Gtx 780 for 120hz

Hi people,

im considering to upgrade my current card(gtx 670) for a gtx780.

What do you think about it? Currently runing an i7 920@4ghz on a RIIE x58. 120hz/3d/1080p monitor. I really like the lightboost motion clarity and 3d, so my current card does not provide enough framerate on some games and the new ones starts to pushing the card in the low 40s /30s. I know that SLI will give more FPS, but i preffer 1card smooth gameplay over high FPS/stutter.

Any experience would be welcome, too much asking the gtx780 for 120hz(nonCrysis or metroLL)?

Ca i use my current waterblock mcw82 and ramsinks on the card to watercool it? Havent found anything en the web refering to these.

Thanks for any insight, suggestion and help.

780 is another GPU core ( 110 vs 104) so your waterblock is probably no good thanks to diverse die size. 120hz @1080p? I think VEGA made some threads about single and multimonitor builds@ 120Hz, search on the monitor session.

you wont be able to run ultra for 120fps maybe high, also for multiplayer with lot of players your cpu might hinder frame performance a little.

if you want ultra settings and get 120 fps I'm going to say no based on all the review benchmarks. I don't think there is any single card that can avg 120fps at 1080p with ultra settings.

i'm still on a 480 gtx, overclocked to hell. but i get 120fps steady with some cfg tweaks in BF3. For most games I want 120fps in(usually competitive fps games) I make the model detail high and turn everything else low. This makes enemies easier to spot. I said it before but playing BF3 with 120+fps on a 120hz is like cheating.

btw 120hz for single player games isnt as needed imo, unless your using 3d.

Depending on the game, your CPU will bottleneck you more than your GPU will. I'm still hitting 100% utilization on an i7-4770K at 4.6GHZ in BF3 online. Spend money on the CPU first, then worry about the GPU performance.

780 is another GPU core ( 110 vs 104) so your waterblock is probably no good thanks to diverse die size. 120hz @1080p? I think VEGA made some threads about single and multimonitor builds@ 120Hz, search on the monitor session.

Ty, im searching and already PM Vega about it

i'm still on a 480 gtx, overclocked to hell. but i get 120fps steady with some cfg tweaks in BF3. For most games I want 120fps in(usually competitive fps games) I make the model detail high and turn everything else low. This makes enemies easier to spot. I said it before but playing BF3 with 120+fps on a 120hz is like cheating.

btw 120hz for single player games isnt as needed imo, unless your using 3d.

What would you do in my place? Wait for next gen nvidia a year or consider SLI? Im not in competitive FPS, like to play 3d and 2d lightboost so im still happy if i can hit 100 but duno if worth the improvemet going to the 780.

Depending on the game, your CPU will bottleneck you more than your GPU will. I'm still hitting 100% utilization on an i7-4770K at 4.6GHZ in BF3 online. Spend money on the CPU first, then worry about the GPU performance.

Thx for the suggestion, already looking at some newegg combo deals with 100 discount, what mobo u prefer between asrock z87 exteme6/ asus z87-pro / msi z87-g45? Or wait for x99 chipset?

Ty for all notes snd help. Hoping for some more feedback if possible, thx

I would get another 670. I think if you're a frugal shopper you can pick up a 670 for 200-250 in the next month or so.
Check the for sale thread here but tbh just go on amazon. there are tons of 670's at reduced price by Amazon as warehouse deals (customer returns)
the prices fluctuate, just pick one up when it hits your price point.
Bonus is you got 30 days to return it if you don't like the performance :)
not sure if they charge restocking fee, i never had to.

I would advise against upgrading to 780. I think you have enough to enjoy now and hold out for what's next or if you really have the bug, get another 670.

I wouldnt upgrade to haswell, its not really geared for gaming/enthusiast performance. I'd say go ivy bridge or sandy bridge (if you can get a cheap deal).
again I think you have enough for now, there's nothing really pushing you to upgrade. Next architecture for intel and nvidia should be the game changers.

I personally own a 120Hz monitor and 780, in your case, i would get another 670 or even 2 more 670s and have some great performance for the price of the 780

I personally own a 120Hz monitor and 780, in your case, i would get another 670 or even 2 more 670s and have some great performance for the price of the 780

What about frame lag? Not being sarcastic... I thought that SLI increased frame latency and can make games feel weird/laggy. The benefit of 120hz is clarity and no input lag. I have one 680 and would gladly get another if it wouldn't hurt competitive gaming.

What about frame lag? Not being sarcastic... I thought that SLI increased frame latency and can make games feel weird/laggy. The benefit of 120hz is clarity and no input lag. I have one 680 and would gladly get another if it wouldn't hurt competitive gaming.

Thats the reason why i havent jump to SLI, i came from 480SLI, noticed performance decreased in numbers aka FPS, but the experience was smoother, less frame latency for sure.

Vega in a private message just told me that he havent experience anything extrange with sli, but i have the impression that is because he uses 3 cards.

Did nvidia improve frame latencya in their gtx 6xx/7xx series?

Wish somebody could help here with experience wich is really valuable.

Ty all for their feedback and support.

What games do you play? I just upgraded from a 670 to a 780. After an overclock, there is a significant boost. At 1080p you should be able to do 120hz easily in most games.

Too bad reviews only started focusing on frame times lately.
Hope this helps.
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_760_sli_review,7.html
Take a look at the FCAT pages.

Thx for the link, read the whole review including the FCAT part, seems like great results so far, only point is that was using an OC hexa CPU, dunno if that influences the results.

