and I've never seen the temperate get above 71°C on air with 78% fan speed.

Good post. Also of course there is the noise level... both heavily oc'd will indeed come to about the same performance, but, the difference in noise between an ACX GTX 780 and a reference 290 is like a low-RPM box fan vs. a power tool, when oc'ing. Add in the $60-70 worth of games you can sell (worth more if you play and were going to buy them anyway) and the extra features and I think the 780 is pretty readily the better buy here. Shadowplay is a major thing, for example, for anyone who likes to record gameplay.

Good post. Also of course there is the noise level... both heavily oc'd will indeed come to about the same performance, but, the difference in noise between an ACX GTX 780 and a reference 290 is like a low-RPM box fan vs. a power tool, when oc'ing. Add in the $60-70 worth of games you can sell (worth more if you play and were going to buy them anyway) and the extra features and I think the 780 is pretty readily the better buy here. Shadowplay is a major thing, for example, for anyone who likes to record gameplay.

The only games in the Bundle that i wouldn't mind playing is AC4 & Batman Arkham origins and yes i record gameplay footage

At this point in current market conditions, only reason to get a 290 is for mining. If not, the GTX 780 is better buy considering the 4 AAA title free games you get with the card :)

At this point in current market conditions, only reason to get a 290 is for mining. If not, the GTX 780 is better buy considering the 4 AAA title free games you get with the card :)

I have tried mining but its not important to me and i thought it was 3 games

Water Cooled R9 290 vs GTX 780 Showdown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqaHh-y51us&feature=youtu.be&a

interesting vid.
The only interesting thing about this video is how Linus still has a career.
If that's our go-to source for OC reviews then we're in sad shape.

This guy has shown Nvidia cards beating AMD in Tomb Raider across at least 3 separate reviews, including the 290x vs 780, at 1600p no less.
What the absolute fuck.

This guy has shown Nvidia cards beating AMD in Tomb Raider across at least 3 separate reviews, including the 290x vs 780, at 1600p no less.
What the absolute fuck.

HE knows his stuff and is been doing this for years. He has more things going for him than youtube videos lol. Who are you and what do you do to show otherwise? NOTHING that's right so STFU & GTFO.

I have a R9 290 @ R9 290X. 81% ASIC meaning low voltages and temperatures which is nice. But it still runs loud and overclocks really, really badly (1030/1250 @ stock voltages, after that it is simply not worth it)

I am trying to sell it. Don't get me wrong, it is a good card. Prices of reference 290 should drop soon. I bought it cheap and since it unlocked I am trying to make a profit on it... if it sells I am grabbing a 780 which seems to be a better card if you overclock.

What the absolute fuck.

I find this attitude to be ridiculous. When someone sees a result they don't like for the side they want to win, they chalk it up to the reviewer being disingenuous? It happens for HardOCP a lot as well. They're called AMD biased. HardAMD. Etc. Last gen H was called nvidia biased. I don't agree with that, but this happens to so many reviews sites - "my side didn't win therefore X review site is biased". Whatever man. I think the entire thing is stupid. Now I don't agree with all of the subjective views of reviewers, even here at H. But this entire biased thing? Ridiculous. Linus has more to lose by being dishonest than by being honest.

Just to be clear, the findings show that when both cards are overclocked to the maximum, the GTX 780 has more potential for OC'ed performance and better scaling. Most 290 aftermarket (Asus DC II 290X) users even on water have a hard time getting past 150MHz over stock, while the GK110 on air is regularly hitting 400MHz above stock with some custom cards. At stock settings? It's a wash. The 290 matches the 780 at stock, which is a great thing as long as the 290 is being sold at MSRP.

Speaking of which, curious. Why hasnt' there been a max OC 290X vs max OC 780 contest on H yet? Is that coming down the pike? I haven't seen mention of it.

Who said he's biased?
I just think he and whoever helps him review hardware have no idea what they're doing. His benchmarks disagree with the dozens of other reviews from more reputable sources, including OC reviews.