Aprecciate the link.

What games do you play? I just upgraded from a 670 to a 780. After an overclock, there is a significant boost. At 1080p you should be able to do 120hz easily in most games.

Great, did you notice enough improvement at stock?, what games you notice more improvement?

Playing Batman Series in 3d, black ops too, crysis 3, max payne 3 and tomb raider in the future.

What do you recommend me based on your personal experience, nice if you can give me more feedack.

Ty ppl for the help so far, nice info and findings through the post and replies

I actually play at 1440p so I dont have Lightboost. The biggest improvements were Metro 2033 and Crysis 2. I personally go for single GPU solutions especially with such an amazing card like the 780 being an option.

I actually play at 1440p so I dont have Lightboost. The biggest improvements were Metro 2033 and Crysis 2. I personally go for single GPU solutions especially with such an amazing card like the 780 being an option.

What card ref are you using? Given your experience, is this a whorthy upgrade comming form the 670? I know that for that resolution it is, dunno if for 1080p 120hz that im looking.

Ty

Last edited:
I was doing pretty well with one 680 and one 27" 3d monitor, when I went 780 I started with 2 and then added a third...but i'm running surround 3d now not noticing any frame lag. If you play 100% in 3d, you don't need to really crank up the graphics IMO since alot of that doesn't seem to translate well in 3d. You may very well be better off adding a second or third 670 as people suggested and then hold out until Haskell or whatever the new chips are going to be called. Hell, maybe even the refresh...

Personally, I think the 780 makes the most sense when you need SLI and a pair of 680/770 cards is not quite enough - like for running 120hz/3D Surround (which, to my surprise, I really really enjoy)

Two 670s should run laps around a 780 and I really don't think frame lag is an issue.

Here is how I would break down the decision:

1. Money no object - upgrade your CPU and get two 780s
2. Bang for the buck - get a second 670
3. SFF curious - get a 780
4. Interested in Surround gaming - get a 780 (then a second one later)

Thanks to everyone for your perspectives, I bring it down to this for my 1080p/120hz/3d decision:

1. I feel a little short on GPU power with one GTX 670, but decided to keep just a single card solution.

2. Wont upgrade CPU yet because Haswell won't give a big improvement in the gaming area, only specific CPU intensive games.

3. Trying to spend wisely.

4. General census was to SLI 670 instead of investing on a GTX780 but I won't get it because the heat in my room increases a lot with 2 cards.

Considering these factors, do you recommend me to go for the GTX 780? or stay on the 670?

TY all for more info on the subject and help

Are you hitting 30-40FPS in a multiplayer or SP situation?
Any 30+ player situation in your typical modern FPS will benefit from a better CPU. Thing is if you are getting those low frame-rates even in SP, then yes, your GPU will need upgrading (or you need to turn down graphical settings).

*And to add to what DoubleTap said, if you've followed the FCAT/latency numbers since about 2 years ago (when TR started reporting it), you will know that the numbers have been just fine for SLI :p
It's only XF that has some latency issues, but AMD should be finalizing their drivers by end of July (last I heard). Just from a cost standpoint though, adding a second 670 (especially with that 25% open box promo at MC), would be very cost-effective.

Are you hitting 30-40FPS in a multiplayer or SP situation?
Any 30+ player situation in your typical modern FPS will benefit from a better CPU. Thing is if you are getting those low frame-rates even in SP, then yes, your GPU will need upgrading (or you need to turn down graphical settings).

This is where I am - I managed to get a stable (in games, not in torture tests) 4.8Ghz over clock on my 2600k - I use the software to crank it up for BF3 and turn it back to 4.4 when I'm not playing since it's pushing 1.5v - I have 5.0Ghz mostly working but it crashes once in a while and the voltage can go as high as 1.56v which makes me worry.

There are times in BF3 where the frame rate is just insane - it's buttered teflon and so perfect, but other times when it's just OK (which I would call poor in light of the hardware I'm throwing at it)

It almost feels like something is throttling because the game is super smooth when I join, but then the performance seems to drop just a little after a couple minutes - even with the prime runs, my temps don't go above 84C so I don't know what it could be - the 780s are saying 55% utilization on average.

I think the only way I'm going to get a more consistent experience is to go hex core - SB-E or IB-E and push one of those as high as I can. I never really saw the value of water cooling, but I'm at the point where I think it would help and at the same time, I don't really have a way to do it in my mATX system.

I'm planning on getting the Rampage IV Gene and then the low end Hex core, but I'm afraid I'm going to roll all that money into it and not see any real improvement.

Yeah I've heard people talk about BF3 specifically.
dIwlnuU.jpg

Source: http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/battlefield-3-ehd-game-test-gpu.html

Does seem like you need to spend alot just for one game though haha :p

Yeah 100+ min FPS and a 150+ FPS average is pretty damn sweet.
I didn't realize it had such a huge performance boost, or that there were games that could fully take advantage of hex-cores.

Still like I said, that's alot to put down for just one game :p

Good night, thx for the help here in the forums, i decided to bite on the gx780, will report once i get it in about 10 days(outside states).

Great points of view and feedback. Decided to go this way cause temps in the room increase with sli, then i dont want to go through profiles and some "minor" sli inconvenience, want to try the new tech and probably get a 27" ips chinese monitor down the road.

Once i get the card in my hand i can put test results if you want. Let me know and ill update any findings in this 3d lightboost/120hz topic if you think it would help.

Back