Even their OC spreadsheet is sloppy and incomplete, still waiting for them to clean that up. It's especially disappointing since they don't even review cards at stock, a lot of their OC settings are completely missing from their documentation. His "reviews" look like a project a high school student would make for their Technology class. It's him holding a card for 10 minutes reading the spec sheets and press releases from AMD/Nvidia. I just assumed their lack of expertise is apparent in the quality of their videos. I don't know why we should trust their data when everything else about their "reviews" is so sub-par.

As for the bench itself, it mostly boils down to "We did some stuff with the video cards, here are some fps numbers". Thanks Linus.

Also keep in mind Linus is just a salesman. It's like asking your used car dealer to review the cars he's selling you... Ridiculous.
This is evidenced by the fact that the Watercooling video is just a 7-minute advertisement for Koolance. We spend more time looking at his rig setup than the actual review of the cards. It's like if [H] spent 5 pages showing off their test rig and then half a page of really basic fps graphs and nothing else.

It happens for HardOCP a lot as well. They're called AMD biased. HardAMD. Etc.
H hasn't reviewed an EVGA card for like 5+ years. I just assumed there was bad blood between them and Nvidia based on that.
Or just EVGA. Basically the same thing.

Last edited:
Who said he's biased?
I just think he and whoever helps him review hardware have no idea what they're doing. His benchmarks disagree with the dozens of other reviews from more reputable sources, including OC reviews.

Even their OC spreadsheet is sloppy and incomplete, still waiting for them to clean that up. It's especially disappointing since they don't even review cards at stock, a lot of their OC settings are completely missing from their documentation. His "reviews" look like a project a high school student would make for their Technology class. It's him holding a card for 10 minutes reading the spec sheets and press releases from AMD/Nvidia. I just assumed their lack of expertise is apparent in the quality of their videos. I don't know why we should trust their data when everything else about their "reviews" is so sub-par.

As for the bench itself, it mostly boils down to "We did some stuff with the video cards, here are some fps numbers". Thanks Linus.

Also keep in mind Linus is just a salesman. It's like asking your used car dealer to review the cars he's selling you... Ridiculous.
This is evidenced by the fact that the Watercooling video is just a 7-minute advertisement for Koolance. We spend more time looking at his rig setup than the actual review of the cards. It's like if [H] spent 5 pages showing off their test rig and then half a page of really basic fps graphs and nothing else.

H hasn't reviewed an EVGA card for like 5+ years. I just assumed there was bad blood between them and Nvidia based on that.
Or just EVGA. Basically the same thing.

You again, ignorant as a kish of brogues!
All of Linus his OC numbers matched mine. From other sites that hardly do good OC reviews have been on and off most of the time.
And if you spend a bit more time searching rather than bashing Linus you would see more details:
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/10692-video-card-showdown/
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/16152-the-gpu-overclocking-database/

Last edited:
You again, ignorant as a kish of brogues!
All of Linus his OC numbers matched mine. From other sites that hardly do good OC reviews have been on and off most of the time.
And if you spend a bit more time searching rather than bashing Linus you would see more details:
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/10692-video-card-showdown/
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/16152-the-gpu-overclocking-database/
What is all of this non-sense?

Here's Linus' official 290x video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k5_f_gsxJw
(You'll find his OC spreadsheet there)

And I hope you don't have OCD because here's the official "Overclocking Master Sheet" from all of his video descriptions:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...by1jNTFvaTF2UHhaMzdMQ0FNM2c&usp=sharing#gid=0

Oh yes, breathe it in. A master reviewer at work, indeed. And guess what! It's even updated with the new 290x/780 Watercooling results. How wonderful.
Or should we just let his Forum community do all the work for him? Let's tell Kyle and all the other editors at [H] to take a break... Do your reviews on napkins and then fax them over to us and we'll write up the docs for you!

No.

Back